CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 07-22-2010, 07:55 AM   #1
Cassie Crosby

Profile:
If you stay ready, you ain't got to get ready

I started CrossFit about three weeks ago at CrossFit Ponte Vedra in Ponte Vedra Beach, FL and Monday was my last beginner class. I'm going to maintain a log so I can track my progress and I figured that this was as good of a place as any. This is my first post in the CrossFit forums after lurking for a couple of weeks.
My husband has been urging me to check out CF for over a year and i kept insisting that I was good with weightlifting and running. After hitting a major plateau, burning out and gaining 10 lbs I decided it was time for a change. Once again, my husband urged me to try CF and sent me numerous links on CF affiliate locations close to me and the CF website. With minimal other options on the horizon, I decided to give it a shot and I LOVE IT. The thing I love most about crossfit is that the workouts are so varied that everyday you experience pain in a new place; places where you didn't even know you had muscles. I am also following a Zone-type eating regimen but I really suck at getting the proper proportions and seem to always end up with a higher ratio of protein than carbs. Nonetheless, in just three weeks I have more energy and I can already see changes in my body.
Here are my last two WODs:

Tuesday, 20 JUL 10
3 Rounds for Time
14 Box Jumps (20")
21 wall Balls (15 lb)
14 Ring Dips (Purple band)
7 Deadlifts (105 lbs)
Time 15:24

Wednesday, 21 JUL 10
3 rounds for time, bar can only be put down between rounds (55 lbs)
7 clean deadlift
7 hang clean
7 front squat
Time 3:20 (Definitely too light)
Old 07-22-2010, 06:04 PM   #2
Cassie Crosby

Profile:
Re: If you stay ready, you ain't got to get ready

Awesome workout today though harder than I thought it was going to be. The workout was "Something I can't remember right now" That. Oh, my brain. Is it tanata or...oh wait, Tabata That, I think. So it was 20 seconds of reps with 10 seconds of rest x 8 with a 1 minutes rest between exercises. Most people probably know that but this was a new concept to me. The exercises were:
Squat (13)
Ab-mat situp (12)
Pullups w/Green Band (3)
Pushups (10)
Row (3 calories)
Total Score: 43

I also read the inspirational Paleo thirty day thing today and decided instead of doing a 30-day challenge I would just transition from the zone in to Paleo, today, and see how it goes. Since I started the zone and stopped eating processed foods, I feel like I recover a lot faster and have more energy... Well, until I pick my almost three year old up from daycare anyway. My goal right now is to do real pullups and stop getting hung up in that annoying band.
Old 07-23-2010, 03:51 AM   #3
Cassie Crosby

Profile:

Going out of town so no CF until Monday. My body needs a break after four days straight. I'll run a 5K or so Saturday morning to loosen up and give my traps, lats and shoulders a break for a couple days.
Old 07-23-2010, 05:46 AM   #4
Ryan Crosby

Profile:

It looks like I'm coming home from Afghanistan early, so hopefully once I get integrated at the affiliate near Fort Bragg, I can start doing WODs with you.

Way to go, baby.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:03 AM   #5
Cassie Crosby

Profile:

Back at it at 0530 monday morning. Today was crossfit totals for Back Squat, Press and Deadlift. My totals were as follows:

Back Squat - 125 (very sad but i got stuck in the bottom when i tried to go heavier)
Press - 70
Deadlift - 195
L-sit - 10 seconds (these are actually quite difficult)

