CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 12-05-2006, 07:54 AM   #1
Martin Schap

Profile:
Lately I got to wondering about an all day warmup. It seems to me that for some people, (Law Enforcement, Military and Firefighters spring to mind) it would obviously be beneficial to be warmed up at any time, since you may be required to go from driving around to fighting for your life at a moments notice. Clearly a good stretching program fits in to this discussion, but what about some sort of grease the groove CFWU or something? Has anyone tried doing exercises one or two at a time and spaced out throughout the day? Or maybe start the morning with one or two rounds of the CFWU and then do more throughout the day? I was thinking about experimenting with this and then seeing how it impacts my performance on the WOD. Also, do any current LEOs, military or fire think this would even be practical? Maybe Police Departments frown on their officers doing random sets of OHS between calls... I wouldn't know.
Old 12-05-2006, 09:19 AM   #2
Mark Miller

Profile:
Martin-I have thought about this while I work and when I watch my dog go from sitting on the porch to a full sprint across the yard. (no warmup for her)? I will say that when I go from sitting to a foot chase I feel a little bit slow at first. I really don't know what happens in the body from a physio point of view but it seems to work out. About a week ago this happened to me. I had been sitting in a vehicle for about 2 hours watching some people. Long story short it resulted in a foot chase for about 400m. I started out a little slow but then it kicked in and I was locked in on target. I was able to catch him then it turned into a wrestling match. After the guy was in custody I didn't feel much different than if I had just run 400m and did 20 pullups. I did feel it the next day. I felt a little sore all over. Maybe someone with a science background can go into detail. As far as all-day-warmup in police work. Nah it aint gonna happen. Thats why you need to condition outside of the job to be able to handle this stuff. My 2 cents.
Old 12-05-2006, 02:50 PM   #3
Ian Carver

Profile:
I work as K9 handler in a large and busy California Sheriff's Department. As is often the case in our job, it is not out of the ordinary to go from 0 to 60 in a matter of seconds, physically and mentally. There have been a number of times where things were cruising along just fine and next thing I know the chase is on. I may be bailing out in foot pursuit after my dog who is chasing down some felon, doing very HI-risk area/bldg searches for lengthy periods with SWAT or patrol, and then sometimes finding the bad guy, with dog firmly attached, who then still wants to put up a fight (so being a gentleman, I oblige him in the offer ;). Thanks to CF and my personal background, fitness, skill, stamina, and strength is not an issue, but like Mark said I did notice I had tweaks and pulls all over the next day.

So with that in mind, I began to stretch for a few minutes about every hour. Nothing fancy, just legs, low/upper back, wrists, and neck areas. In between dog calls, I'll pull over somewhere, let the dog out to take a break, and spend five minutes loosening up. So far it has helped. I have managed to stay loose enough that springing up from a seated position into a standing, actively mobile position is not causing me to be sore the next day.

As far as a work out goes, I don't think it would be practical either, unless you took your lunch break to work out. I do this occassionally, but it's tricky since you may end up running on fumes for a bit afterwards or you may get called away mid workout. I try to get my WOD's in a few hours before work, so I am re-charged and ready to go. I am a firm believer that CF is an integral part of my officer safety program and the efficacy of the program pulls me through scraps with more confidence and fitness than the bad guy (and sadly, most of my cop counterparts- don't even get me started on that topic!)

Our unit trains every Wednesday, the first Wednesday of the month is on the range for several hours with the dogs. I have hooked several people up on CF and now we are incorporating CF into some of our scenarios to tax and stress the body as much as possible before handling the dogs, moving, and shooting. For example, 50m run to rappel tower, stairs to the top, burpees on top deck, rope ladder down, push ups, squats, 50m run to 25 yd line, assemble gun, tactically move with dog to several firing postions (time penalties for thrown shots), holster, send the dog for bite, recall dog to your cover, run w/dog 50m back to finish line for time. It's good competition, fun and skill all in one. That's just one of the ways we try to incorporate some fitness standards into our work day, but it's not a regular thing.
Old 12-05-2006, 04:35 PM   #4
Mark Miller

Profile:
"I am a firm believer that CF is an integral part of my officer safety program and the efficacy of the program pulls me through scraps with more confidence and fitness than the bad guy (and sadly, most of my cop counterparts- don't even get me started on that topic!)"--Ian's quote

Ian- I was thinking about the fact that I have been a cop for 12 years and had to fight, wrestle, and scrap too many times to count. However, my department still will not hold anyone to a fitness statndard, and to steal a label from someone else, we got a few Jelly Belly's walking around. Yet, we make sure everyone is qualified with all their weapons 3 times a year. I am not saying that weapons don't have a place but the guy I chased last week did not seem to care much about my pistol. He looked at it and me and started to run agian. So it went to the old fashion method, hands on. Sounds as if your K9 unit is squared away.

Old 12-05-2006, 08:18 PM   #5
Ian Carver

Profile:
Thanks, Mark. I agree 100%. Not to hijack the thread, but you got me started...I think it's pathetic that so many departments don't have standard that needs to be upheld in the fitness department. Officers need to find a "functional" fitness system, such as CF and use it as a tool. Bodybuilding is not where it is at. I've seen some big cops throwin some spastic little crankster around for about 30 seconds and then they are absolutely gassed and it's over for them. And then you hear them on the radio, huffin and puffin, screamin like a schoolgirl because now their flex ain't got no mojo... They look bada--, but that's about it.

I watched a gang training video once of a Nazi Low Rider being debriefed (spilling his guts) at a state prison. He said flat out, "we cons have nothing to lose. We are in a cell for 23 hours a day. We do burpees, push ups, sit ups, jumping jacks, and punch our bedrolls all day. We are waiting to fight the cops, because we know most of them are an easy kill. If you come to fight me, boy, you better have wind, 'cause I can go forever. I'll lead you out in the middle of nowhere, wear you out, take your gun, and put one in your head. Your back up ain't gonna find you." -- Nice stuff, eh? But it's the truth.

Cops should be expected to pass a physical fitness test on a regular basis and should also spend an entire 8 hour day once, if not twice, a year in a groundfighting class. I agree, Mark. Your gun is only good in 1% of the cases you pull it out (and the bad guys know this), the rest is really up to us. I too had a similar instance about 7 years ago when after a long foot chase I cornered a very fit, former boxer bad guy trying to go over a fence. I had him at gunpoint and he turns around and says "I know you can't shoot me, so put it away" and squared up on me. The fight was on and in the end he lost, but if I couldn't hold my mustard that guy would've tooled me. There's a moral in there somewhere. I guess it would be to preach the gospel to all the non-belivers out there.

Alright Martin, I'm done hijacking your thread, sorry. Stay safe and stay fit out there.
Old 12-06-2006, 04:56 AM   #6
Martin Schap

Profile:
No sweat Ian. You're out there taking names while I sit here in my office (and it's a government job, so you know I don't do too much, right:wink:) Anyway, thanks for the responses. This type of stuff is exactly what I was wondering about.

As far as the jelly belly thing... That made me absolutely sick when I read about it. Most of the police officers in my home town look pretty trim and squared away, and a few might potentially do Crossfit (they at least know what it is because I wore my Crossfit shirt to a 5k put on by the FOP and one of the officers there commented on it) but we have a few who look pretty tubby, and I can't imagine why someone in that line of work would be ok putting themself and their budies in harm's way by not staying fit. It's absolutely insane.