CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 02-25-2008, 12:32 PM   #1
Brandon Oto

Profile:
3 months of SS -- soup to nuts.

On 11/14, I decided to get on board a Starting Strength routine. The main reason is because I was beginning to row with a local team and while we weren't working out every day (3 days a week usually), doing a WoD and rowing on the same day was well beyond me. However, rowing and a strength workout were doable.

So, I'd be doing nearly the normal program:

Monday
Squat
Shoulder press
Deadlift
Weighted pullups

Wednesday
Squat
Bench press
Weighted pullups

Friday
Squat
Shoulder press
Weighted pullups

Squats were all low-bar, which I was basically learning how to do as I went. I decided to do pullups every day, because my pulling's pretty good and for CF it's practically our bread and butter; but I had a high 1RM and a low 5RM, so I went waay down in weight and built up slowly. I also did this palms-in; generally I face out but I wanted a bit of variety and also to experiment with, um, biceps. (My back's fine.)

You'll notice I omitted power cleans. This was just kind of a laziness thing; I was already doing form work with cleans etc. most days, and I have NEVER had a shortcoming of power, so I really didn't think it would be a problem. In retrospect it probably would have helped to include these. Live and learn. Don't tell Rip.

Modifications made to the program over the course of time were:

- Initially I fiddled a bunch with the pullup rep scheme. Tried unweighted high-volume, five sets at weight, palms in and out, etc. Eventually I settled on 3x5, just like everything else, with a DB in my feet, palms in, and a 2kg progression every workout. I kept this up until the last week or so, when I wasn't progressing anymore so I just did some bodyweight sets palms-out to keep busy.

- I didn't do DL at all for the first few workouts; DL scares and injures me (my lower back is lame). Eventually I worked it in.

- Starting 11/22, I decided to sub front squats for back squats every third workout; mine was deficient and needed the work. I more or less kept this up, though it was a little on and off. On 1/16 I decided this was not cutting the mustard, spoke to Rip, and he said to alternate FS and BS every workout, which I did until I finished up. Front squats are a ***** for me; my quads were sad.

- Various workouts got dropped due to scheduling and such.

- From 12/13 to 1/11, I was off the program due to a trip. The first and last weeks or so I wasn't sedentary (doing other workouts and such), but in the rest I mostly was. So that's a big gap.

- When my bench, press, and chins began to stall out significantly, I screwed around with them a little, then on advice from Brian D. I stepped back the weight a bit and took them up to 5x5, then continued at five sets every workout. That kept them progressing a little longer.

Towards the beginning, I was rowing about three times a week, and when I could I'd squeeze in a WoD (just cherry-picked, not on the schedule). Later rowing slowed down and I was doing two WoDs most weeks. Later it was usually one thrown in somewhere, and eventually it was nothing but SS and whatever occasional rowing occurred. Throughout all this I would stick in some minor form work on running, handstands, whatever, and I did a significant amount of Oly form work towards the beginning, though that also slackened by the end.

Initial working weights were:

Squat: 176
Press: 88
Deadlift: 264
Bench: 160
Chin: 22lb
Front squat: 165

Ending working weights were:

Squat: 243
Press: 116 (5x5)
Deadlift: 331
Bench: 187 (5x5)
Chin: 57 (5x5)
Front squat: 204 (some of the hardest **** ever)

Initial 1RMs were:

Squat: 253 (high bar, three months old)
Press: 138 (from a press/push press/push jerk WoD, two months old)
Deadlift: 320 (from a 7x1 WoD, two months old)
Bench: 175 (this is ancient but there's no way by actual PR was more than 180-185 by this point)
Chin: 100 (this is also old but probably not any higher by this point; also it may have been slightly questionably in terms of ROM)
Front squat: 173 (from a 10x1 WoD, two month old. However, even at this point I had cleaned 220, so I was definitely at more than this -- but not much more, I could always clean more than I could front squat.)

Ending 1RMs are:

Squat: 309 (56lb PR)
Press: 143 (5lb PR)
Deadlift: 391 (71lb PR)
Bench: 220 (~45lb PR)
Chin: 115 (~15lb PR)
Front squat: 243 (~70lb PR)

Initial bodyweight: 165
Ending bodyweight (weighed today): 180.8
Initial bodyfat (Zone method): ~12%?
Ending bodyfat (same): 13% (doubt this, I've gotten a bit chubby)

The only other interesting data I can add is the difference between the benchmarks I performed at 12/13 (about one month in) and the ones I performed today (about three months in).

