CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 01-09-2007, 09:14 AM   #1
Peter Queen

Profile:
I have been tuning in whenever I can to see the WCL (World Combat League). I think that it is entertaining and all that but I was just wondering what your spin on the talent and how they rate in the overall scheme of the MA & MMA organizations. Would this be an area where fighters could prove themselves if they wanted to someday move over to Pride or UFC or vise versa? It does not matter to me either way because I like the fact that (thanks to Chuck Norris) part of the proceeds are being used to help underprivileged kids. I would say that it is a stepped up version of K1 but without the ground fighting. It might even be comparable to K1 Heroes but I have not had time yet to analyze the comparison. The other spin is that it is team based where the total score for each team’s performance is tallied at the end of the entire competition.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Combat_League
http://www.worldcombatleague.com/
(Family/work safe but does show some fighting scenes)

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:25 PM   #2
Jeff Gentry

Profile:
Peter

I do not know about the world combat league specificly, i have watched the International Fight League and i do enjoy it, there is some talent in the fighter's pool there and i know the coach's are top notch in the IFL pat Militich coach's, Bas Ruten coach's, Carlos Newton (former UFC middle weight? champion) coach's, I think one of the Gracie's is a coach, so i would imagine the WCL has probably got some talent, alot of the newer UFC guy's lately have come out of the small local circuit's.

The IFL also has the team concept it is diffrent i kind of like the team concept it is a somewhat interesting spin on a very individual sport.

Jeff
Old 01-09-2007, 10:40 PM   #3
Steve Nugent

Profile:
WCL is the Chuck Norris organization. My take is that he didn't want any grappling, clinching, or takedowns. There are also some restrictions on knee use.
Regarding the caliber of fighter, I think that there are few former UFC fighters (Pete Spratt-off the top of my head), but I don't expect WCL to be a significant feeder to the UFC due to the anti-grappling focus.
It's still far better than watching another CSI...
Old 01-10-2007, 06:27 AM   #4
Matthew Nielsen

Profile:
It is American Full Contact Kickboxing with a few changes.

Old 01-10-2007, 07:36 AM   #5
Peter Queen

Profile:
"...but I don't expect WCL to be a significant feeder to the UFC due to the anti-grappling focus."

Steve I can understand that viewpoint, but I know that, based on Becca's response to one of my questions on another thread, that UFC can pick up fighters with no particular fighting skill and train them under their own system. Case in point: Chris Leben.
So I would think perhaps that given the experience level anyway from the WCL, UFC or Pride might give them some consideration reagardless.
Just an a$$-umption. :msn-wink:
Old 01-10-2007, 07:40 AM   #6
Peter Queen

Profile:
"It is American Full Contact Kickboxing with a few changes."

Matthew, I like that assessment. :highfive:
Old 01-10-2007, 08:00 AM   #7
Matthew Nielsen

Profile:
Chris was training MMA long before he was picked up by the UFC.
Old 01-10-2007, 08:54 AM   #8
Peter Queen

Profile:
"Chris was training MMA long before he was picked up by the UFC."

OK, I'll go along with that, but if an individual's background is not recognized per se by one of the two schools that the UFC pulls their fighters from, then that will give them a "Freestyle" title. On paper that means they have no prior background experience. I know that sucks and may not be fair to the individual fighter but that seems to be the way the system sets up their catagories right now.
Old 01-10-2007, 09:25 AM   #9
Matthew Nielsen

Profile:
It doesn't mean they have no prior experience.

I think Freestyle means they didn't come from a Wrestling, BJJ, or Muay Thai background. If they have been training at a MMA gym for the last 6 years they would still be listed as "freestyle".

The UFC doesn't really push the style vs style (Wrestler vs Striker) anymore.
Old 01-10-2007, 09:55 AM   #10
Peter Queen

Profile:
OK, I mispoke and I stand corrected. Thanks for the clarification Matthew. This stuff gets confusing sometimes to keep up on.:crybaby0: