CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 12-24-2009, 09:38 AM   #1
Carlos Gato

Profile:
Please Critique My Cutting Diet (included Diet plan with Nutrient Breakdown)

Hey guys just like it states i'm looking to get a little constructive feedback regarding my cutting diet.

First a little background on me. I'm a 26 year old male who is 5'9" and 223lbs. My goal is to shed the fat and reach a healthy 180lbs with good lean muscle mass. Since i'm an endomorph (tend to gain fat easily) i'm not too concerned with losing muscle mass.

I lift 3 days a week with 2 days of cardio (I run/walk 4.5 miles). I have two days of rest.

Here is my nutrient breakdown:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y27...loriechart.jpg

Protein: 215g 46%
Carbs: 118g 25%
Fat: 59g 29%

Feedback is highly appreciated and will be repped.

Thank you in advance.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:45 AM   #2
Jason David

Profile:
Re: Please Critique My Cutting Diet (included Diet plan with Nutrient Breakdown)

Any diet without vegetables is a bad diet IMO. The more carbs you get from veggies and the more protein you get from meat...the better off you will be.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:53 AM   #3
Brian Bedell

Profile:
Re: Please Critique My Cutting Diet (included Diet plan with Nutrient Breakdown)

Is it working?
Old 12-24-2009, 09:54 AM   #4
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

Eat more veggies. Many here will tell you ditch the grains for veggies.

On the Chobani yogurt, get the plain version and add your own fruit. I add blueberries to my Chobani for a morning snack.
Old 12-24-2009, 10:40 AM   #5
Steven Matheson

Profile:

Not so good. Try doing a Paleo diet and .com WODs 4x per week.
Old 12-24-2009, 11:04 AM   #6
Lisa Smalheiser

Profile:

I am not really sure what most men eat as far as calorie count, but I am a 125 pound female who eats just as many calories (if not more). So I guess my question is, are you eating enough? Not only in terms of calories, but also enough to get the proper nutrition you need? As the others said, you definitely need more fruits and vegetables, but I would also say you need more healthy fats (i.e. nuts and evoo).
Old 12-24-2009, 11:13 AM   #7
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa Smalheiser View Post
I am not really sure what most men eat as far as calorie count, but I am a 125 pound female who eats just as many calories (if not more). So I guess my question is, are you eating enough? Not only in terms of calories, but also enough to get the proper nutrition you need? As the others said, you definitely need more fruits and vegetables, but I would also say you need more healthy fats (i.e. nuts and evoo).
Ditto this. 1800 calories is way low. I'm also a 125 pound female, and I'm in the 2000 plus range.

Katherine
Old 12-25-2009, 01:28 PM   #8
Carlos Gato

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason David View Post
Any diet without vegetables is a bad diet IMO. The more carbs you get from veggies and the more protein you get from meat...the better off you will be.
I agree with you Jason it didn't really don on me that my veggie count was so low. I saw that my fiber level was pretty decent that i forgot about the important nutrients and vitamins that greens give. I'm going to revise my diet to include broccoli.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bedell View Post
Is it working?
Just started it, and have noticed that my clothes are fitting looser. I am going to purchase some bodyfat calipers tomorrow for a more accurate reading. I also plan to get a bodyfat analysis performed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Riddle View Post
Eat more veggies. Many here will tell you ditch the grains for veggies.

On the Chobani yogurt, get the plain version and add your own fruit. I add blueberries to my Chobani for a morning snack.
Thank you for the feedback wayne. Unfortunately i HATE the taste of the plain Chobani yogurt. I find it to be too sour (almost like sour cream) I will give your suggestion a try but i must say i prefer the strawberry one as is because the container is easy to carry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa Smalheiser View Post
Thanks Lisa, that's my major question. I'm not exactly sure how many calories i should be taking in. There seems to be contradictory information everywhere. Regarding the healthy fats. Prior to creating the version above i would add 2 tablespoons of EVOO (one to cook the chicken, and the other for flavoring in the wraps) I also supplement with Fishoil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
Ditto this. 1800 calories is way low. I'm also a 125 pound female, and I'm in the 2000 plus range.

Katherine
Hmm... I just wish i could get a definitive answer as to how many calories i should be taking in. Why is fitness/nutrition so difficult lol?
Old 12-26-2009, 08:25 AM   #9
Bill Shiffler

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos Gato View Post
I agree with you Jason it didn't really don on me that my veggie count was so low. I saw that my fiber level was pretty decent that i forgot about the important nutrients and vitamins that greens give. I'm going to revise my diet to include broccoli.

Just started it, and have noticed that my clothes are fitting looser. I am going to purchase some bodyfat calipers tomorrow for a more accurate reading. I also plan to get a bodyfat analysis performed.

Thank you for the feedback wayne. Unfortunately i HATE the taste of the plain Chobani yogurt. I find it to be too sour (almost like sour cream) I will give your suggestion a try but i must say i prefer the strawberry one as is because the container is easy to carry.

Thanks Lisa, that's my major question. I'm not exactly sure how many calories i should be taking in. There seems to be contradictory information everywhere. Regarding the healthy fats. Prior to creating the version above i would add 2 tablespoons of EVOO (one to cook the chicken, and the other for flavoring in the wraps) I also supplement with Fishoil.

Hmm... I just wish i could get a definitive answer as to how many calories i should be taking in. Why is fitness/nutrition so difficult lol?
With no real timeline to your goal, I would say to start much higher with the calories. There's benefit this way, not least of which is the retention of as much muscle as possible.

Just for the hell of it, I would add at least another 500 Kcals per day (the ratios are decent) and give it a go. If you lose more than say 4-5 pounds over the next 2 weeks, add some more Kcals back in.
Old 12-26-2009, 11:05 AM   #10
Tony Sutton

Profile:

Hey,

I just wanted to agree with what has been said thus far and offer my own situation. I tend to gain easily as well, 5 10 23 yo male, 185lb. I use to have a similiar outlook as you but have realized the advantages of using my size to build strength as I lean out over time. I came from a 240-5 lb build not to long ago. I cf 3 on 1 off 2 on 1 off. I usually try to eat around 2500 cals and it seems to work for me. I could probably go more but I am seeing solid performance gains in both strength and endurance. Energy levels are good and I am happy with what I eat. If you have any questions let me know. Good luck.

Train hard, eat well and be happy.