In December I tested Sq/Pr/Dl (as a proper Total), plus bench. Results were:

Squat: 286
Press: 143
Deadlift: 391
Bench: 220

You'll notice that this was more than half of my squat gains, ALL of my press gains, ALL of my deadlift gains, and ALL of my bench gains -- in other words, everything that I added to those, I added in the first month. Sort of.

Thing is, I actually seriously doubt some of the 1RMs I took today. I did front squats, then bench, then chins, then the Total (squat, press, dead). The bench is not really correct; I made an attempt at 243 that failed and I didn't really want to keep hauling over strangers to pull the bar off me, so I didn't try anything lighter; I probably could have done 230 at least. The press may be correct, though it may also have been fatigued by my bench attempts. Back/front squats are probably fine, chins were legit, but the deadlifts were NOT coming off the ground and I suspect it may have been partly a grip issue. I ran out of chalk a while ago so I was using gloves, and despite using hook + mixed, it didn't feel very good. Who knows; but under any circumstances I'd have expected to see those increase by some amount. (I made three attempts over my PR, one unofficial one just past it, then gave up; maybe I'd have been able to match my PR but I didn't care at that point. So technically my total was like, 400 something...)

Diet: Zone-ish plus milk and fat. As time passed it got increasingly less Zoneish. My milk was around half a gallon a day at the most, usually somewhat less.

What's next? Diet's back to normal, I'll cut down bodyfat; I'm up to 22 blocks though, which will be a bother. Three weeks on Big 21 to hammer some Oly form in and tune up the new muscle for power. (I KNOW that I can PR in the clean right now, because the previous bottleneck was FS strength. I'd like to push everything up though.) Then... probably back to the WoDs!

If anyone wants my actual logs from the SS period, ask and I'll post the whole dump. I also have video from today of the front squats, chins, and the entire Total. Finally, I have some physique pictures, not quite before-and-after but close to it.
Old 02-25-2008, 02:38 PM   #2
Tarun Suri

Profile:
Re: 3 months of SS -- soup to nuts.

Those are some impressive gains my friend.
Old 02-25-2008, 03:00 PM   #3
Júlíus Magnússon

Profile:

Nice work. Crazy process on the chins, especially. Very impressive.

I gotta say, though, doing all these maxes the same day probably affected your results quite a bit and you definitely would have seen better gains in your maxes if you did them over a period of a couple of days. Maybe two lifts per day.
Old 02-25-2008, 03:25 PM   #4
Brandon Oto

Profile:

I agree.

I'm also cycling off creatine for the first time in some months, which may not be helping.
Old 02-27-2008, 06:39 PM   #5
Oliver Gould

Profile:

Great work bro. Given that we were very similar in strength when you started, I now have a wonderful model of what might happen if I really committed to a SS program.

Your lifts look really strong across the board. Aren't your working sets of squats a little low though? I feel like with a 300+ 1RM you could surely do 260+ for 3x5 with plenty of rest. I agree that a 5RM effort on front squats is horrendous, it's not just you and your quads, just about everyone I workout with dreads the pain of mid-rep front squats. They're soooooooo good for you though.

I do think that you have some kind of genetic mutation in regards to chins. You gained a ton of reps in no time at all on crossfit, and huge progress on the weighted chins too. Sweet.

Also, you gained 15 pounds! Awesome. Can't wait the see "giant brandon" when you get back.

By the way, how much do you think the extra stuff like rowing and WODs hurt/helped? I was considering trying to match up an SS routine with the more intensive BJJ classes that start in spring to try and maintain some cardio. Did you find extra work made a difference in the weight room on subsequent days?
Old 02-27-2008, 07:22 PM   #6
Brandon Oto

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Gould View Post
Great work bro. Given that we were very similar in strength when you started, I now have a wonderful model of what might happen if I really committed to a SS program.
Were we similar? You had legs...

I have an *** now... I almost couldn't close my dress pants the other day... it's like those Jenny Craig commercials.

