CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 08-26-2008, 11:15 AM   #1
Peter Queen

Profile:
9yr old pitcher not allowed to play 'cause he's too good!!

WOW, 40mph fast ball! I know adults that can't throw that fast..LOL!

Anyway, this seems absolutely ridiculous, IMHO. I'm not very knowledgeable on the rules that govern little league baseball, but can't they move him up into another league or something?

When I was a kid, we use to pitch rocks at each other and try to hit them with sticks until we could afford to buy actual equipment with our allowances. Now you have a kid this good and there is no encouragement to move forward with trying to nurture and further develop his skills. Where are the real adults in this? And when I say real, I mean adults who really care about promoting good skills and less worried about being PC.

So much for helping kids achieve their dreams.
OK, Iíll get off my soap box now.

(W/F Safe)
http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns
Old 08-26-2008, 11:17 AM   #2
Scott Borre

Profile:
Re: 9yr old pitcher not allowed to play 'cause he's too good!!

Yep. Completely ridiculous. The spirit of athletics has changed.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:24 AM   #3
Michael Blazek

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Queen View Post
WOW, 40mph fast ball! I know adults that can't throw that fast..LOL!

Anyway, this seems absolutely ridiculous, IMHO. I'm not very knowledgeable on the rules that govern little league baseball, but can't they move him up into another league or something?
Actually yes he does have the option of either not playing or moving up. He is 9 years old, it should be his choice to move up to the higher league. Basically they want him to play with 11-13 year olds. That is just not fair to him.

The kid isn't wild, he is not hurting anyone. They wont let him play because they are worried he might get too many strike outs and the other team wont have a chance. The this leauge works is there are 8 teams and he must have I believe 3-4 days rest between games. So he can't pitch every single game! Which would mean that teams would maybe see him once in the season if each team played twice.

We seriously need to start keeping score in Tee-Ball games so kids start learning to lose! and learn how to lose.

Oh and I'm sure there is some kind of legal issue here.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:48 AM   #4
Steve Lobotsky

Profile:

"Jericho’s coach and parents say the boy is being unfairly targeted because he turned down an invitation to join the defending league champion, which is sponsored by an employer of one of the league’s administrators."

That kinds sums it all up.

Youth sports and deer hunting really can bring up the worst in people.

Last edited by Steve Lobotsky : 08-26-2008 at 11:54 AM.
Old 08-26-2008, 12:22 PM   #5
Robert Callahan

Profile:

That is pretty lame that they are not letting a kid that talented play, but you have to wonder if it is not for the best? Especially with a position like pitcher it is not uncommon for a kid who shows potential at an early age to start training like an elite athlete which leads to major over use and muscle imbalances and eventually to having surgeries by the age of 14-16 and burn out way before they have a chance to get to the pros.

Excluding a player because they are "too good" is just silly and completely negates what competitive sports are about. But for the health and longevity of the little guy I hope he uses this to take some time off before getting sucked into the grinder.

-Robert
Old 08-26-2008, 12:24 PM   #6
Chris Walls

Profile:

Well maybe everyone could show some moderation. Let him play, let him pitch (maybe not all game very game...) and keep it fun while encouraging his talent. Not throwing him into the grinder of overuse, surgeries and burnout before he's out of junior high?
Old 08-26-2008, 11:22 PM   #7
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Interesting, as a 9yo we played in the " minors, " and there could have been 10yo or 8yo in there.

8yo was the farm league and it meant the coach either pitched or put the ball in a machine.

7yo could have been in farm or tee-ball. However, in minors, teams had pitchers and I can remember getting drilled quite a bit.

Honestly I don't think there were any kids throwing 50 and typically at the batting cages we would be hitting the 40, 45, or 50 mph machines. I'm sure some of the kids were throwing 40, but mainly if a kid could throw over the plate, he could get strike outs since the strike zone was bigger than Japan's.

This obviously sounds more political. Every team had a few pitchers and most teams pitcher's were nothing special unless they were big.

However, if he had some control and could throw a sinker or off-speed pitch, even if it was just a three finger or cut FB he could literally shut out most teams.
Old 08-27-2008, 05:14 AM   #8
Tom Rawls

Profile:

The kid is obviously on the juice.
Old 08-27-2008, 01:49 PM   #9
John Bickel

Profile:

Ahh the politics of little league. . . how I do not miss it. Of the sports that I participated, it seemed to have the worst parent interference.

Parent interference/politics has seemed to have changed over the years. 23+ years ago, it seem that parent interference was aimed at "helping" your kid's team or hurting a rival's team.

Nowadays, it seems that parent whininess has been added to mix (they still like to hurt/cheat). Maybe it has always been there and I just never noticed it as a kid.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:20 PM   #10
John C. Brown

Profile:

so, before we start criticizing the league here let's take a look at the facts:

he came onto this particular team mid way into the season , he already plays for a traveling all-star team (oh yeah and he is 4th in the rotation on that team and doesn't do very well against decent competition), the league offered to move him into a higher league so he would face more valid competition (go figure, do something harder and get better for it) and his parents declined, the majority of the players in the league in question are first year players.

I think that the idea of not moving your son up so he can dominate in his league is a little ridiculous and the fact that the parents are taking litigatory actions is even more stupid.

Some one mentioned letting the kids play and have fun, for a bunch of 8-9 year olds facing a pitcher that you can't get a hit off of is not fun. It seems to me like the parents either set up this situation on purpose or, like has been suggested, are pushing this kid waaaaaay too hard for his age.

Last edited by John C. Brown : 08-27-2008 at 02:22 PM. Reason: I can't type no good english...