CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 11-20-2008, 02:49 PM   #1
Greg D Hamilton

Profile:
Butterfly kip

Any videos on the butterfly kip, either instructional or tips? I've seen the comparison vid & others where the butterfly is used, but haven't seen anything on exactly how to do it.

The butterfly kip makes pullups look so easy, must be the fluidity, but it looks impressive.
Old 11-20-2008, 02:58 PM   #2
Chris Walls

Profile:
Re: Butterfly kip

Leo S has a good one on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEUxEo5_7hY

video is wfs, but it's youtube.
Old 11-20-2008, 03:34 PM   #3
Roger Harrell

Profile:

The timing of a butterfly kip is a bit more difficult than a regular kip, but not terribly. It's about maintaining pressure on the bar properly and getting the rhythm. Try to start with a small circular butterfly kip and work it up. If you enforce "over the bar" right from the start you'll take longer to learn it.

The energy burn rate of butterfly kips is higher than with gymnastics style kips. You'll get more pullups done faster, but you pay for it metabolically.
Old 11-20-2008, 04:37 PM   #4
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Interestingly, the butterfly kip does not seem to tax my grip as much as the horizontal kip due to the fact I cannot connect pullups with my horizontal kip so I end up needing to recover every swing before initiating the next swing. A lot of wasted time and holding the bar, taxing my overall grip. Personally, I think the BFK is easier and more simple to learn and keep them connected.

Pound for pound, forcewise it probably taxes the grip more than the horizontal grip due to transferring power. I'm not really sure.

Metabolically, it's hard to sustain the BFK if you're dying from 400's and KB swing like Helen. Either you are so erratic it's ridiculous as you're all over the bar or you can't keep up the pace because you're dying.
Old 11-20-2008, 06:05 PM   #5
Shane Skowron

Profile:

I just want to say that it's definitely worth the effort to learn the butterfly kip.

I finally managed to learn it this week, sort of by accident. I just got into a good rhythm and realized I was doing it. I was getting full extension at the bottom and well over the bar at the top. They actually felt more fluid and efficient. And they really were - I hit a set of 30 in a row without going to failure. Compare that to my previous best of 28 to complete failure with the frog kip. The sub-3 Fran is in sight now.

That video will help, but just keep practicing. Make sure you have a good grip, a sturdy bar, and lots of room to swing. I finally got mine when I practiced swinging backwards while holding onto the bar. The swinging forwards part is easy.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:00 PM   #6
Leonid Soubbotine

Profile:

Practice makes perfect. Practice often, not to failure and don't skip steps.

That video makes me miss my old monkey bars and especially the pulley system a bit.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:14 PM   #7
Matt Blankenship

Profile:

For me, the key to BFKs is getting my lower legs back as soon as possible after my vertical peak.