Everyone rolls differently, there's so many variables (visible and hidden) that it's hard to predict anything for anyone...

Quote:
Your lifts look really strong across the board. Aren't your working sets of squats a little low though? I feel like with a 300+ 1RM you could surely do 260+ for 3x5 with plenty of rest.
Well, that's right around 80%, which is usually about right. Could I have more? I dunno. I just know that I was adding weight every workout and they all felt heavy. Of course, at a certain point, they all feel heavy because they ARE heavy, whether or not you're strong enough. Anyway...

Back squats were really the one thing that still seemed content to keep increasing. I don't know how long they'd have gone before stalling, but they did have some juice left.

Quote:
I agree that a 5RM effort on front squats is horrendous, it's not just you and your quads, just about everyone I workout with dreads the pain of mid-rep front squats. They're soooooooo good for you though.
The only thing that gets me as dizzy as those is deadlifting with a really tight Valsalva and without letting any air out. Something about exertion in the front squat posture just really gets you; when I fail a clean (unable to stand up) I usually have to sit down after...

Quote:
I do think that you have some kind of genetic mutation in regards to chins. You gained a ton of reps in no time at all on crossfit, and huge progress on the weighted chins too. Sweet.
Remember that pullups are one of the only things I was already doing before CF, so there's a pretty good groove there.

One of the things I'm happy with, 1RMs aside, is that my 5RM endurance settled out to a decent state by the end of this program. Since my 1RMs tend to significantly outstrip my sub-max endurance, it was almost as important to me that I get better at moving heavy weights multiple times as it was that I ratchet up my absolute maximum effort. I think my 3x5RM on weighted pulls must have been something in the low 30s before, which is ridiculous.

Quote:
Also, you gained 15 pounds! Awesome. Can't wait the see "giant brandon" when you get back.
I'll see how much I can maintain, especially once I cut down some fat. Do you have any idea how much of a pain in the *** 22 blocks is going to be?

Quote:
By the way, how much do you think the extra stuff like rowing and WODs hurt/helped? I was considering trying to match up an SS routine with the more intensive BJJ classes that start in spring to try and maintain some cardio. Did you find extra work made a difference in the weight room on subsequent days?
It was mainly a way of keeping my lard-*** in condition. I really did find that if I could get in even one decent metcon per week, my conditioning stayed in the right ballpark -- not really improving and not going to make anyone's monocle pop out, but not decreasing too much. It's important that the strength stuff is still strenuous, of course; if I'd been just doing an occasional metcon WITHOUT the strength training I don't think it would have been the same.

I think the rowing, especially back when we were doing more, helped temper up my posterior chain, particularly the lower back for longer-haul work. But this isn't significant stuff. I don't think any CFer would find themselves lacking in GPP in the sense that powerlifters demand it -- just enough fitness to get through their workouts -- so it's kind of a non-issue. Maybe at high levels the stimulus from WoDs is helpful to break through plateaus, but for the most part I wasn't at that point.

A few times I deadlifted and then had to row the next day, and had an unpleasant time with a tight back. And at least once or twice, I did a WoD that fried my arms or something, and it ruined my pressing or some such the next day or two. But then, sometimes I was just inadequately recovered for no good reason at all, so these kinds of things just happen. You'll play with your scheduling and find out what you can handle. I would NOT think that a purely metcon effort like rolling -- if it's not actually leaving your muscles significantly fatigued the next day -- would mess up your lifting unless you're actually hammering yourself hard enough to be systemically overtrained, but that would be excessive.

I'm going to have another shot at some of these 1RM attempts over the next few weeks, just mix them in when I get a chance; I may be able to replace some of those stagnant numbers with more reasonable ones soon.
Old 03-10-2008, 03:13 AM   #7
James Bailey

Profile:

Hi,

It looks like the program really ramped up your working weights, good gains.

I am considering doing the six week cycle myself for the very same reason.

