CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-06-2009, 10:04 AM   #81
Bob Guere

Profile:
Re: No Grains/No Sugars Support Group!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa Byers View Post
This soapbox has my name all over it.

For the love of Oprah, while you're doing this challenge, throw away the scale. In fact, don't worry about your "weight" at all. If there is one message I wish I could get across, it's this... improve your measurable fitness, and your body WILL fall into line. It has to.

Focus on your performance. Focus on your energy levels. Focus on how well you're sleeping. But don't pay any attention to what your body is whispering to your brain in the coming month. Easier said than done, I know, but physical appearance is an ineffective and totally subjective measure of success. I "weigh" plus or minus 8 pounds throughout any given day. Plus, the mirror LIES. You know it, and I know it. You can feel fit and trim one second, and then eat a Hershey's Kiss and immediately the mirror tells you that you're a fat slob. TELL THE MIRROR (and the scale) TO SUCK IT.

In my humble opinion, you'll set yourself up for greater success if you track your progress during this challenge by things that are measurable, and dependable, and meaningful. Like your Filthy Fifty time, or your max pull-ups, or your back squat. Improve all of those things and stick to your no sugar, no grains plan and I guarantee that your physical appearance will respond in kind.
AMEN SISTER!
Old 01-06-2009, 10:14 AM   #82
Samantha Aurelio

Profile:

Quote:

For the love of Oprah, while you're doing this challenge, throw away the scale. In fact, don't worry about your "weight" at all. If there is one message I wish I could get across, it's this... improve your measurable fitness, and your body WILL fall into line. It has to.

Focus on your performance. Focus on your energy levels. Focus on how well you're sleeping. But don't pay any attention to what your body is whispering to your brain in the coming month. Easier said than done, I know, but physical appearance is an ineffective and totally subjective measure of success. I "weigh" plus or minus 8 pounds throughout any given day. Plus, the mirror LIES. You know it, and I know it. You can feel fit and trim one second, and then eat a Hershey's Kiss and immediately the mirror tells you that you're a fat slob. TELL THE MIRROR (and the scale) TO SUCK IT.

In my humble opinion, you'll set yourself up for greater success if you track your progress during this challenge by things that are measurable, and dependable, and meaningful. Like your Filthy Fifty time, or your max pull-ups, or your back squat. Improve all of those things and stick to your no sugar, no grains plan and I guarantee that your physical appearance will respond in kind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Guere View Post
AMEN SISTER!

<- do that to your scales!
Old 01-06-2009, 11:53 AM   #83
Amber Mathwig

Profile:

Quote:

No kidding. Between Christmas, Starting Strength and Intuitive Eating, I had to put my scale in a high out of the way place or I would drive myself crazy. I managed to go a whole week before I broke down today out of curiousity......not the number I would like to see but, whatever, I deadlifted 90kgs yesterday, 3x5. It actually just occurred to me to give the scale away completely or have someone lock it up in an unknown place......
Old 01-06-2009, 12:00 PM   #84
Christine Parry

Profile:

You're right. But old habits die hard... I used to have a lot of body image issues... it's hard to just put that behind me.

Has anyone else been incredibly thirsty on this challenge? I typically drink a lot of water already throughout the day, but I feel like I've doubled that amount since dropping grains and sugars, and I'm still parched!
Old 01-06-2009, 12:22 PM   #85
Jimi Miller

Profile:

A bit late to the party but I'm really trying to stick to the no grains/sugars zone. Glad to see there are others out there struggling but succeeding (usually) as well. So far I've been able to be good for about a day or two before I break down for a meal or two. Hoping to make the good days longer and the break down less as things go forward.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:15 PM   #86
Matt Hitt

Profile:

Love this thread! I've been doing Crossfit for a little over a month, and love it!

I've decided to try the paleo thing to see if I can maximize my results. My question for all of you: I understand the philosophical reason that legumes are off limits in paleo (cannot be eaten raw, early man didn't eat them, etc.)

