CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 05-12-2010, 05:42 PM   #31
John Burch

Profile:
Re: The masters competition is a joke!

Thanks Karin
I would like to video my my efforts (or lack of)

But as far as Joe, he is a tall man doing double under Helen on the short side of the horse stall Mat my rope was hitting the grass and edge of the mat so I know Joe's longer arms and rope would be in the grass. I did not ask to turn and do them on the long end of the mat, Joe told me he asked to turn and was told no he could not turn, I understand how he must feel he had a 17:17 C2B Cindy and a 195# thruster good numbers So I am sure he trained hard for this masters. Me my DU's flat out suck and I now know, how can I call myself a crossfitter if I cant do one of the standard movements
Old 05-13-2010, 12:45 AM   #32
Peter De Sury

Profile:

goodmorning to all.....I was trying to find a thread to introduce myself.....this one fits the point !

my name is peter de sury 52 of age and i train at cross gym milano - italy with maurizio maddaloni ! he is an inspiration for all of us ...he just hosted the european certfication ...hi site is http://maddalonifunctionaltraining.com/

i will definetly give the masters games a go next year ....already looking forward to it.... times on the 3 wods arent too far from the top 15 qualifiers.....

glad to meet all you crossfitters out there ....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pull up ctb.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	6359  
Old 05-13-2010, 07:21 AM   #33
Scott Stevens

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Burch View Post
Me my DU's flat out suck and I now know, how can I call myself a crossfitter if I cant do one of the standard movements
That's a little harsh. There's a lot of crossfitters who can't do a lot of things (HSPU, muscle ups). Some of them made it to the games last year.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:44 AM   #34
Darrell E. White

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Stevens View Post
That's a little harsh. There's a lot of crossfitters who can't do a lot of things (HSPU, muscle ups). Some of them made it to the games last year.
Actually, Scott, it's not really harsh at all. One of the things that will come out of the Sectionals to Regionals to Games this year will be the ABSENCE of an athlete competing who was unable to perform one of the core, expected crossfit that movements. As impressive as Annie was in Aromas last year it made absolutely no sense for her to be competing without a muscle up. And, as if Mikko wasn't impressive enough, were you aware that he did not have a double-under before arriving in Aromas? Mikko was in the athletes' preparation room being schooled on how to do a double under by several crossfitters against whom he was about to compete, including Pat Sherwood and I believe Pat Barber.

My good friend Jeff Martin would have been no worse than sixth had he been able to perform double-unders even as poorly as I do in the Southwest Regional Masters. We will not hear Jeff complaining, however. Double unders are standard fare. Standard fare whether they are done on grass, concrete, or hardwood, that is:stir:

One of the very cool secondary benefits of this new Sectionals to Regionals to Games format is that everyone who arrives in Carson will likely have a full quiver of crossfit movements. Another benefit, one that I am pushing very hard, is to minimize the use of the more "exclusionary" movements at the level of the Sectionals. Open the funnel wide! No muscle ups or handstand push-ups at the Sectionals. Make the Sectionals accessible to the greatest number of people possible. Start the winnowing process at the Regionals. Of course, we'll have to have confidence that our more "mature" crossfitters in the Masters competition will be aware that they are competing at a Regionals level and will therefore be vulnerable to the dreaded double-under

--bingo
Old 05-13-2010, 01:14 PM   #35
Scott Stevens

Profile:

DW: agree with all your points. I'm just saying you can still call yourself a crossfitter and not have a muscle up (among other movements).
Old 05-13-2010, 01:33 PM   #36
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

Bingo,

I agree with almost everything you said as well...except IMO muscle ups should be fair game at any level of CF competition. I don't think there should be a hierarchy of movement. You don't need to be an elite level CF'er to possess a musle up and/or HeSPU.

Maybe, to make both of us happy, what you can do is not have that necessarily be a disqualifier at the Sectional level...So if you can't do a muscle up and DNF a WOD at Sectionals you still get some sort of points or still have the ability to place and move on...albeit probably a small chance at that point, unless most people DNF with you.

BUT then at Regionals and Games level any DNFs should be grounds for not moving on...whether that is due to not coming under the time cap, or not being able to perform a WOD as rx'd.

edit: This puts it on the organizers...to reassess exercise selection and WOD make-up if they construct a WOD where 50% of athletes DNF...that may mean it wasn't a good test for their sectionals average current capabilities

Last edited by Aushion Chatman : 05-13-2010 at 01:35 PM.
Old 05-13-2010, 02:00 PM   #37
Lisbeth Darsh

Profile:

Quote:
DW: agree with all your points. I'm just saying you can still call yourself a crossfitter and not have a muscle up (among other movements).
Bingo, I'm sure you didn't mean to go down the route of "Who Shall Be Called a CrossFitter" and "Who Shall Not" by virtue of accomplishment of movements?

"Elite CrossFitter" "CrossFit Games competitor" "CrossFit Ninja" -- I can see that categorization, but just "CrossFitter" . . .
Old 05-13-2010, 04:14 PM   #38
Jeff Kilinski

Profile:

I have an issue with this being referred to as an "Exhibition" event. Talk to any of the competitors and ask them if they thought it was just for show. You can look at the videos on the main site and tell this was all out for those of us who competed. We got a standing "O" from the crowd in Castle Rock at the end of the second day. We didn't ask for it. That's because we might be older, but we're still bad a$$. Grass DUs or not.
Old 05-13-2010, 06:41 PM   #39
Darrell E. White

Profile:

Quote:
Of course you can! My post should be read in the very tight confines of a discussion about the Games, the Regionals, and the Sectionals. My goodness, I tore my rotator cuff two years ago on the cusp of getting my first MU and will now never get one. I am most certainly still a Crossfitter!

Lisbeth...tsk, tsk...you know me better than that!

--bingo
Old 05-13-2010, 06:43 PM   #40
Darrell E. White

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Kilinski View Post
I have an issue with this being referred to as an "Exhibition" event. Talk to any of the competitors and ask them if they thought it was just for show. You can look at the videos on the main site and tell this was all out for those of us who competed. We got a standing "O" from the crowd in Castle Rock at the end of the second day. We didn't ask for it. That's because we might be older, but we're still bad a$$. Grass DUs or not.
Brother, you're taking that waaay too personally. In various places this first Master's competition has been referred to as an exhibition competition and an experiment. In no way does that diminish the accomplishments of the athletes who have and will participate.

FWIW I'm 50 and would NOT be competitive, so any and all who did are by definition more BA than I.

--bingo