My metcon, especially with bodyweight WOD's is at a fairly high level, Cindy 29 rounds, Chelsea +3, Angie sub 10 mins etc... but when it comes to WOD's with weights, well... I suck pretty much. Fran 8 mins, Elizabeth 15 mins (though I had just done heavy deadlifts before this one...) So I figure if I can bring my working weights up I could attack the WOD really well and make some leaps and bounds. My total would be at around 680 now, BS:240 DL:310 SP:130 ish... I figure at my size though I should be able to handle more weight, I'm 22/6"/175

I have been following a MEBB rountine with some success but also a lot of fatigue. So maybe your sort of program would be better, SS with a metcom per week for maintainence.

I would be really interested in your logs and other info too if you want to post it.

James
Old 03-10-2008, 05:51 AM   #8
Brandon Oto

Profile:

Looks like your stats are extremely close across the board to where mine were, James.

Give me a little while to cut out any recriminating notes and I'll post my log.
Old 03-10-2008, 06:01 AM   #9
Brandon Oto

Profile:

"f" means I failed on that rep.

The numbers following working sets indicate the difficulty from 1 to 10.

Trying...
Squat: 176x5x3
Bench: 154x5x3
Press: Try 118x5x3
Dead: 120x5

11/14/07

Lowbar
88x5
132x5
176x5x3 (8) (up 5 next week, hold for next workout)

Press
88x3
121x5 (failed at 3)
110x5 (failed at 4)
88x5x3, (5) (up 5 next week)

Chins
10 overhand
9+1 underhand
5+3 underhand (light weight next time)

11/16/07

Squats
Air
44x5 high
44x5 low
88x5
132x5
165x5 5(thought I went up 5kg, but damn it... this was DOWN. No wonder it was easy.)
165x5 4
165x5 4

Bench
88x5
132x5
165x5 5 (same weight on bench as squat? nothing about this seemed wrong? jesus.)
160x5 4
160x5 7

Chins
10 underhand 3
10 underhand 5
10 underhand 6

11/20/07

Squats
44x5 low
88x5
143x5
165x5
187x5 6
187x5 5
187x5 6

Press
88x3
99x5 6
99x5 6
99x5 7

Dead
154x4 3
198x3 3
264x5 8 (did this bastards fairly fast and weight was forward... video)
Felt pretty decent on these. Slight back twinge but no big deal. Will see later. Wear socks for deads or I go waaay forward to avoid legs.

4 underhand
3 overhand
17x5 under 6
17x5 under 6
17x5 under 7
17x5 under 8
17x5 under 7 (dumbbell in feet, FULL ROM)

11/22/07

Front squats
Air
44x5
88x5
132x5
154x5 6
176x5 9
165x5 8
Try 165 (75kg) next time.

Bench
44x10
88x5
132x5
165x5 6
165x5 7
165x5 7
One more, then add 2.5kg

Weighted chins
A few unweighted to warmup
22x5 4
22x5 5
22x5 5
0x5 (unweighted back-off)
Add a kg or two next time.

11/24/07

Squats
88x5
132x5
176x3
187x5 6
187x5 6
187x5 8

Press
44x10
88x2
105x5 7
105x5 8
105x5 9

Chins
3 overhand
3 underhand
26x5 under 5
26x5 under 5
26x5 under 6

KTE
10 6
7 7
8 7

[one workout missing]

12/4/07

Squats
[warmup with something intermediate]
192x5 7
192x5 8
192x5 9

Press
44x10
88x3
105x5 6
105x5 8
105x5 9

Chins
3 overhand
3 underhand
31x5 under 6
31x5 under 7
31x5 under 8

Dead
[something intermediate]
264x5 7
form better, no real pain

12/6/07

Front squat
[intermediate]
165x5 7
165x5 8
165x5 8
Warmups mixed with some jerks
Two-finger grip, helped angle. Still nasty.

Bench
[intermediate]
171x5 7
171x5 8
171x5 8

Chins
35x5 7
35x5 7
35x5 7

12/8/07

SS

Back squat
198x5x3 (doable, up next time)

Press
104x5x3 (hard)

Chins:
40x5x3 (hard but doable, try up)

Played with some jerks and snatches, wtf with arms going forward. Some situps and serious stretching.

12/11/07

SS

Back squat
204x5 6
204x5 7
204x5 8
(up CAUTIOUSLY)

Bench
176x5 7
176x5 8
176x5 9
(maxed, hold)

Chins
44x5 8
44x5 8
44x5 8
hard but doable, quite close though. up but don't expect this to go continue forever.