But beans and lentils, specifically, are a cheap source of protein and fiber with relatively low calories. I get the knocking out refined grains and sugar, and I've been doing that since Christmas (think I've lost close to 5 pounds). But no beans and lentils??? Help me out guys!
Old 01-06-2009, 03:27 PM   #87
Pete Mielo

Profile:

This is a great idea, I DEFINITELY need the support! I too love my chocolate and cookies. I had laid off bread, grains, etc. for the most part, but with the holidays, I used it as an excuse. Pretty much since Halloween, I've been on a downhill slide. I'm back up to about 195 now and hate it. After not looking at the Zone for a couple months now, I went back into my book this weekend and re-calculated my protein intake. I'm pretty sure I did it right but please feel free to correct me. I'm 195, about 24% BF, about 151 lean body mass, .7 activity level, giving me a representative protein req. of 105. Divided by 7g of protein per block, I came up with 3 block meals for all five meals.

Anyway, sorry, that was long and drawn out. The latest way I'm trying to keep from eating carbs/sweets is to have my wife keep them out of sight. I tried asking her not to buy them at all but it didn't work. However, she has this cabinet that she keeps various types of non-perishable food in and I hardly ever go in it. I'm asking her to keep sweets/carbs in there so they're out of sight, out of mind.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:30 PM   #88
Lauren Hall

Profile:

Amber, John, and other old friends from the last challenge... Hello again!

I'm back in starting next week (yeah yeah, I know....). I'm going to New Orleans tomorrow, and I'm going to eat some beignets in all their fried-dough, powdered-sugar-slathered glory. After that, however, I'm back on paleo.

I won't be as strict this time around. My goal is to completely avoid sugar, which actually isn't that hard for me, and also avoid breads and grains with the exception of oat bran. I had some problems on the last challenge that made it clear that cutting out all grains just wasn't an option.

I also have yet to figure out what to do about alcohol, but I'm thinking I may switch over to wine completely. You can, I've discovered, love beer too much.

To keep me honest, I have a 25 pushup penalty (again, starting Monday) for cheating, and while in the Big Easy I'm going to try to limit myself to rice with my gumbo, so the beignets will be the only big cheat (and fortunately you just can't eat that many of those things).

I look forward to seeing you all early and often! Keep up the good work everyone!

(By the way, I second the scale stuff.... there's nothing more demoralizing than watching scale numbers go up.... fortunately, however, energy levels and performance tend to increase too.)
Old 01-06-2009, 03:44 PM   #89
Amber Mathwig

Profile:

Hi Lauren! Have fun! Make sure to get a muffalata (sp) too! I think the original's are at Special K's Grocery or something like that. Plenty to share!

Help! I went back to the oreos! I dont know why when the first one I had today tasted so bad, and I know I was just doing mindless boredom eating. I should've just thrown them away. But, just to put it out there, we do get some what of a guilt factor when we throw away stuff that well meaning people send in care packages (gasp!). So, it happens, but not often and we really think about what stays and what goes. I'm starting to think that everything should go. They even had the red filling leftover from Christmas sales, so all the chemical dyes....no wonder I feel like crap right now.

I like and enjoy ice cream and homemade treats. I do not like or enjoy pre-packaged crap. I need to remind myself of this repeatedly.

Bed time. Night Night.
Old 01-06-2009, 05:05 PM   #90
Jennifer Woods

Profile:

Quote:

AND THAT IS WHY SHE IS MY BFF AND THE WORLD'S GREATEST TRAINER!!!

Melissa has helped my so much over the past year with my whole yo-yo dieting mind frame. I really have got rid of a lot of bad habits with her help and the scale is no longer my best friend/arch enemy on any given day.

I am doing well this week with the no sugar/ no grains. There has been a few temptations, but I just tell myself "this is only for 25 more days. I can do this. I am stronger than a bottle of IBC rootbeer (I don't even like soda, but today it looked great)". Again, keep the variety in the foods you are eating and try new things. It will work out in the end.