CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 03-31-2008, 05:19 PM   #1
Darren Ellis

Profile:
Using Ning for a Crossfit site?

Has anyone ever considered using a Ning social networking site for Crossfit?

Could be great for interaction, as every member gets their own page, can set up sub-groups (perhaps for training sessions), and it's easy to add photos and video.
I'm just brainstorming for the best option for my site when I make a start so any opinions are welcome.

Cheers

D
Old 03-31-2008, 06:47 PM   #2
Frank E Morel

Profile:
Re: Using Ning for a Crossfit site?

must be a southern hemisphere thing...
Old 03-31-2008, 07:59 PM   #3
Darren Ellis

Profile:

You're a cheeky Yank Frank.....

Sorry, should have included the website. www.ning.com (w/f/s). It essentially allows someone to set up their own mini Facebook/Bebo/My Space type blog.

It's growing pretty fast and is being used by big companies now to create communities around their product or ideal.

Here's an example of one for mothers looking to get back into shape. Some parts are member only, but you'll get the idea.
www.clubfym.com (w/f/s)
Old 04-13-2008, 09:28 PM   #4
Joseph Randall

Profile:

CrossFit Birmingham uses Ning.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:44 AM   #5
Mike Kraft

Profile:

Spammer.

Last edited by Lynne Pitts : 09-17-2008 at 07:05 AM.
Old 09-05-2008, 09:57 AM   #6
David Wood

Profile:

Mike, please remember to designate any link you post (including your own) as "safe" (or not). This is a requirement. We cut newbies some slack, but not forever.

Also, you might want to *seriously* consider changing the "sign up" page on your site to say "Sign up for CrossFixx" . . . it currently says "sign up for CrossFit", which is a trademarked name. I see a "cease and desist" order coming your way fairly soon (unless you've already arranged it with CFHQ (in which case I withdraw this comment).
Old 09-05-2008, 10:20 AM   #7
Andy Gann

Profile:

Quote:
Could be great for interaction, as every member gets their own page, can set up sub-groups (perhaps for training sessions), and it's easy to add photos and video.
I'm just brainstorming for the best option for my site when I make a start so any opinions are welcome.

First of all - Congratulations on becoming an affiliate and going after a dream. I admire your willingness to go after it and try to create something that wouldn't exist and wouldn't help people if you had not been put on the earth.

Personally, as a husband, a father of 2, a 40+ hr/wk employee, a volunteer, a crossfitter and a hobbyist (music/blog/etc...) the last thing that I want to do is have to set up a page that I will have to manage (i.e. another timesuck). But that's just me.

I think the important questions for you are:
1) what kinds of things do you want your target audience/members to say about you?
2) What is the primary purpose of your web presence?
3) Do YOU want to have to administrate/manage/educate all of your users on how to properly set up their pages/groups/etc ...?

If ning is your only web presence then your 'front face' to (potential) clients would be in the hands of non-professional web designers. This could be a bad thing if it doesn't match 'who you are'. On the other hand, If that is who you are and what you want to brand, then I say go for it.

My opinion is that the biggest mistake made when setting up a presence on the web is going after the latest and greatest and neatest thing that some other people are starting to use without asking yourself the hard questions (i.e. 'What do I want my lasting impression to be to a person that ONLY visits my site?').

Anyways - just my $.02.

Good Job on Affiliation and best of luck to ya!
Old 09-05-2008, 10:47 AM   #8
Greg Major

Profile:

One that's easy to set up and maintain is www.squarespace.com wfs. I use it for my site. What I like is it's very flexible and you don't have outside ads. It's much easier than building your own site and less than having someone design a site for you. Along with what Andy said, your website is often peoples first impression of your business. You also have to ask how many different communities is an individual going to join. In addition to my main site I've also set up a facebook site. That way I reach people I never would have before.
Old 09-05-2008, 02:49 PM   #9
Joseph Randall

Profile:

www.crossfitbirmingham.com (wfs)
Old 09-08-2008, 06:24 PM   #10
Jerry Hill

Profile:

Ning Rocks!

Great community site.

CrossFit Oldtown Site is WFS: