CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-08-2013, 06:44 PM   #891
Sean Seale

Profile:
Re: The Official Smolov Support Thread

Did the 6x6 of week 2 today. +10 lbs compared to last week, it felt hard but still easier than the 6x6 from last week... To be continued!
Old 07-08-2013, 07:08 PM   #892
Glenn Plomchok

Profile:

Yes sir! Nice work. Can't wait for you to get to that 10x3 in week 2

De-load for me now...so today was supposed to be some snatch work but I passed due to a nagging wrist injury I'm trying to rest. Did some 70-80-90% DL work for strength (3 rds, moderate rest between sets) then conditioning with DU's, Goblet squats and KB swings. New DU PR at 130 unbroken.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:40 PM   #893
Tristan Hoyle

Profile:

Sweet! That's a pretty nice double under number! I was able to get 109 about 2 weeks ago. There's another kid who's pretty close to me in age who is right on my tail though. I always feel like I start to over think longer sets though, I start confusing myself. :/
Old 07-08-2013, 11:24 PM   #894
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Restarted Smolov Jr. because it didn't work out last week.

Rough and different to BS before Sn/CJ because the body just isn't as warmed up even with warmup sets (warmed up 135x7, 225x4, 255x3 then 265x6x6).

Seriously had some doubts whether I'd get through those 6 sets after set 3 much less past Saturday. Switched to starting off with BS then other work instead of after (though I hit the 6x6 maybe easier after because I think I was better warmed up).

Kind of wondering if a full Smolov cycle is better because of the programmed cycles instead where Smolov Jr is just BOOM!

Still managed to Sn (1@knee, 1@hip) to 70%. They felt proper till it just flatlined.

Here's hoping I can make it through Saturday. Also takes awhile to get through 6 sets with modest rest periods.

What's weird is I've been able to hit 3x5@85% of a daily 1rm after but this 6x6 seems so much harder.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:22 AM   #895
Tristan Hoyle

Profile:

I did the base mesocycle once. Smolov Jr is Way better. Those 7x5's got me every week. There's actually 3 more reps per week in Smolov than Smolov Je is we are just comparing it to the Base Mesocycle. Smolov Jr is basically the Base Mesocycle in a slightly different format. Those 10x3 days appear in both, and suck equally in both.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:30 AM   #896
Michael Loucas

Profile:

Guys, if you're doing any lower body work or wods around smolov jr. for squats, or full smolov I'd recommend stopping immediately. It is going to kill your recovery and chances are slim that you'll finish unless you start with a lower max. The only thing you can really do if you have to do something else, is upper body work. (press, bench press, chin-ups etc). No cardio, and make sure to get enough calories/rest.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:45 AM   #897
Tristan Hoyle

Profile:

I believe Glenn and I have been following it due to the fact that it has been a part of Outlaw programming for the past 3 weeks. Finished with it now. Blair is just starting, I'm sure he knows to limit lower body work, however when doing it with outlaw there was still some form of Oly lifting 4 days a week, and I feel it did not impact my recovery. In fact, the additional speed work most likely helped to clear my legs after squatting.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:50 AM   #898
Glenn Plomchok

Profile:

Michael,

Thanks for the heads up. We had a lot of pressing work the past 3 weeks...I don't recall our WOD's blasting our legs out although we had some strenuous conditioning work with KB's, rowing and bodyweight work on top of working some OLY lifts (EMOM's mainly).

Hardest part was at times, I had to do my smolov work then do the wod after...back to back. We also had Adam Brown on July 4th. Had to hit my 8x4's the next day. ROUGH. I ended up skipping the 10x3's from week 3. Was away on vacation and did not want to be stupid as I was pretty shot. I got a lot out of the 3 weeks. The re-test should be interesting. We start Hatch next week...
Old 07-09-2013, 04:38 PM   #899
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Quote:
Blair is just starting, I'm sure he knows to limit lower body work
No, not really. I snatched doubles from the knee and hip after to about 70% before they crapped out and finished with ascending Snatch PP for 3's and Pendlay Rowsx5's (apparently done incorrectly as my grip might have been too wide [Sn grip] without deloading each rep.

I had heard of the Russian Squat routine and Smolov before but didn't get the idea to maybe try it till I saw it on Outlaw (though I do not follow Outlaw). I've got about 3 weeks of time to spare so I want to try out while I have the time though my pull is what needs work more than my squat.

But Squatting is fun. Though I'm not sure this high volume squatting is fun at all.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:47 PM   #900
Glenn Plomchok

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe View Post

Though I'm not sure this high volume squatting is fun at all.
Ha ha...WORD!