CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 03-12-2010, 03:35 PM   #1
Yahya Kohgadai

Profile:
epic push press self-uppercut

For some reason I forgot that I had a chin. What was worse was that it was an empty bar so it went up w/ A LOT of speed.

I don't know what hit where but I've got a gash just under my lip [there goes my hopes of ever growing a soul patch in the future] and a cut on the inside of both my bottom and top lip. And there's a tiny little scrape on the bottom of one of my front teeth. It looks normal but I can feel a tiny rough spot from where the enamel scraped off.

Each gash is pretty clean as though it was made from teeth but I can't for the life of me figure out how it would've happened. If I kinda sucked my lips in before I pushed it would kinda make sense in that my top incisors cut my top lip and likewise for the bottom but it doesn't explain the soul-patch-killer. My freakin entire snout was numb for like 5 minutes.

Please tell me this has happened to someone else!??!?!

So I'm wondering a few things..

The one on the outside seems to already be clotting and will probably leave a cool scar.

I'm just wondering about two that are kinda inside the mouth.. isn't it hard for wounds to seal in a moist environment? Should I refrain from drinking any liquids for a few hours?

And as far as the scraped enamel, will it grow back or am I S.O.L? I know you're not dentists but does this mean that the tooth is more susceptible to decay??

I'll have pics up shortly if anyone's interested
Old 03-12-2010, 03:47 PM   #2
Suzanne Campbell

Profile:
Re: epic push press self-uppercut

Yahya,

Don't worry about the inside of your mouth healing. The mucosa tissue will heal just great. You may want the outside of your mouth checked though in case you need stitches so you aren't left with a gnarly scar. As for your tooth, if there is not a visible chip in the tooth it will probably be ok and your chewing will smooth it down. If it is really sharp you may need to go get it smoothed so it doesn't drive you crazy. I'm a dental assistant-that's my advice. And you can swish your mouth with warm salt water if you want. It may make it heal a little faster. Hope you feel better! I have clocked myself in the chin before and I'm paranoid about breaking my teeth too!!
Old 03-12-2010, 03:49 PM   #3
Mac Oneill

Profile:

Happens to me pretty often, but I normally just drill my chin and never draw blood. Wounds in your mouth generally heal faster than any other part of the body, so as long as its clean I wouldn't be worried. It just might suck for a few days. As for you tooth, people chip em all the time. I've done it eating, so I wouldn't be worried either. Thats just my thoughts though.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:06 PM   #4
Jared Ashley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahya Kohgadai View Post

Please tell me this has happened to someone else!??!?!
yes, this has happened to me (well, I hit my nose, not my chin).

Yes, it was with an empty bar.

And yes, I was demonstrating the movement for a client at the time.

However, in the words of Rippetoe... "Don't worry about hitting yourself in the face with the bar. You'll only do it once."
Old 03-12-2010, 04:42 PM   #5
Matt Haxmeier

Profile:

Tell people you got the scar on your chin from a bull whip like Indiana Jones!
Old 03-12-2010, 05:02 PM   #6
Greg D Hamilton

Profile:

Haha, ouch that sucks.

I jacked myself the first time doing clean & jerks. I cleaned 200#, went to jerk and slammed my chin. I went back to rack position kinda stunned and was prepping to try again. The affiliate coach was watching, he laughed and said to just dump it.

Luckily, I just got a little scratch and managed to complete the lift the next try.

Sounds like your pic will be nasty.
Old 03-12-2010, 05:16 PM   #7
Nick Hoffman

Profile:

I've wacked myself in the face with a smoothbore firehose nozzle and chipped my tooth, if that makes you feel any better.
Old 03-12-2010, 05:38 PM   #8
Yahya Kohgadai

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne Parton View Post
You may want the outside of your mouth checked though in case you need stitches so you aren't left with a gnarly scar.
no insurance = cool scar
... but like I mentioned before, no soul patch possibilities! Damn..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Ashley View Post

However, in the words of Rippetoe... "Don't worry about hitting yourself in the face with the bar. You'll only do it once."
I hope so!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Haxmeier View Post
Tell people you got the scar on your chin from a bull whip like Indiana Jones!
Yeah since I don't look like a cowboy or an archeologist, they're probabaly gonna think I'm some kinda S&M weirdo... then the scar will be the least of my problems!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hoffman View Post
I've wacked myself in the face with a smoothbore firehose nozzle and chipped my tooth, if that makes you feel any better.
oouch! Was it on at the time? Like it hit you because someone let go of it and it was running wildly?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg D Hamilton View Post
The affiliate coach was watching, he laughed and said to just dump it.
Well, I did manage to suck it up and get a fran pr [albiet w/scaled weight]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0312001300a.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	5966  Click image for larger version

Name:	0312001259.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	145.7 KB
ID:	5967  
Old 03-12-2010, 06:02 PM   #9
Nick Hoffman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahya Kohgadai View Post
oouch! Was it on at the time? Like it hit you because someone let go of it and it was running wildly?
100% my stupidity.

I shrugged my shoulder to adjust the bundle of hose I was carrying while holding the nozzle in my hand.
Old 03-13-2010, 02:31 AM   #10
Matth Challoner

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hoffman View Post
I got kicked in the head by a goalkeeper playing "soccer" while doing a diving header and chipped a bit of my tooth.Took a while getting used to it.