CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-20-2011, 10:49 AM   #1
Carl Amolat

Profile:
Deload Week Programmings

I'm contemplating doing a deload week in the next couple weeks or so and just have a few questions about them. If I perform the same WODs on the CFE website but in the form of a deload how would I modify them (i.e. loading for weight lifting, reps for bodyweight exercises, etc...)?

And also out of curiousity how often are deload weeks typically performed? I understand it depends on the individual and the program, but I figured I'd ask.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:04 AM   #2
Ben Kissam

Profile:
Re: Deload Week Programmings

Not sure exactly how to "program" a deload week, but a few weeks back I was feeling crappy and my work outs were tanking because of it. I decided to take a light week and did all my barbell lifts in 3 sets of 5 at 55-65-75% of my 1rm. I rested fully twice and also ran twice during that week I believe. The following week I set PR's in all my 1rm's. That was me programming it on my own but that's my experience FWIW.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:10 AM   #3
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

There is not set way to "deload." You need to find what works for you. Helping you figure out how to deload might depend on how you are feeling intensity wise when working out, how your lifts are performing and how you feel throughout the day.

If you feel motivated, driven and not tired throughout the day, you might just cut back a little. If you feel completely burnout, you might want to take the whole week off then do a light/moderate week then get back into the swing of things.

Ways to deload might include:
less days training
less total sets
using lower weights/percentages
eliminating assistance work
eliminating primary work and just doing assistance work
switching to a recovery driven work of light/high rep work just to circulate

This comes from my mindset which is more strength based, I don't have a lot of experience with CV/endurance deloading.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:26 AM   #4
Matt Haxmeier

Profile:

The deload week in 5/3/1 is

3 sets of 5 reps @
40% of training max
50% of training max
60% of training max

and my training max is still below my actual max by quite a bit 6 cycles in. So deload numbers end up feeling like a joke. You often don't even reach your warm up weights. But that's kind of the point. You hit the movements to stay in the groove but don't tax yourself at all.

You should scale intensity (both in terms of weight and workout intensity) as well as volume. Just do some movements to stay limber and keep focus.

So I'd say either:
a.) not do the wods at all
b.) do them but not for time and focus on form. rest as needed. do them light, break them into manageable sets, etc.
c.) just do something else. Hit some light barbell lifts. Work on foam rolling and mobility. Maybe a light jog or row.

Last edited by Matt Haxmeier : 03-22-2011 at 09:30 AM.
Old 04-10-2011, 02:37 PM   #5
Carl Amolat

Profile:

Nice insights everyone. I appreciate it. I may or may not do a deload week either this week or next week.
Old 04-10-2011, 03:10 PM   #6
Jeffrey Cupra

Profile:

Or deacrease volume while keeping up the intensity (i.e big weights less sets), or decrease intenisity while keeping up the volume (i.e 40% to 65% of 1RM)