CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 09-14-2010, 09:44 PM   #31
Chris Mason

Profile:
Re: deadlift 1rm

I pull a lot like KK. I always hear about rounding my back when I post vids of my bigger pulls. Upper back rounding, if trained for, is acceptable. Lowering back rounding is not. If you watch this video of me pulling 775 lbs at Westside you will see that while my upper back rounds my lower back remains pretty flat.

WFS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcWJot8zZ64

The fellow in this thread is horribly rounding his lower back which will lead to injury eventually. I have injured my lower back badly twice in my life and trust me when I say it is not a good thing...
Old 09-14-2010, 09:44 PM   #32
Troy Becker

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darla Powell View Post
I hurt my back badly last week doing DLs. I've been flat on my back since. I was trying to repeat a PR, felt my back round, heard a 'pop' and bam. Done. Went to the ER and got happy pills and have been out of work since then. It can happen.
Stronger abs might help to prevent that, not that I guarantee it.
Old 09-15-2010, 06:24 AM   #33
Zach Price

Profile:

I would say do 1RM's about as often as the CF total comes up on the mainsight. I rarely get injured. Mikko would say never do 1RM's and he never gets injured. Merely something to think about I'm no expert.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:27 AM   #34
Robert Callahan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
I pull a lot like KK. I always hear about rounding my back when I post vids of my bigger pulls. Upper back rounding, if trained for, is acceptable. Lowering back rounding is not. If you watch this video of me pulling 775 lbs at Westside you will see that while my upper back rounds my lower back remains pretty flat.

WFS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcWJot8zZ64

The fellow in this thread is horribly rounding his lower back which will lead to injury eventually. I have injured my lower back badly twice in my life and trust me when I say it is not a good thing...
Strong Pull! 700+ is dam impressive
Old 09-15-2010, 01:55 PM   #35
Brian Blaston

Profile:

I had disc surgery 3 years ago and i think my scar just burned like Harry Potter's.

shoulders back, hips down.

If you nail your form down you will see big gains, WAY faster than your current form.
Old 09-15-2010, 07:07 PM   #36
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Callahan View Post
Strong Pull! 700+ is dam impressive
Thanks!
Old 09-15-2010, 09:43 PM   #37
Troy Becker

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Price View Post
I would say do 1RM's about as often as the CF total comes up on the mainsight. I rarely get injured. Mikko would say never do 1RM's and he never gets injured. Merely something to think about I'm no expert.
Rip points out that among non advanced lifters, if not advanced ones as well, I forget, when you go for a 1RM and you can't do it, nothing happens- the bar doesn't move. He contends that a 5RM, or a 10RM even more so, would be more dangerous.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:56 PM   #38
Robert Callahan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Becker View Post
Rip points out that among non advanced lifters, if not advanced ones as well, I forget, when you go for a 1RM and you can't do it, nothing happens- the bar doesn't move. He contends that a 5RM, or a 10RM even more so, would be more dangerous.
That is for advanced lifters. This is because advanced lifters, or at least experienced lifters, know how to lock their back out.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:05 AM   #39
Thomas Green

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark E. Wallace View Post
Ego.
Oh definitely - there have been plenty of times where I haven't taken my own advice and the result wasn't pretty. Not saying it's easy, but not getting that 30lb PR sure as hell beats spending months on your back and in traction!
Old 09-16-2010, 09:28 AM   #40
Brian Bedell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darla Powell View Post
I hurt my back badly last week doing DLs. I've been flat on my back since. I was trying to repeat a PR, felt my back round, heard a 'pop' and bam. Done. Went to the ER and got happy pills and have been out of work since then. It can happen.
This is both an example of the fact that good form should be used at all times, and also bolsters the fact that 1RM are generally not useful.

Darla, my recollection is that you have not been around all that long and thus I really see no reason for you to be doing a 1RM PR, if that is in fact what you were doing. I have not done a 1RM on a DL in well over a year. It's unnecessary.

Add 10% to your 5 RM and that's an honest 1RM, many formula's will tell you 15-20%. I'm 42 and DL 420x5 last week and BS 370 3x5 ATF. I'm confidenet saying my DL 1rm is 460+. This does not make me awesome, but I do say makes me a smart trainee. I have been squatting since HS and DL for about 3 years, I have never had any injury at all.