CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-13-2009, 08:33 AM   #1
Charlie Karnick

Profile:
lower back tightness from Deads

I was doing Deads at 225lbs yesterday (a lot of weight for me) and after I finished I noticed that my lower back was especially tight, no pain at all just discomfort i guess. After about 30min it felt completely fine and it feels great right now. Is that a form issue or is it just a result of lifting heavy Deads?
Old 01-13-2009, 08:43 AM   #2
Kyle Jernigan

Profile:
Re: lower back tightness from Deads

I always try to double check my form when doing heavy anything. I'd rather do it right, get the best work out, and live to train another day rather than force a bad lift. But deadlifts always work my hamstrings and lower back, but I notice more discomfort when my lats don't stay flexed and my shoulders fold forward a little while letting my chin drop.
Old 01-13-2009, 08:50 AM   #3
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Charlie -
It's hard to guess about what you experienced without seeing you do the lifts.

Got any video - or can you video yourself doing it again and post it?

You said you did "some work" at 225#, and that weight is heavy for you. What kind of work? 21-15-9 reps at 225#? [Note: I am typically pretty tight and sore the day after a WOD like that, and 225# is a "medium" DL weight for me.] If you were doing sets at 225#, and 225# is your 3 RM, you have reason to be tight/sore too, just because it is "heavy" for you.

Lots of folks get tight after heavy deads. Since your discomfort went away in only 30 minutes (which is remarkably fast - to me), I don't think you have much to worry about.

Keep up the good work!
Old 01-13-2009, 10:11 AM   #4
Charlie Karnick

Profile:

i was just doing a 1x5 workset and that weight is probably close to my 5 rep max. I don't have a video unfortunately.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:23 AM   #5
Gavin Harrison

Profile:

Your lower back is mostly ligaments and tendons, not a lot of muscle mass there. It has to keep your back stabilized during the lift, so afterwards it feels tight. This happens to me when squatting and dead lifting heavy. I don't think it's a big deal.
Old 01-13-2009, 01:07 PM   #6
Thomas Bailly

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post
Your lower back is mostly ligaments and tendons, not a lot of muscle mass there. It has to keep your back stabilized during the lift, so afterwards it feels tight. This happens to me when squatting and dead lifting heavy. I don't think it's a big deal.
Have to disagree, the bottom of the traps(muscle) attach at the low back as do the lats(muscle), not to mention the deep muscles like the quadratus lomborum, iliopsoas,multifidus( usually all guilty parties in low back pain) to name the prime movers.
Further, since the "pain"disappears rapidly, it is highly likely that it is more vascular tissue (muscles) that is affected rather than ligaments or tendons.

Keep the front side tight when doing DL's.