I'm still on track with the whole Paleo thing for the most part except I'm pretty sure that morning star breakfast sausage, although a by-product of vegetables, is not Paleo. I had to eat something though this morning or I would have died. OK, maybe that's a little melodramatic. I would have been exceptionally hungry and I'm never as organized as I would like to be on Mondays so that was a quick fix.
I read something the other day (that I can't find now) that said to lock yourself in a dark room at night and sleep for 9 hours straight or cortisol will surely keep you from reaching your fitness goals. All I can say is that this person obviously doesn't have a toddler. Using the backward planning process last night I calculated that I had to be asleep by 9 last night so that I could at least get 8 hours of sleep before crossift at 0530. At 9:30, I finally had the little one asleep. At 11, she tossed and turned and then said her ear hurt and insisted that she needed juice to fix her ear (she doesn't get juice at night so of course, this was a 30-minute brawl). At 3, I had to pee and then at 4:58, 7 minutes before my alarm, she wanted juice for her ear again. I might mention that at 7:30, when asked about her ear, she looked at me like I was crazy and said, "My ear, no, it's not hurt." So, while I would love to lock myself in a dark room and sleep for 9 hours straight more than anything in the whole world, I think my darling two-year old has other plans. And that's what we call expectation management.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:33 AM   #6
Cassie Crosby

Profile:

Today's workout was called "The Platypus" and consisted of 15 minutes as many rounds as possible of "Cindy". for every round under 18.5, add 10 kettlebell swings or burpees. I completed 14 and almost a half rounds with the green band for pullups and going to my knees halfway through. I really should have just completed the pushups the proper way but i would have had to do a lot more KB swings. As it was, I had to do 40.

Had a major moment of weakness yesterday and binged on natural peanut butter and coconut. I was starving and couldn't stop. I decided not to eat dinner after my totally non-paleo binge and try out IF. So I didn't eat anything from about 4 p.m. until after my workout and holy freakin' cow it almost killed me. And that is not me being melodramatic. I was all lightheaded and shaky and headachy and nauseous. And then i went home and had some eggs with tomatos and I suddenly felt great. I like the concept but I don't know that I like feeling that way. I think it would have been better if I had at least fasted after a meal. And now I know.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:16 AM   #7
Cassie Crosby

Profile:

Woke up this morning feeling tired and dreading day 3 but knowing that tomorrow is a rest day helped get me motivated.

Today's WOD was three sets for time of
10 snatch deadlift
10 hang snatch (? terminology)
10 OH Squat
10 snatch press (?)

I did it in 10:13 with only 35 lbs. I should have gone heavier but I was tired today and I really wanted to concentrate on form since Olympic lifting is new to me. I tweaked my shoulder practicing snatches but it's fine now. Thank you ridiculous amounts of fish oil.

Speaking of fish oil, I decided to jump on the bandwagon and commit to the Whole30 challenge yesterday. I already feel much better since cleaning up my diet and cutting out alcohol (during the week) and grains about a month ago, so I'm hoping that this really whips my butt in to shape and makes me appreciate eating clean and making aweome gains. And this isn't just about the 30 days for me, the 30 days is a benchmark. This is about convinving myself that it feels good to eat clean and that the results are worth it. Now, to figure out how I am going to go 30 days without gum.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:28 PM   #8
Jim Colby

Profile:

I love the title of your log. So much easier to stay fit than to try to get back in shape!
Old 07-30-2010, 05:42 AM   #9
Cassie Crosby

Profile:

@Jim - EXACTLY!

Yesterday was a rest day for me although I was set back by some personal stress and I could literally feel the cortisol invading my body. Today's workout suffered as a result but today is just one day of many more to come.
WOD was 10!
Sumo Deadlift High Pull (65 lbs)
L-Chinups (purple band, no L)
11:14

I was sucking on the chinups but the difference between the purple and the green band is huge and there is no in between so I decided to work harder on the chinups and take more time instead of working easier. Overall, it was a fun morning at CF Ponte Vedra.
Paleo is working out really well for me. I have no cravings anymore and my clothes are getting loose which is a good sign. I can't really comment on gains because I don't have enough history with CF to really see where I'm getting stronger but I know my cardiovascular endurance during workouts is getting better. When I first started, even though I run regularly, I was sucking wind during workouts. I don't notice that as much now and my intensity has definitely improved.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:55 AM   #10
Cassie Crosby

Profile:

Yesterday, I was out of town so I ran about 3 miles. Not sure of the time but we were probably running about a 8:30 per mile pace, give or take. Today is a rest day although I did a few wind sprints while walking with the family. Back at it again tomorrow. I can't wait!