CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > In Search of CrossFitters
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

In Search of CrossFitters For finding other CrossFitters to CrossFit with

Old 05-25-2011, 12:26 AM   #1
Sami Palmer

Profile:
Juneau Alaska Crossfit!?

Does anyone have a crossfit setup in juneau alaska? I miss my bumper plates and a real pull up bar!
Old 06-13-2011, 05:19 PM   #2
Sami Palmer

Profile:
Re: Juneau Alaska Crossfit!?

or does anyone do crossfit at pavitts?
Old 06-16-2011, 12:48 PM   #3
Russ Stevens

Profile:

I do - I do!

Great to find you on here Sami....I have been doing crossfit workouts (some highly modified) for a few months at Pavitt's. Also, I just started a Facebook group called Juneau Crossfitters - check it out! At least one of the trainers at Pavitt's is also interested in CF and I have a couple other people that might be interested in doing group workouts. Who knows, we might even be able to start our own place someday....

What's your story?

Russ Stevens
Old 06-16-2011, 09:42 PM   #4
Sami Palmer

Profile:

AHHHHH !!!! I AM SO EXCITED !!! FINALLY! I just moved up from park city utah. I went to speallers gym for almost a year so i know range of motion and i can make sure everyone is doing things safely. I just bought a bike because i live downtown and couldnt stand going to JRC... no lifting platform means i cant pay to go there.
What time do you usually go at ? I would love to get a group together!

some lady emailed me and said shes trying to set up a crossfit here .. its been a while since i have heard back so i dont have a clue what the status is on that!
Old 06-17-2011, 03:46 PM   #5
Russ Stevens

Profile:

I'm usually at Pavitt's in the morning before work....from 7:30 to 8:30 or so but my work schedule is flexible. There is usually NOBODY in there and I have the entire free weight/lifting platform area to myself. The only thing I haven't been able to do CF-wise are ring-based. I teach boxing there so they don't care if I'm back there throwing a ball against the wall or making weird noises!

There were a few guys who had a group organized and were doing CF pretty regular about a year ago but not recently. I'm not sure about any other groups in town - thus the Facebook group....hopefully that will attract some others.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:24 PM   #6
Sami Palmer

Profile:

oh cool! they actually have a decent setup for crossfit.. wish there was another pull up bar besides that one. do you live down town or in the valley? i would be going in the morning as well but it does take me 50 minutes to get there by bike so 7 30 might be a bit early to get there by. i have this aftenoon off from work so i was going to ride down there.. not sure what time.. hopefully ill get there no later than 7pm.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:27 AM   #7
Russ Stevens

Profile:

I live in the valley so it is pretty close for me....look into taking the bus - it stops pretty close to Pavitt's!

Yeah, one pull-up bar isn't ideal - but there is also the Gravitron for newbies like me and you can also do pull-ups on one of the universal machines in that area.

They need some real plyo boxes and a real medicine ball or three also.

Did Cindy this morning and am sitting at work totally spent! Good times....hope we can workout together sometime!

Russ
Old 06-21-2011, 01:28 AM   #8
Sami Palmer

Profile:

Yes we will have to get to the gym together! i bet i could do the early bus and then ride back.. that wouldnt be so bad.. i am going to ride out there tomorrow night to do a wod from the park city sight...
I can teach you how to do kipping pull ups when we can go at the same time..
we could make a medicine ball if we wanted to..

i havent done cindy in a while... i think that one is my least favorite! maybe not worse than fight gone bad.. how many rounds did you get ? whats your favorite wod so far ? do you just pick an choose which wod to do or do you follow a sight ?

also i need to get some chalk for pull ups... and i want to switch the bars.. so the middle one is on the outside.... that one isnt as slippery...
Old 06-24-2011, 11:05 AM   #9
Russ Stevens

Profile:

Great - any tips you can give me would help a ton!

I'm just picking WOD's out of the hat at this point just so I can try different ones and make sure I know how to do each of the exercises....I got 10 rounds on the 10 minute Cindy - I don't see how anyone could do Cindy for 20 minutes without just resting a bunch - I was spent.

Did my first CF Total to get some baseline numbers for my strength days and got

Deadlift - 375
Press - 190
Squat - 325
Total - 890

Bench for fun - 335

Not too bad but I weigh 275 so lots of work to be done.....

Russ
Old 06-24-2011, 01:20 PM   #10
Sami Palmer

Profile:

You just go deep into the cave of pain ... sometimes it hurts so much.. but it really cant get much worse than it already is... your breathing so heavy but somehow you just keep going... its almost calming after a while...
and yes the first couple months i was exhausted after the wod everyday! and i woke up sore every single day.. that goes away in a little while.

i hate cindy and fight gone bad but the worst wod i have ever done was
10 rounds:
10 pull up
10 push ups
10 sit ups
10 squats
10 double unders
10 kb swings
10 box jumps
10 walking lunges
10 toes to bar
10 super mans
it took me 44 min and 44 sec... i dont know if i will ever do that one again... it just really sucked.
that sounds like a really good baseline as long as you have good form.
my total i think is DL- 265, BS- 205, press 85 and i am about 150 lbs

today will be a chipper

30 wall burpees,
30 sand bag push press (80#/40#),
30 double unders,
30 cal row,
30 russian kettle bell swings (70#/53#),
30 box jumps…
and then in reverse order 15 reps of each.
hoping for less than 15 min