CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 02-22-2011, 09:52 PM   #1
Steven M Hale

Profile:
so... having shoe issues

I'm in need of some weight lifting shoes, but I have some feet issues. start off with I have no arch to speak of. most of it is because of the elasticity in my joints (kinda double jointed).as of right now I use some new balance cross trainers in a 4e width. decent shoe for most things at the gym but not weight lifting. There doesn't seem to be any place to try shoes out they are all order in. seems to me that if i'm spending $140 plus $25 for shipping to Canada and if they don't fit its a restock fee plus more shipping. width doesn't seem to be an option when ordering shoes. So does anybody have any advice or a place where I can get extra wide or custom shoes? I seem to like the risto sports shoes, and they say they have custom shoes but its for colors it looks like. I have attached some pics of my feet so you can see my dilemma.

Thanks for the help

Steve Hale
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00015-20110222-2107.jpg
Views:	512
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	7605  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00017-20110222-2108.jpg
Views:	416
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	7606  
Old 02-23-2011, 07:42 AM   #2
Todd Rehm

Profile:
Re: so... having shoe issues

I wear a 4e width in running shoes, and a multi-e or extra-wide in everything. I also have what a podiatrist described as the flattest arches he'd ever seen in years of practice.

I use the Do-win weightlifting shoes and they work incredibly well for me. They have a nice roomy toebox that doesn't crush my toes, and the absence of arch-support doesn't bother me.

I bought my do-wins from vsathletics.com (wfs) because I could get them for $50 at the time and had a fine experience.

Power Firm at http://www.weightliftingshoes.ca/about.htm (wfs) has Do-wins in Canadia. I corresponded with the owner about getting some of those old blue suede Do-wins a while ago, and while I didn't order them, I was impressed with his knowledge of his product and what he does to ensure it fits the end-user.

If I were buying the shoes in Canadia, I'd go with Power Firm.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:47 PM   #3
Jason A Smith

Profile:

I bought my weightlifting shoes from Power Firm. Joe was awesome to deal with. I had the advantage of being able to go there and try them on. I got the old school Polish weightlifting shoes. Love them and have set all my lifting PR's in them. Just need a blue Inzer belt to match now !
Old 02-23-2011, 08:17 PM   #4
Matt Payne

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven M Hale View Post
I'm in need of some weight lifting shoes, but I have some feet issues. start off with I have no arch to speak of. most of it is because of the elasticity in my joints (kinda double jointed).as of right now I use some new balance cross trainers in a 4e width. decent shoe for most things at the gym but not weight lifting. There doesn't seem to be any place to try shoes out they are all order in. seems to me that if i'm spending $140 plus $25 for shipping to Canada and if they don't fit its a restock fee plus more shipping. width doesn't seem to be an option when ordering shoes. So does anybody have any advice or a place where I can get extra wide or custom shoes? I seem to like the risto sports shoes, and they say they have custom shoes but its for colors it looks like. I have attached some pics of my feet so you can see my dilemma.

Thanks for the help

Steve Hale
Steve, you can order ROGUE Do wins from ROGUE Canada directly. They are based in Alberta.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:27 AM   #5
Steven M Hale

Profile:

well as far as rogue Canada I went to sparks performance in Edmonton but they don't keep any of the shoes in stock so they have to be ordered in, same problem. For the do-wins I've read that the old ones were wider and made better than the new ones ( http://buyweightliftingshoes.com/rev...ay-2010-dowin/ ) something about being made in china and quality control isn't quite what it could be. but people are more likely to post bad reviews for something they don't like as compared to people buy something and it just works well for them. I did go to the power firm website and it does request that I send an outline of my feet with the order so that does sound promising.

i'll send some of the companies email asking them

Steve
Old 02-24-2011, 05:01 PM   #6
Seth Spritz

Profile:

Steve, I've been down this road already with my "wide" feet. The situation is somewhat problematic. You can probably rule out Nike and Adidas weightlifting shoes. They will be too narrow for your feet. My personal experience with the Do-Wins is in line with the review on the website that you mentioned. My older pair fit very well in the toe box and have been problem-free, but the newer Do-Wins were both poorly constructed (the sole became unglued after my second weightlifting session) and they were narrower in the toe box than my first pair. My experience was also the same as the reviewer that my shoes were drop shipped from MuscleDriver even though I purchased them from a different seller.

I would recommend that you read my recent reviews of the Again Faster Talons (made by Risto) for weightlifting or the Safe USA SST powerlifting shoes if you will only be powerlifting. The Talons have a generous toebox and are a high quality shoe. The Safe USA SST's are made in custom widths and they have excellent service. I have heard mixed opinions about buying custom weightlifting shoes directly from Risto. Some individuals have reported problems here and I have never seen these issues directly rebutted by the makers of Risto shoes. Again Faster will give you superlative service and will stand behind their product.

Last edited by Seth Spritz : 02-24-2011 at 05:22 PM.
Old 03-02-2011, 03:58 PM   #7
Steven M Hale

Profile:

I ended up going with the risto sports after emailing them, cause they said they could custom make them in any size that I needed. they were a lot of money at $180 but I will pay good money for good products, so I have high expectations

Steve