Dead
276x5 8
no pain, up. check form once I get video.

12/13/07

Succumbed to temptation, did a CFT and some benchmarks.

Squat
286 (33lb PR)
297.6 FAIL
292.1 (39lb PR)
can't add, overshot PR, oops!

Press
137.78 (old PR)
148.8 FAIL
143.3 (5.52lb PR)

Deadlift
374.78 (44lb PR) THOUGHT this was 340, my PR, but I can't add. Failed with regular grip, went staggered/hook.
385.8 (55lb PR)
391.3 (61lb PR)

PRs very close and good -- nothing left. No box on squats but I trust it and probably went too low even. Walked forward in press.

New Total: 826.7

Decided not to do front squats, deads beat me up.

Bench
(175 as PR but probably more like 180)
187 (7lb PR)
198.4 (18lb PR)
209.4 (29lb PR)
220.46 (40lb PR)
All went up easy, last was some work. Had MAYBE 5lb more in me, but no spotter.

1/11/08

Back to SS. Last working numbers were:
204 BS
105 PR
176 BP
44 CH
265 DL
165 FS

BS
198x5 (2.5kg down) 8
198x5 8.5
198x5 9
Up

PR
105x5 (same) 8
105x5 7
105x5 9
maybe up

CH
44x5 (same) 7
44x5 7.5
44x5 7.5
up

DL
265x5 (same) 7
up

1/14/08

New week, only a few days since DL but still.

BS
204x5 (back to normal) 6
204x5 8
204x5 8
Up

BP
176x5 (same) 9
176x5 9
176x5 9.5
HAARD stay

CH
48.5x5 7
48.5x5 7.5
48.5x5 failed on 5 (not enough rest maybe)
next time, hold, and try for sets of 6; bring up the reps.

DL
287x5 (same) 9
heavy, but good! up

1/16/08

Chest sore, posterior a bit, shoulders significantly and small band on delts very much

FS
165x5 (same) 7.5
165x5 8.5
165x5 9
Harsh, but up. Do these more.

PR
105x1 (same) 9
105x1 9
stopped. delts too sore for this.

CH
44x6 7.5
44x6 8.5
44x6 f6 8.5
maybe up to 7 next time, or partially sevens, I don't mind differential sets

1/18/08

FS
171x5 7
171x5 7.5 video for Rip
171x5 8.5

Shoulders still wrecked, benched again
176x5 9 (oof, too much)
154x5 8
154x5 9

Chin
44x6 9
44x6 9
44x6 f5 9

A bit of snatch form and stretching/OHS, but too beat to do much.

Basically was a mess. Sore and basically weak. Really need the rest. Delts still sore and chest (benching messed up the latter more).

Lower back been kinda tweaked.

1/21/08

Arms definitely are bigger, chest seems to be.

Weight's 173ish, btw.

BS
209x5 6
209x5 7.25
209x5 8.5
Piece of cake! Up!

SP
104.7 f5 8.5
104.7 f4 8.5
99 f5 8
Man, what's up with these? Pretty weak ****.

CH
44x7 7.5
44x7 8.5
44x7 f5 9
This is going pretty decent. Felt strong. Keep cracking at reps.

DL
309x5 9.5
WOW HEAVY. Last two at least were pretty rounded. Back's a bit tweaked. Small up.

1/23/08

Lower back sore still, calves significantly sore from yesterday. Rolled with ball, helped calves.

FS
176x5 8
176x5 8.25
176x5 9.25
Doable, up.

BP
176x5 8.75
176x5 8
176x5 8
Finally felt more doable. Dunno about next time though.

CH
48.5x7 (maybe 6, sketchy count) 6.75
48.5x7 8.5
48.5x7 f5 9
Stalled again looks like.

1/25/08

Quite hungover. Woke finally at 1:00ish, fuzzy. Not too bad but general malaise. Went for coffee, then SS.

Calves a little sore but no longer debilitating (limping last night). Arches fine. Lower back just a bit tweaked early, fine by end of day. (workout didn't affect it). Actually feel quite decent at end of day; lightly sore fairly evenly but nothing bad.

BS
215x5 7
215x5 7.5
215x5 8
Damn sexy, up.

