CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-22-2006, 09:10 AM   #1
Kevin Rogers

Profile:

Hey-

My town is doing a fitness project to improve health and fitness for the community. The goal is to educate, motivate and support people to make changes in their dietary and excercise habits, etc. Today was the kick-off and initial evauations.

Well... knowing that, I took my CF rest day yesterday and worked as the throws official at a track meet last evening instead of the Friday WOD. Its my local high school where I work with the HS kids on shot and discus. I also coach wrestling there during the winter, but anyway. Took a rest day.

So, this morning I was feeling good and went thru my CFWU+HSPU+L-PUx2 and then went to the fitness evaluation. IT was a blast!

Got there and first ran into one of my wrestlers,... out of college now and working as a trainer. It always great to hear, "Hey Coach!" Then ran into an old classmate who now ownes FitClubNorth, FitClubWest and FitClubSouth. SportsCare, YMCA, Racquet & Fitness Centers, etc were set up into booths and all the fitness trainers in the area were on hand.

On to the eval, first... age 47, height 5'10", weight 192lbs, BMI 27, BMI category... overweight. What??? Its 9am and they've already written down on my eval that I'm overweight. Damn, that's bogus! I'm not gonna get any taller!

Next, 12 minute run/walk - 1 7/10 mile. (I actually did 2 miles in 15:30.) Then the push-up and squat tests... they stopped me went I topped the chart for my age-group... 47PU & 35SQ. I really was planning to do 100 on each... although they didn't like me saying that. My blood pressure was 134/84 after the run and my tot chol was 181.

Finally, I went to the organizers table and asked to speak to the person in charge of the prizes. I suggested to her that she try to get one of the Concept2 rowers for the grand prize. She ask why and I told her that that's what I would really like to win.

"I'm in it to win it."

So, I'm enjoying my new found workouts and I hope to win the 6 month Fit City contest.

Good luck in your training,

-K
Old 04-22-2006, 10:42 AM   #2
Jamila Bey

Profile:
Great job!

What city are you in?
Old 04-22-2006, 11:47 AM   #3
Kevin Rogers

Profile:

Jamila-

Thanks, I'm in Springfield, Illinois.

-K
Old 04-22-2006, 07:41 PM   #4
Karl Geissler

Profile:
Kevin-

I am up in Urbana, IL, and I think that there are a couple of other guys in your area. We should try to get something going some time soon.

Old 04-23-2006, 05:44 AM   #5
Kevin Rogers

Profile:

Karl-

Aye, as a coach and trainer I've often thought of getting something going like this CF concept in Central Illinois. Some 14 years ago I founded AncientAthletics and served as AthleticDirector until last year when I retired. Its purpose is to develop athletes for the highland games. I've seen it grow from 3 guys to 60-70 men and women at every event, 8-10 times per year.

I've coached baseball, football, wrestling, T&F, Scottish heavy events, strongman and weightlifting in this area and know quite a few athletes who would probably like to try something like this.

Stay in touch and maybe we will build something around this CF concept. I keep looking for space around this University of Illiinois Springfield campus to open an "Off-Campus Fitness Center."

The idea of "CrossFit Springfield" runs thru my head often. But I've still got alot to learn about it and it may take a few years to get certificates required for an affiliate status...

I've got keys to the weight room and track at my high school, or maybe we could meet halfway.. Decatur and throw an event together, part CF, part highland game, part strongman... eh?

Good luck in your training,

-K
Old 04-25-2006, 02:39 PM   #6
Kalen Meine

Profile:
Yeah, topping out the charts for bodyweight exercises kinda shuts down the whole "you're too heavy" chorus, don't it?
Old 04-27-2006, 11:53 AM   #7
Mikki Lee Martin

Profile:
I think there are some other threads that refer to the Bogus Mass Index- What is the relevance ?
Old 05-01-2006, 10:54 AM   #8
Aushion Chatman

Profile:
Maybe you guys answered my question about the military height/weight standards...

Great job at FitCity Kevin.

Aush