CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-17-2008, 10:42 AM   #1
Will Parker

Profile:
CF too much with other sports?

Does anyone feel that the 3 on 1 off is too much? I play Rugby atm even though the season just finished I still have training twice a week and with the 3 on 1 off aswell I find it is just too much.

What sort of routines work ethics do you fellow rugby players follow?

I know that there have been threads like this in the past but alot of them were players just starting incorporating CF into there work schedules and I'm also interested as to how it has helped you progress and what sort of schedules you followed.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:06 AM   #2
Jackson Smith

Profile:
Re: CF too much with other sports?

I don't know enough about training for rugby to get into specifics therein, but I do remember reading somewhere that Coach's overall model is designed with the intention of Crossfitters participating in at least one sport in addition to the WOD, be it a martial art, rugby, etc.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:34 AM   #3
Andrea Grant

Profile:

I don't know that I would try to do 3 on 1 off in addition to rugby training. I think that I would be more in mind to try some variation of 2 on 1 off. Basically looking to do CF wods 4x per week and the 2x per week for rugby.
I know from my experience, I played full contact football. I worked hard at crossfit through out the off season through to preseason with tremendous gains. But once we were in season I stopped. I wished I hadn't done that. I wasn't able to strike the necessary balance in part because of the physical demands of football practice and games. In part because of my age, I was having a hard time with recovery.

Whatever you do work hard to strike a balance.

Good luck!
Old 04-17-2008, 12:21 PM   #4
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

I used to play rugby and I typically did heavy wieghts during the season and maybe one extra day of running. I would do either a Texas Method from Rippetoe or the PerformanceMenu WOD. Rugby conditioning is very similar to Crossfit's metcon. Save Crossfit for preseason
Old 04-17-2008, 01:17 PM   #5
Gregory L. Johnson

Profile:

Try my schedule. I workout 5 days out of 7 with two days for sport specific training and 3 for WODs. Make sure you take rest days. I wouldn't try do Crossfit 5 days and Rugby the other 2 days. You could experiment with doing Crossfit on the days of Rugby training making sure have a few hours rest in between. Experiment and see what you can handle.

Check out the programming on theCrossfit Endurance site. They mix the WOD with sport specific endurance work in running cycling and swimming.
Old 04-17-2008, 07:10 PM   #6
Michael Bell

Profile:

If the 3 on 1 off is too much along with your 2x a week rugby training, try this...

Take out the WOD's that are geared toward cardio (i.e. anything where you have to run or do box jumps and burpees). Leave in the ones where you do heavy lifts (i.e. squats, deadlift, etc.) and pullups/pushups/dips/situps.

Do this for three reasons:
1. Rugby practices/training already involve a great deal of cardio exercise, so you don't have to double up.
2. The heavy lifts work your core and balance muscles and are geared toward explosiveness - all things you need in rugby.
3. pullups/pushups/dips/situps will also work your core and will help you be able to control your body better on the field (bringing a guy down, getting up after being taken down, etc.)
Old 04-19-2008, 08:16 PM   #7
Joe Bernard

Profile:

I am not a rugby player, but I do play golf competitively during the spring and summer. The 3 on 1 off is too much for me because I am usually sore after each workout and this affects my flexibility, which I need for golf. So I usually do 2 on 1 off. I also did what Michael suggested and it worked really well. So give his suggestion a try and see how it goes.
Old 04-20-2008, 05:50 AM   #8
Will Parker

Profile:

Thanks for your feedback I will give the 2 on 1 off a try.
Old 04-20-2008, 04:59 PM   #9
Daniel Barulich

Profile:

Hell, CF is almost "too much" to do 6 days as week as RX'd. You've got to be in damn good, practically elite, shape to tackle the workouts in a consistent manner.

The Crossfit protocol has so much variation that I've found soreness to be a limiting factor, as the body is bombarded with such different stimuli that recovery from day to day has been my achiles heel. I still manage 5 CF workouts a week, drawing primarily from the Navyseals.com WOD. I typically modify the RX, usually using a weight that is 80-90% of the Rx (I weigh 154).

I can't Imagine doing a full Crossfit workout along with sport specific training on the same day. It sounds pretty punishing. I believe Coach suggested in the FAQ that the Crossfit program makes a good active recovery workout if it is going to be accompanied by sport specific training.

If you're going to integrate the CF protocol into your sport specific training, It would seem rational to downscale the intensity as to accommodate for the additional fatigue.
Old 04-20-2008, 05:04 PM   #10
Joe Bernard

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Barulich View Post
The Crossfit protocol has so much variation that I've found soreness to be a limiting factor, as the body is bombarded with such different stimuli that recovery from day to day has been my achiles heel.
Yea I have the same problem. The past cycle was a killer for my shoulders and today I couldn't do the Shoulder press, so I am taking an extra day off.