CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 10-20-2010, 04:14 PM   #1
Sam Radetsky

Profile:
Prowler or Butcher?

Does anyone have any experience with the new Rogue Butcher sled? I have used the Prowler (econo) and it is great, but never the Butcher. Both prices are fairly similar and it is hard to tell much from photos, but they look almost identical. If anyone has used both (or just the Butcher) and can give me some feedback, I would appreciate it.

Thanks.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:17 PM   #2
Andy Kauth

Profile:
Re: Prowler or Butcher?

Never used the Prowler. Rogue Butcher is awesome. Multiple pushing bars (not unlike most "Prowlers"}. Originally felt like the "removable handles" weren't all that solid, but once you throw some weight on, it's all good. Other than that, solid as a tank. Generally less expensive than the Prowler (unless you can find one used, which you'll probably only find on ebay), and it's made in the U.S.A.
Old 10-22-2010, 11:24 PM   #3
William Henniger

Profile:

Andy:

As you mentioned once weight is on the handles there is zero movement but we recognized that it wasn't perfect.

Fix: We had custom drawn over mandrel tube made to receive the uprights. This makes the latest version feel like it was machined!

We just used the Butchers at the team competition in Tahoe, it was brutal. Should be some videos up on the main site pretty soon

Bill
Old 11-04-2010, 08:58 PM   #4
Adam Dunn

Profile:

Anyone used the Christian's Fitness Factory Hi/Lo Push Pull Sled?

I'm asking because it seems very similiar to the Rogue butcher (handles seem very similiar, 11 gauge steel, etc.) but the CFF one has two main advantages to me.

1. Price. The CFF sled is $175 shipped to Eastern/Central time zones right now (+$9 to Mountain/Pacific) including that it's $15 off for the month of November along with all other CFF-manufactured gear. The Rogue butcher on the other hand is $302. That's $127 that I could by other toys with...

2. Pull feature. The CFF sled comes with a free 16' strap with hand loops (while supplies last...) and carabiner for pulling exercises. The Rogue butcher does not and doesn't appear to be setup for pulling via a strap right out of the box. I'm sure it's easy to rig but still.

Anyone see a reason not by buy the CFF sled versus the Rogue Butcher? I love Rogue but CFF is also a great company and I guess I'm asking anyone who's used the Butcher or maybe Bill if he's so inclined to justify that product over the seemingly similiar and significantly cheaper one offered by Christian's.

Thanks for any info provided.

Links (both WFS):

CFF Sled: http://www.christiansfitnessfactory....Push-Pull-Sled

Rogue Butcher: http://www.roguefitness.com/store/rogue_butcher.php

Last edited by Adam Dunn : 11-04-2010 at 09:01 PM. Reason: Links
Old 11-06-2010, 03:31 PM   #5
Brian Anson

Profile:  

The CFF sled looks like a good deal- anyone here have one to review?
Old 11-06-2010, 03:58 PM   #6
Casey Raiford

Profile:

We just bought two of the CFF sleds and they're great. Super price. Really, really setup (<5 minutes). We've pulled and pushed over cement sidewalks, grass and horse stall mats. Materially they're on par with all the other sleds I've seen. I can't find a reason not to recommend it.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:46 AM   #7
Adam Dunn

Profile:

Bump.

Anyone from Rogue and/or anyone who has used the Butcher that can attest to it's awesomeness WRT the $127 price premium over the CFF sled?
Old 11-09-2010, 12:03 PM   #8
William Henniger

Profile:

Here is the Butcher in use at CrossFit Central - SicFit Production - http://sicfit.com/coverage/237386-A-...e-by-Rob-Garza wfs
Old 11-09-2010, 07:32 PM   #9
Adam Dunn

Profile:

Awesome video, looks like a fun workout. Honestly, the only thing holding me back from buying the butcher is that the CFF sled looks to be equally well-built, equally if not slightly better designed (provided hook & strap for pulling), and is $127 cheaper...
Old 11-09-2010, 11:30 PM   #10
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

I have an Econo Prowlwer from Elite. Solid. Fun and difficult to push on the grass. I used to drag it too with a tow strap, but because the weight is on the back the front will lift up a times and sway back and forth based on my leg movement. I think the Prowler/Butcher's are great for pushing movements, but not as effective for sled dragging. So I bought a sled from Rogue and it is a great supplement to the Prowler. The sled is easy to grab for quick workouts. If you can afford it, I'd get one of both or make a homemade sled and still get the Prowler or Butcher.

Often when running is called in WOD's, I'll sub in the Prowler due to the fact I workout late at night and don't want to get hit by a car while running, so I'll Prowler push through my yard.