SP
104.7x5 7.75
104.7x5 8.5
104.7x5 9
Finally hit this again, not tooo bad but still hard (last rep was quite close). Not sure; maybe an incremental up? Can I find a small pair of weights?

CH
53x5 7
53x5 7.25
53x5 8
Solid. Up reps.

Between press and chins, did a couple snatches then some clean and jerks, and tried like hell for a small clean PR. Was NOT happening; just couldn't stand from that ****. Damn it all. I'll get there.

Form pretty much ****ty as hell. Bunch of vids. Went downhill a lot.

Kept getting very fuzzy after failed cleans. Big head pressure. Hmm.

Once I finish SS, maybe Dan John's Big 21? Three weeks, would be a nice speed/technique component before I get back to metcon.

Nausea faded mostly by end of day.

1/29/08

FS
182x5 9
182x5 9.25
182x5 9.8

BP
182x5 9
176x5 9
176x5 9.2
compromised on weight

CH
53x5 8.9
53x5 9.3
53x5 f5 9.3
biceps were sore coming in

DL
298x5 6
Down 5kg from last time, made all the difference. Challenging but fine. Got video.

1/31/08

Rowed with the guys, but on ergs (weather). 20m (?) warmup. 500m (1:32.6, graaaf! like 42 SPM). Cooled down and bounced. Ran around town dealing with paperwork, then hit gym.

BS
220x5 7.5
220x5 8
220x5 9

SP
110x5 f5 8.5
105x5 2 reps with a missing 1.25 plate from left, fixed in about 10 seconds, 3 reps with rest. 6 then 8.5
105x5 8.5

CH
57x5 7.25
57x5 8
57x5 9
Back to just increased weight on these, screw reps
Old 03-10-2008, 06:02 AM   #10
Brandon Oto

Profile:

2/4/08

FS
187x5 8.5
187x5 8.75
187x5 9.4
up

BP
176x5 8.25
171x5 7.9
171x5 8.0
171x5 8.1
171x5 8.2
up to 5s. try 80 across the board next time.

CH
62x5 8.9
62x5 9.5
62x5 9.5 f5, just short
These are stalling too. Go to 5 sets next time! With 26 probably.

DL
309x5 8.8. Thumb was hurting (nail bleeding) so tried last without hook, grip gave out halfway, so f5. Did a prompt 6th with alternate grip, grip fine but of course fairly challenging. Still, good, and no pain. Go up 5kg next time.

2/6/08

BS
226x5 8.9
226x5 9
226x5 9.25
Videoed. I AM squatting at an angle. Push knees OUT and keep filming.

SP
99x5 8.15
99x5 7.9
99x5 8.15
99x5 8.25
99x5 8.85
Up to 5 sets. These are easier when I bounce...

CH
57x5 8.85
53x5 8.1
53x5 8.5
53x5 8.9
53x5 9.1
Up to 5 sets.

2/8/08

FS
193x5 9.3
193x5 9.3
193x5 9.8
ooof. Up. Elbows FULLY up before unrack, try not to let the relaxation/forward weight thing happen.

BP
176x5 8.25
176x5 8.65
176x5 8.7
176x5 8.8
176x5 8.8 goddamned spotter stepped in on last two, helped some. didn't need it.
Somewhat wobbly on all, but not sooo bad, and not huge bouncing. Very minor shoulder tweaking between sets.

CH
57x5 8
57x5 8.1
57x5 8.35
57x5 8.9
57x5 9.25

2/11/08

Rowed at noon, SS in evening. Went on water with Matthias in 2 (Emma coxed), I was stroke. Good row, very clean and smooth despite first time out in ages. Back complaining pretty much the whole time but never unbearable and always remedying with momentary rest. Left leg falling asleep...

BS
231x5 7.8
231x5 8.25
231x5 8.9
Not so bad. Really trying to keep it level and I just can't seem to decide how level it is. SEEMED okay and film SORT of confirms. Just keep working on it. More stable this time. Lower back tight at end (probably from rowing), no pain.

SP
105x5 7.8
105x5 8.25
105x5 8.3
105x5 8.65
105x5 8.8
Last rep on last two sets was hard, but otherwise they went smooth. Nice! Keep bumping it up, we'll see how far the 5x5 tweak takes me. Videoed last set, looks fine, though it'd be nice to straighten the wrists out.

