CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-09-2010, 12:59 PM   #1
Mark Kosmowski

Profile:
avoiding the coworkers candy bin

I know it is a shock that the 290 lb man has a problem avoiding the coworker's candy bin, but there it is. (sarcasm) I think I've found something that helps - first, just try to resist the urge as much as possible and when I'm at the point where I'd give in, I just take a small sip of some fat-free, extra vitimin chocolate milk.

Is this consistent with a baby step approach of weening oneself off of too much sweets indulgence?
Old 08-09-2010, 01:14 PM   #2
Scott Donchak

Profile:
Re: avoiding the coworkers candy bin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kosmowski View Post
I know it is a shock that the 290 lb man has a problem avoiding the coworker's candy bin, but there it is. (sarcasm) I think I've found something that helps - first, just try to resist the urge as much as possible and when I'm at the point where I'd give in, I just take a small sip of some fat-free, extra vitimin chocolate milk.

Is this consistent with a baby step approach of weening oneself off of too much sweets indulgence?
What's your diet looking like right now?

If you eat enough healthy fats daily, you can drastically curb cravings for sugar/carbs/unhealthy fat. Fruit helps too.

Calorie deficit=/= starvation. If you're hungry, eat. But grab some nuts or veggies first.

You've got the right idea by having a suppliment nearby to satisfy urges. Chocolate milk might not be your best option though.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:15 PM   #3
Brent Eno

Profile:

Its just self-control. Thats it. If you are set on accomplishing your goals, then candy should be the last thing you want.

My suggestion would be to carry around some fresh pineapple or some other good fruit in tupperware at work. Eat that, along with a few almonds, when you get a sweet craving.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:32 PM   #4
Renee Lee

Profile:

Quote:

uh...no.

a) you shouldn't be drinking any kind of fat-free milk, ever.
b) chocolate milk is by no stretch of the imagination "healthy."
c) your problem is mental fortitude and the way you THINK about food: rewarding yourself for X with candy, or whatever the reasons you dive into the candy bowl are not healthy eating habits. Even if you replace your reward, you're not solving the underlying problem.

Short term: eat a piece of fruit when you want candy.
Long term: consider your goals and where you are in relation to them every time you crave sugar. Ask yourself if eating X is going to get you closer or further from your goals. If the answer is "further," ask yourself if it's worth it. Most of the time it's not.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:41 PM   #5
Matt Haxmeier

Profile:

10 burpees per piece of candy might do the trick.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:43 PM   #6
Renee Lee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Haxmeier View Post
10 burpees per piece of candy might do the trick.
Not really...this is the correlate to eating crap as a reward: doling out punishments for eating crap. It's just not a healthy way to think about food.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:47 PM   #7
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

If you read the label on that chocolate milk, it probably has just as much sugar as the candy. At least with the candy dish you know what you're getting.

Have some fruit. Or some nuts. Or eat enough at meals to avoid hunger in between.

Katherine
Old 08-09-2010, 02:10 PM   #8
William A Cantrell

Profile:

Not really a good switch at all. You are switching one bad food item for another. Honestly your determination has to come from within, but if you cant then ask that coworker (or all of them for help) tell him/her not to let you have any community candy. Also a trick that plays on the taste buds is sweet/spicy use the same taste receptors just like and sour/bitter do the same thing. Eat something spicy when you crave something sweet and you wont anymore...(atleast for a little while)
Old 08-09-2010, 02:29 PM   #9
Mark Kosmowski

Profile:

The chocolate milk has 8 servings per half gallon, each serving has 27 g total carbs (9% by the US RDA). At my current rate of consumption it will take at least a week to go through the whole half gallon. I don't know what I'm getting in the candy because they come from a large bag and are not individually labelled.

Part of the reason I chose chocolate milk is that a different coworker, a marathon runner, mentioned that the fat-free chocolate milk is a good recovery drink. Thank you for reminding me to verify things like this.

I'm rather ignorant about nutrition at the moment. Maybe I should put some nutrition books in the budget ahead of Starting Strength. From a dietary perspective, my main priority is to avoid future gout flareups. This means, from my limited research, to limit fats and fructose, which are metabolized by the liver.

I think I will budget for some nutrition books sooner rather than later because I really don't know what too eat. Growing up, grocery store pizza was a staple. Well, I guess part of being an adult is figuring out how and what to do differently when the prior behavior doesn't work.

I've been eating lean meats such as turkey (we're subbing ground turkey whenever we used to use ground beef) and vegetables, trying to maximize fiber as a mechanism for feeling full. I'm also trying to drink at least 3 L water everyday. Soda is mostly gone (maybe once every two weeks will have some

The candy craving isn't about hunger. I'm able to resist hunger. It is something else, maybe just a chocolate / sweets craving, that I don't understand enough to put into words. Figuring this out better will probably be helpful.

Maybe we've just recently made too big of a financial / dietary change from eating out way too much to cooking in almost exclusively, especially using the Weight Watchers model. I have lost 20 lbs since April due to dietary changes. Recently adding exercise to my routine seems to be changing fat to muscle with little weight change - this is expected based on the last time I exercised regularly.

For me, diet change is more about finances, for my wife it is more about our health. I save money by not eating out as often as I did; as a side benefit I lost weight. Recently I've added some health / fitness goals which are what led me here.

I hope this isn't too disorganized. Thank you for being willing to be here while I get this sorted out.
Old 08-09-2010, 02:42 PM   #10
Tavia Redburn

Profile:

Quote:

Part of the reason I chose chocolate milk is that a different coworker, a marathon runner, mentioned that the fat-free chocolate milk is a good recovery drink. Thank you for reminding me to verify things like this.
One of my coaches swears by drinking chocolate milk after a WOD for recovery.