CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-09-2008, 11:20 PM   #1
Brian Rosol

Profile:
CF with other sports

I do Jiu Jitsu at a competitive level - which means that i pratice around 2 hours a day 4-5 days a week. I love to lift as well, both old school power lifting and CF/gym jones stuff. So for a couple of weeks now i deiced to up my fittness training. i lift 4-5 times a week. Since i started i have noticed a considerable drop in preformence in my Jiu Jitsu. i have done this before and the same thing keeps happening. (have a good diet - paleo/zone) Any thoughts on what i can change so that i can do both? or do i have to scarafice training in one area? I would really like some imput on this because i am stuck!
Old 06-09-2008, 11:39 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: CF with other sports

So you:

1. Practice 2 hrs 4-5 days a week
2. Lift 4-5x a week

Lemme think about that. Too much?

Consider what is more important to you. Then do that and maybe add in 1-2 workouts *at most* in addition to what you are doing. Even with this schedule you NEED 2 full rest days (of no lifting, no jiu jitsu) to recover well enough, heh.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:38 AM   #3
Brian Rosol

Profile:

that was kinda what i was thinking was going to happen as well, whih sadly is not really the answer i wanted to hear hahaha what i get stuck on thou is the idea that professional athelets have to lift more then once or twice a week...idk mabey that is just in my head
Old 06-10-2008, 03:56 PM   #4
Alex Nisetich

Profile:

that may be so, but you (I take it) are not a professional athlete. Most pros have been at an elite level of competition for years, so they can handle a high volume of training. They are also generally gifted in ways that non-pros aren't -better genetics, coaching, more talent, etc. Most importantly, it's their JOB to train. They have all day every day to just train, and they have all the time they don't spend training to recuperate. Not so for the rest of us. If you want to train like a professional athlete, then make it your profession. If there's a good reason why you shouldn't do that, train like an amateur.
Old 06-10-2008, 04:25 PM   #5
David Stout

Profile:

I completely agree with Steven.

Coach Glassman has previously said that someone doing essentially what your doing (Brian) will eventually crash and burn.

Consider yourself perpetually in season as athlete, since jiu jitsu is a sport with no inseason/offseason per se. Additionally I suspect your probably training AND rolling all 4-5 of those days.

If you are training as I described above and then lift AND metcon on top of that, do not expect to: a. recover b. progress.

Do expect to: a. overtrain b. experience performance declines on the mat.

I'm a jiu-jitsu guy AND a crossfitter and you must find balance in your training. You can do all of this but, again, you have to prioritize and balance the total volume of your training out.

Hope this helps,

David
CF Chattanooga
Old 06-11-2008, 09:29 AM   #6
Patrick Haskell

Profile:

I'd also consider adding an off-season to both CF and jujitsu, where you can focus on building strength or endurance or on preparing for a test (if that's what your doing). If you're training for a meet, you probably want to put serious thought into how you are training, e.g., strength first, then endurance/metcon, technique only in the week or two leading up to the meet. Regardless, you will have to back off by some combination of days off and scaling of workouts. If you don't have a specific competition in mind, by all means experiment on yourself and see what works. Just be aware of overreaching, eat well, sleep like Rip van Winkle, and take unplanned days off if you sense performance slipping.

You can find your own schedule in there somewhere. Maybe 4 days of each will work for you, if one day a week is dedicated to laps between the couch and the refrigerator and at least one day of each type of activity is extremely low intensity (essentially active rest). One day, you might do a WOD in the morning and roll at night (maybe getting your butt handed to you occasinally on account of it). An active rest day might simply involve practicing oly lift technique with an empty bar or practice of technique without actually rolling. How a busy workout schedule works for you depends on how much intense training you pile on yourself and how well you recover. Remember, you need intense training to progress, but we don't get stronger from our intense workouts, we get stronger recovering from our intense workouts.
Old 06-12-2008, 05:58 AM   #7
Kevin Moore

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Rosol View Post
I do Jiu Jitsu at a competitive level - which means that i pratice around 2 hours a day 4-5 days a week. I love to lift as well, both old school power lifting and CF/gym jones stuff. So for a couple of weeks now i deiced to up my fittness training. i lift 4-5 times a week. Since i started i have noticed a considerable drop in preformence in my Jiu Jitsu. i have done this before and the same thing keeps happening. (have a good diet - paleo/zone) Any thoughts on what i can change so that i can do both? or do i have to scarafice training in one area? I would really like some imput on this because i am stuck!
Don't overthink it. Workout a couple days a week, use a finisher after each workout. Your BJJ training will take care of the rest.
Old 06-13-2008, 01:54 PM   #8
Phillip Garrison

Profile:

How long are your lifting sessions, and how far apart from your grappling sessions are they?