CH
62x5 6.9
62x5 7.19
62x5 8.59
62x5 9.1
62x5 9.45
Last inch or so gets pretty difficult, but I THINK I'm still legal (a bit of neck craning). "Putting down" weight at bottom occasionally, seems like no big deal, kinda hard to avoid. These are starting to tax my forearms as much as anything.

DL
320x5 9.1
Grip was just about the hardest part; skin was folding up and hurting pretty quick, fingers overall complaining. Hooked all of them, last two used alternated as well (switched sides for each). Was more or less plopping down in the last few inches. Back slight complaint on last rep, otherwise fine. No big pain now. These 5kg jumps are about right. Wonder about grip; might have to start alternating regularly. Wish for some more chalk; maybe buy some? Bend forward MORE on descent, bar's going forward when it gets below knees.

2/13/08

FS
198x5 9.85
198x5 9.8
198x5 9.99
This was some of the hardest **** I've ever done. Absolutely demolishing. Hips shot a bunch on harder reps. Overall just madness. Either a bad day or these are stalling.

BP
182x5 8.8
182x5 8.7
182x5 8.7
182x5 8.9
182x5 9.37
Quite hard. Wobbly, bar moving back. Quite close to failure on a few.

CH
66x5 9.85
Unweightedx5
Unweightedx5
Unweightedx5
Unweightedx5
First set was soooper heavy, so just gave it up and did bodyweight palms-out pulls, which were also hard. I think today was just rough. Still these might be on the way to stalling again.

Abs quite sore the next day... odd... forearms somewhat too.

2/15/08

BS
237x5 8.95
237x5 9.09
237x5 9.8
These were haaard.

SP
110x5 9
110x5 8.9
110x5 9.25
110x5 9.8 uneven pressout (right dominant)
110x5 9.8 (same, bounced earlier reps)

CH
Bodyweight, overhand, max sets, normal width

2/18/08

FS
204x5 9.5
204x5 9.75
204x5 9.99
Jeeez. Elevated heels on board, seemed to make it a bit more quady, somewhat more just of a full-body thing. A tad easier probably. Nearly failed on last, like legit; stopped moving halfway up.

BP
187x5 9.25
187x5 9.2
187x5 9.21
187x5 9.24
187x 9.8
Quite even presses, decent bouncing as usual. Solid work.

CH
BWx5 overhand
BWx5
BWx5

DL
331x5
Grip again. Used gloves, no hook. First one slipped about a foot up, gave up and went to mixed for every rep, alternating each time.

2/20/08

BS
243x5 8.25
243x5 8.51
243x5 9.6
Really trying to keep bar level (this seems to mostly take care of itself when the weight gets heavy), keep knees from going forward, keep back tight, see if I can squat without folding first. Most of this is by pressing knees out, which changes the movement somewhat. One video. Back QUITE tight when done.

SP
116x5 9.25 uneven
116x5 9.22 bouncy
116x5 9.8 so close
116x5 9.84 f4
110x5 9.5 f5
Damn tough. All somewhat uneven (improved at end, I just have to think about it), right dominant. Pretty much all bouncy. Dropped weight on last set. Aggression helped (and led to bouncing).

Wanted a jerk... did a few warmup then threw on 85kg and did it a little tweakily. Can't convert, thought it was a PR, but no. Oh well.

2/22/08

Rest. Should have been my last workout, but spent the whole day in Den Hague with Josee/Christine shopping. Worn the **** out when I got home and it was late anyway. Oh well; I'll do something light (POSE?) tomorrow and have a nice rest to benchmark on Monday.

2/25/08

Final testing.

Rowed a bit and jumped a bit. Then

FS
All filmed
243f
243 Uh... like 63lb PR, supposedly.

BP
243f

CH
All filmed
115 (71 + 44)
137f
126f

Total!

BS
All filmed
309 (17lb PR)
331f
320f

SP
All filmed
149f
149f (without clips)
143 (matched PR)

DL
All filmed. Gloves, mixed + hook, no chalk, socks, normal shoes.
419f
408f
402f
397f (unofficial, no gloves). Uhh... grip? dunno.