CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-13-2010, 10:01 AM   #1
Mike Ridgley

Profile:
Gluten Free

Hello Fellow CF Peeps!

I am starting the 30 day hardcore Paleo Challenge this Saturday the 15th. I am clear on everything except the Gluten Free part. I understand that if I keep my meals from natural components and exclude grains, flours, beans and otherwise keep everything 'Paleo Compliant'...then it is difficult to induce gluten into my diet.

Reading up - I also understand the Gluten is not as controlled in the US as it is considered GRAS (Generally Regarded as Safe). US food producers are not required to list Gluten on the ingredient list.

Am I just over-thinking the gluten aspect? I sometimes use sauces and packaged spices to grill my chicken / fish etc... Example, I eat tuna with mustard - is mustard 'Gluten Free'?

Can anyone tell me some things that I need to watch for? I just don't want to find out half way through my challenge, I have been taking in tons of gluten somehow.

Last edited by Mike Ridgley : 05-13-2010 at 10:13 AM.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:05 AM   #2
Michael Dries

Profile:
Re: Gluten Free

You are over thinking everything.

Essentially if you are eating strict paleo, the food shouldn't have an ingredients list.

meat,veggies, fruits, nuts, seeds and oils.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:08 AM   #3
Brian Bedell

Profile:

I think you may be overthinking, and that if you stick with your own assessment in your first paragraph, you'll be golden.
Old 05-13-2010, 01:56 PM   #4
Nic Kirkland

Profile:

What they said, avoid things with ingredients lists. That said, about the only safe condiments are olive oil and mustard.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:08 PM   #5
Andrew Schechterly

Profile:

If you can't pronounce it, don't eat it.

Unless, of course, it's filet mignon.

(Friend of mine once ordered it at a restaurant and told the waitress he wanted "fill-it mig-non")
Old 05-13-2010, 09:36 PM   #6
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Look on ingredients lists for the word "wheat" in any form: wheat flour, wheat germ, etc. Just like soy and corn derivatives, wheat finds its way into just about every processed food. I've spent 5-10 minutes on occasion looking through all the marinades and BBQ sauces at a grocery store to find one that was soy, HFCS, and gluten-free. Usually the ingredients list will say CAUTION: CONTAINS WHEAT AND SOY at the bottom, so if that's not there you should be safe.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:34 PM   #7
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Whole Foods and other natural foods-oriented stores are often good sources for gluten-free "paleo" condiments. Besides their natural foods bias, a decent chunk of their market is people with allergies and other dietary restrictions, for whom any kind of processed food can be a minefield. You still need to read labels, but they're likely to at least stock good brands.

Katherine
Old 05-15-2010, 12:05 AM   #8
Tina Dobson

Profile:

As people have said, gluten hides everywhere. As someone who had to recently go gluten free, I can tell you there ARE safe condiments but you have to read tons of labels. All McCormick spices are gluten free, a1 is gluten free, some mustards, etc. As the saying goes, "if a five year old can't pronounce all of the ingredients, don't eat it". Also, I know in CF this seems obvious, but most processed foods will have gluten. Regular reduced fat cheese typically doesn't, but SHREDDED cheese does (one of the ingredients that is used in shredded cheese to keep it's consistency has gluten). Most corn and rice based products are ok. Red meat takes some investigation. Grass fed meat is ok, but many of the mainstream red meats come from animals that eat wheat, which <<bingo>> makes it NOT gluten-free. It truly is difficult at first, but it gets better once you know what you can and can't eat.