CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 12-02-2007, 04:06 AM   #1
Lee Klein

Profile:
crossfit out of global gyms

hey guys,
just wanted to know if there is anyone doing crossfit out of global gyms and are you limited to any exercise
Old 12-02-2007, 07:33 PM   #2
Ben Kaminski

Profile:
Re: crossfit out of global gyms

I have done CF in many globo gyms; I am glad to say that I no longer have to settle for that. While it worked for years, I was ultimately limited by all the problems globo gyms have.

Here is a sample of the things I had issues with over the years:
restricted from moving bars and weights together to set up for a workout,
nothing higher then the pullup bar to hang rings from,
forbidden to do kipping muscleups on rings,
other people "working in" on my bar, station, rack, or pullup bar,
some of the worst music choices possible (think War: why can't we be friends),
finding space to work out during busy hours (especially if I had to hang my rings),
not always a place to run (besides treadmill),
rarely a rower present,
time spent moving between stations would slow me down

Here are some of the things I never had problems with:
doing HSPUs, wall ball (had to bring my own ball),
the GHD was almost always free (when the gym had one, which is rare),
getting stares from people while doing DB swings, kipping pullups, ring work, HSPUs, wall ball, or nearly any other functional exercise.

I've done about half of the things that "get you kicked out of your gym in ten days or less", sometimes without getting caught, sometimes while being allowed, and sometimes getting caught and reprimanded.

In summary, I was able to make it work, but it was difficult depending on the WOD that came up, and it was never as nice as a CF gym or a garage gym.
Old 12-02-2007, 11:14 PM   #3
Alex Rosch

Profile:

One of the big limiting factors is going to be doing anything that is close to olympic 'lifting...
I tweaked my back trying to keep an overhead-squat (OHS) off the floor while nearly a2a. So anything that is going to go overhead is going to have to be solid due to no-drop policy...even if you miss only 1% of the time with a weight, say doing a snatch, you'll pay for it one way or another (hurt yourself or break a BS policy).
I was doing my CFWU x 3 a few months back and some endurance-type weekend warrior who doesn't like my style told me I should wipe down all the 'machines' after I move...so I was to wipe after every change...like 5 movements x 3 times through for 15 wipe downs...instead of just the 5 or so after I got it done...and this was all things I have not seem a single soul use (roman chair/GHD, PU bar, dip station, bar of smith-machine for HSPUs)...actually, the thing that I wanted to point out that ****ed me off the most is that I do NOT use machines!
Just keep it safe...do whatever you need to do be safe...even if you're not welcome back...
Try to get the head trainer out to do CF...who knows!
If you want to lift barefoot, get some converse chuck-taylors or vibram FiveFingers (which I have and love).
Enjoy, and welcome.

Old 12-03-2007, 12:23 AM   #4
Lee Klein

Profile:

thanks ben and alex, i knew it was going to be hard. but the positive out of global gyms is that i can get the clients b4 moving on.
thanks guys.

alex you were saying to get my fitness director on to it, i mentioned it at my interview and his hooked now we work out together.
Old 12-03-2007, 12:48 AM   #5
Alex Rosch

Profile:

Now that you've got your director on it, see if you can't get some CF friendly equipment (eg Rings, bumper plates and O-lift training bar, C2 rower, plyo boxes, squat rack)...

Old 12-03-2007, 07:17 AM   #6
Wade Smith

Profile:

I work out at a local Golds; actually three different ones depending on where I'm at (work, home) or whether I need CF equipment. One of the local Golds does a SportSpecificTraining program (basically CF without calling it or following CF) and has most everything I need: Rings, Racks, Bumper plates, Kettlebells, slam balls, Dynamax balls, GHD, C2 rowers, plyo boxes, pullup bars (built into racks), etc.

That's the good news. Apart from being alone and being stared at as the guy "in a huddled puddle" after a spirited round of tabata or the guy "upside down pressing himself up", there are some limitations: (1) They hide some of the best stuff in the trainer closet because non-CF-savvy members slam Dynamax balls, etc, (2) Not enough bumper weight to get seriously heavy on squats, (3) non-CF-savvy members come and tie up a station doing curls with bumper plates to look cool. Other than those things, it's fine for me now since I have a family membership and my 16 year old son hasn't quite seen the enlightenment of CrossFit yet and still adores the machines.
Old 12-03-2007, 12:01 PM   #7
Wally Hatfield

Profile:

This post is for Wade.

I'm a member of Golds at rancho cordova and would like to incorperate rowing into some of my WOD's. The place is great for completing the WODs. I'm often the only one using the platform and squat racks, but they don't have a rower, rings, or kettleballs. I'd like to try out a rower as a sub for 300,000 sumo DL high pulls as well as the other specialized gear for Xfit. Which golds in the Sac area has the rower and rings I could try out?
Old 12-03-2007, 02:22 PM   #8
Scott A Martin

Profile:

The only thing I can't do is muscleups. There is no where high enough to hang rings.
Old 12-03-2007, 03:46 PM   #9
Steven Ngo

Profile:

i don't really have any problems at the gym unless it's ridiculously crowded. also, they only have up to 10lb medicine balls so i throw in more reps on my wallballs.

other than that, i can more or less do the workout i intend to do. i hang rings off the railing where the treadmills are (upstairs) down to the weight area (downstairs); it gives me plenty of clearance.

i have to admit, i do kinda work harder when people look. i've had people come up to me regarding Fran and rings in general (yes, i did name drop ringtraining.com
Old 12-03-2007, 04:02 PM   #10
Mike Kelley

Profile:

luckily I'm a trainer at a gym like these...so I can lift whenever I need to (usually when it's not busy)
I can move bars around
hang rings with no problems
and surprisingly we have kettlebells