CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-30-2010, 09:46 PM   #101
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: Vegan Paleo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Becker View Post
The DRI link in your signature would suggest otherwise- though I have to ask what it's all about? It gave me a high carb low protein low fat diet.
...and recommended only 75g of protein and a whopping 456-658g of carbs a day for me, and that I avoid saturated fat and dietary cholesterol as much as possible. Oh, and that I'm obese based on BMI. You've just gotta accept that this is Darryl's M.O. as far as nutrition goes--consider his recommendations, then weigh them against everyone else's that you read.
Old 06-01-2010, 07:22 AM   #102
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marnee Dearman View Post
A "95%" meat diet will make ya feel bad, huh? Hrm then the traditional Inuit are magic because they flourish in the harshest environment in which humans can survive and on a more than 95% meat diet.

My own diet is pretty much 100% meat every single day. No joke. I also eat primarily raw meat, and have been doing this for well over a year. I feel very good and better than I ever did on an omnivorous diet. Despite hypothyroid I have enough energy to Crossfit, run, hike, do all kinda of physical stuff on top of working 14 hour days or more, many days a week. Despite hypothyrodism I am in very good health. I have no digestive problems, unlike when I was omnivorous. I don't suffer from debilitating hay fever, unlike when I was omnivorous. One should not make big claims about diets he has no experience with.

I am not alone here. There are at least two internet forums dedicated to the primarily carnivorous, if you don't believe me that it is entirely possible to be a 100% meat eater and feel very good, and actually see health problems resolve themselves and stay that way. Check out Dirty Carnivore or Raw Paleo Forum for more information.
This ridiculous diet, based on the absurd belief that paleolithic man and Inuits ate a diet comprised almost of entirely of animal protein, will eventually lead to malnutrition and if continued over the long term will in all probability significantly reduce your life expecancy.
Old 06-01-2010, 07:58 AM   #103
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Becker View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Shaw View Post
The protein requirements of strength athletes are only slightly greater than that of the general population. It's actually endurance athletes who have the greatest requirement for protein.

Influence of protein intake and training status on nitrogen balance and lean body mass.

*All links wfs*
The DRI link in your signature would suggest otherwise- though I have to ask what it's all about? It gave me a high carb low protein low fat diet.
A brief explantion for the Dietary Reference Intake of each nutrient can be found via that DRI link but you can read a more detailed explanation in The Macronutrient Report (wfs) which you can read free online.

Re. protein; the DRI for protein is 0.8g/kg/d which is a little low for athletes but a seperate higher DRI for athletes is not given because it is assumed that athletes will eat more food in order to meet any increased demand for energy and so will automatically meet any increased requirement for protein.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
...and recommended only 75g of protein and a whopping 456-658g of carbs a day for me, and that I avoid saturated fat and dietary cholesterol as much as possible. Oh, and that I'm obese based on BMI.
BMI works well for the general population, less well for athletes. I thought everyone knew that......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery
You've just gotta accept that this is Darryl's M.O. as far as nutrition goes--consider his recommendations, then weigh them against everyone else's that you read.
And if everyone else is wrong?
Old 06-01-2010, 09:00 AM   #104
Kevin Burns

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Shaw View Post
This ridiculous diet, based on the absurd belief that paleolithic man and Inuits ate a diet comprised almost of entirely of animal protein, will eventually lead to malnutrition and if continued over the long term will in all probability significantly reduce your life expectancy.
And the links you provide are the basis for the typical American Food Pyramid based on high intake of grains which created the health disaster we are currently experiencing right now in this country.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:15 AM   #105
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

"And the links you provide are the basis for the typical American Food Pyramid based on high intake of grains which created the health disaster we are currently experiencing right now in this country"

SOrt of.

You oprobably wouldn't be lean and ripped, but you wouldn't be contributing to the fattening of amercia either. There isn't enough calrioes on it. ANd really, all you have to do is switch grains and veggie serving recomendations, and make smart choices with food. If you consider beans and lentils grains, that diet would work well for the average adult.

Once you start traning hard, the rules change dramatically.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:36 AM   #106
Jeffrey White

Profile:

I don't think humans are meant to survive OPTIMALLY on any kind of extreme diet whether its "95% meat" or vegan...both are completely absurd and plain stupid.

By our nature we are scavengers meant to survive on basically whatever we can find.

I truly believe there are periods or phases where we survived on vegan or vegetarian-ish diets until we found more meat. And there were probably short periods of fasting or eating only meat.

Yeah we probably ate beans and even some "grains" at points...but that's not really the issue...its an issue of insulin.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:07 PM   #107
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey White View Post
I don't think humans are meant to survive OPTIMALLY on any kind of extreme diet whether its "95% meat" or vegan...both are completely absurd and plain stupid.

By our nature we are scavengers meant to survive on basically whatever we can find.

I truly believe there are periods or phases where we survived on vegan or vegetarian-ish diets until we found more meat. And there were probably short periods of fasting or eating only meat.

Yeah we probably ate beans and even some "grains" at points...but that's not really the issue...its an issue of insulin.
Agreed.

There's a good reason our Creator put so many edible and tasty things on our planet.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:41 PM   #108
Dave Hardy

Profile:

Regarding the inuit diet, a bit of preliminary reading suggests they have evolved larger than average livers which are necessary to process the particular make up of the foods they were consuming. Lacking this, it might not be a good idea to try and emulate their diet.

Last edited by Dave Hardy : 06-01-2010 at 12:42 PM. Reason: my god awful grammar.
Old 06-01-2010, 01:40 PM   #109
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Burns View Post
And the links you provide are the basis for the typical American Food Pyramid based on high intake of grains which created the health disaster we are currently experiencing right now in this country.
To show that, you'd first have to show that obese Americans (or any substantial group of Americans) actually follow the Pyramid. For the most part they don't, in either quantity or food choices.

Katherine
Old 06-01-2010, 01:48 PM   #110
Ryan Ragona

Profile:

I've never seen as many malnourished people in the USA as when I was in Humboldt County, CA. Silly hippies kept attempting things like strict vegan raw food diets, and they'd end up looking half dead. I recognize that it's possible, but it's ridiculously difficult and you'll probably fail, and if you do it while doing Crossfit you're just asking for injury.