CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-01-2009, 01:13 AM   #1
Travis Rask

Profile:
Please critique my diet

Hi there -

Could use some guidance. Have spent some time researching, but figured a direct representation of MY situation would provide the best answers.

My goal is to get down to about 10% BF, and continue to make strength gains on my metcons and olympic lifts. I specifically want to get to a sub 5:00 fran, DL 2x my BW, etc.

A little information about me:

30YOM
5'10
14% BF (approx)

I've been doing CF for about 8 months, and have been doing 3-6 WODs per week for the past two. I also do CFE approx 2x/week (sometimes less), as well as a few 10x50m freestyle laps in the swimming pool. I also do a little 5 x 3 work (squats/deadlifts) 1-2 times/week.

When I started CF a year ago (4 months off due to fire academy) I weighed 215#, so I've already come a long way.

Work as a firefighter, so there are drills and calls mixed in twice a week.

Started Paleo a month ago, feel great. Definitely have seen a little fat loss around the obliques. Progress isn't as fast as I've liked though, based on pictures, although my clothes are fitting better, and I feel like I've put on some muscle mass.

About 3 "cheat" meals per week. One at the halfway point (dinner and ice cream), and 2 (lunch and dinner/ice cream) the first day of my "off" rotation from work.

Sleep is OK. I get about 8 hours a day on my 5 day "off" rotation from work, about 6-7 per day for my three day tour.

Stress level is elevated. I'm in my probationary year (ends August 1st) so the stress of earning my career is more than normal for me.

A couple WOD benchmarks:

Fran: 6:45 (did as RX'd for first time this past week
Helen: 8:50
Cindy: 19.5
DL: 242#

Just yesterday, I transitioned into Paleo/Zone.

16 blocks - 8C/16P/52F (followed the advice of a seasoned CF'er friend, based off Robb Wolf recommendation of cutting carbs and replacing with fat.

Basic diet breakdown:

4 meals, each 4 blocks:

Breakfast:

4 Omega 3 eggs
Orange
10 macadamias

Lunch

4 oz Chx breast
5 blocks canola mayo
2 blocks broccoli
1 TBSP canola oil (for cooking broccoli)
2-3 macadamias

Dinner

(same as lunch)

Late night meal

4 oz Chx breast
5 blocks canola mayo (sub quacamole sometimes as well)
1 Orange
6 macadamias

When I did paleo, my diet was pretty similar, although my broccoli and fruit intake was much higher. Fat was probably a little lower.

Obviously I'm just starting, but based on what you see, am I moving in the right direction?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Last edited by Travis Rask : 06-01-2009 at 01:30 AM.
Old 06-01-2009, 01:31 AM   #2
Harley Jennings

Profile:
Re: Please critique my diet

Travis,

I am not the Zone expert, so take this with a grain of salt.

If lowering %BF is your primary objective, then exchanging your fruit intake with veggies will only aide in that effort. I know you zone guys need to get your carb blocks in, but for me cutting most of the fruit out with veggies goes a long way!

Spinach for breakfast mixed with your eggs is really good!
M/27/5'10''/200lbs/13%BF BS 365#/ SP 205#/ DL 425#/ BP 345#/ PC 235#/ FS 265#/ CJ 225#/ THR 225#/ Liz 6:11/ Murph 39:00My Log
Old 06-01-2009, 01:32 AM   #3
Harley Jennings

Profile:

Oh, PS...other then that it looks like you have the right idea! Be sure to change it up and mix up those protein choices!

Good work!
M/27/5'10''/200lbs/13%BF BS 365#/ SP 205#/ DL 425#/ BP 345#/ PC 235#/ FS 265#/ CJ 225#/ THR 225#/ Liz 6:11/ Murph 39:00My Log
Old 06-01-2009, 05:10 AM   #4
Mat Frankel

Profile:

Well its good to see that you have real food in there and not protein shakes and stuff like that. With that being said, ou just started this and I would do it for a couple of weeks and see how your body responds. Record how your feeling after strength days and heavy metcon days and if you feel any times when your lacking energy and the like. If you are not leaning down as youd like , switching fruit for veggies as carbs is a great place to start. I personally have fruit in the morning, and am testing that out now but I'd say move the late night meals orange to the 2nd meal of the day if you want to eat the orange and not sub. Id also reccomend (per Robb Wolf) that you move half of your carb blocks to Post Workout and make it sweet potato. So instead of the two carb blocks of orange in the morning, have 1 block of spinach in the eggs, then take that 1 other block, put it Post Workout and do the same with that other late night meals carb block. Add some more protein in there and Id say it will look good.
One question, how did you come up with 52 fat? 16 total blocks - 8 c = 8 * 3 Fat = 24 + the regular 16 = 40. Not saying its bad, i think more fat is needed for energy, just trying to see where you were.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:45 AM   #5
Joe Bernard

Profile:

Just make sure to watch your weight and energy levels. It looks like you are very active, so you might need to go to 2x fat if you feel sluggish throughout the day. Give the baseline zone 2-3 weeks, then adjust accordingly from there.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:08 AM   #6
Travis Rask

Profile:

Thanks for the info guys, good call on the spinich...totally forgot about that one!
Old 06-01-2009, 10:10 AM   #7
Travis Rask

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat Frankel View Post
Well its good to see that you have real food in there and not protein shakes and stuff like that. With that being said, ou just started this and I would do it for a couple of weeks and see how your body responds. Record how your feeling after strength days and heavy metcon days and if you feel any times when your lacking energy and the like. If you are not leaning down as youd like , switching fruit for veggies as carbs is a great place to start. I personally have fruit in the morning, and am testing that out now but I'd say move the late night meals orange to the 2nd meal of the day if you want to eat the orange and not sub. Id also reccomend (per Robb Wolf) that you move half of your carb blocks to Post Workout and make it sweet potato. So instead of the two carb blocks of orange in the morning, have 1 block of spinach in the eggs, then take that 1 other block, put it Post Workout and do the same with that other late night meals carb block. Add some more protein in there and Id say it will look good.
One question, how did you come up with 52 fat? 16 total blocks - 8 c = 8 * 3 Fat = 24 + the regular 16 = 40. Not saying its bad, i think more fat is needed for energy, just trying to see where you were.
Whoops, had my math wrong
Old 06-01-2009, 03:27 PM   #8
Travis Rask

Profile:

I think I'm going to up to 2X fat, in addition to my carb subs right off the bat.

I've been doing some research, and have found that most people have gotten stronger AND leaner by upping their fat. Considering I'm only 16 blocks right now, probably can't hurt.

I figure it's better to err on the side of eating too much, as opposed to too little. Considering how active I am, probably the best idea.
Old 06-01-2009, 11:25 PM   #9
Harley Jennings

Profile:

Sounds like you are getting it travis.

Have you ever zeroed a scope before? Use the same approach when tweaking your diet. Make small adjustments, give it time to take effect, make a few more until you are hitting dead center.

Don't change a lot at once or you'll start chasing the target and waste time.