CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 04-29-2005, 02:35 PM   #1
Steve Shafley

Profile:
This population on the Crossfit forums seems to accumulate a lot of injuries. Anyone care to speculate why?
Old 04-29-2005, 04:41 PM   #2
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
Pushing the limits of athletic greatness on a daily basis.

Just like you don't really know how hard you can go until you puke or blackout. This 'limit' or boundary is in a dark void that is constantly changing, and crossing it can be hazardous.

Just like the first world travelers thought they would fall off the earth if they went too far, many of the other fitness 'pioneers' never venture out into deeper waters. It wasn't until someone said, "I am going to the edge and beyond" they realized that the their 'World' was only one slice of the pie - just a small piece to the greater scheme.

Only the difference with personal fitness is that the 'Edge' is something that moves depending on your fitness level, depending on your body type, depending on your training, diet, sleep, mental condition, etc.

The only way we can get an idea of the Void is to venture out into it and push the boundary on a regular basis. This can be dangerous, depending on how hard you push - how far you go. But the more time you spend near the edge, the more time you spend in the void – the more you are going to improve and reap the greatest rewards.

That being said, I don’t think CrossFitters as a whole are injured that much. I feel like I have fewer injuries now than when I did my specific sport (Martial Arts) exclusively. I think an injury forum is kind of a lint trap for the CrossFit online community. Just because you have lint to remove from your dryer every time you do laundry, it doesn’t mean that your close are disintegrating into nothing and you should stop using your dryer.
Old 04-29-2005, 04:57 PM   #3
Steve Shafley

Profile:
I don't feel it's worthwhile to push until injured. You lose training time, and, as you age, injuries accumulate. Same way about pushing until you vomit or black out. Counterproductive the vast majority of the time. Instructive? Not always.

The irresponsible prescription of exercise intensity for those not ready for it, or the formerly non-athletic population is part of it.

You gotta be smart about ramping it up. You have to know how to scale the WOD. You can't ignore that nagging pain in your elbow, shoulder, or knee, you have to take proactive measure to prevent and rehab things as they occur.

Old 04-29-2005, 07:38 PM   #4
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
"Train Hard, Train Smart" is what I like to say. I believe you should push to the edge of your limits to reach your potential. An athlete has to be in tune with his/her body to know how far to push without pushing too far. But, you can't be afraid of a little bit of pain if you want to succeed at a sport. You do have to know how to manage that pain so it doesn't escalate into something more serious.

As far as Crossfit injuries, I am willing to bet that most people here have had previous injuries/conditions prior to CF training that have flaired up with the intense WOD's
Old 04-29-2005, 07:49 PM   #5
Pat Janes

Profile:

I think you've probably answered your question in your 2nd post, Steve.

The prescription for CrossFit is to go as hard as you can; but also stated quite clearly, is the need to ramp up the intensity over a period of time.

From the getting started guide:

"In any case it must be understood that the CrossFit workouts are extremely demanding and will tax the capacities of even the world's best athletes. You would be well advised to take on the WOD carefully, cautiously, and work first towards completing the workouts comfortably and consistently before "throwing" yourself at them 100%. The best results have come for those who've "gone through the motions" of the WOD by reducing recommended loads, reps, and sets while not endeavoring towards impressive times for a month before turning up the heat. We counsel you to establish consistency with the WOD before maximizing intensity."

Ego, being what it is, causes a large number of people (myself included when I started doing the WOD) to go at it too hard, crash, and burn.

I'm not stating that as a reason for all, or even most of the injuries reported here; but I'll bet it accounts for many.

Oh... and what Veronica said... previous conditions, disposition etc...
Old 04-30-2005, 06:06 AM   #6
William Hunter

Profile:
I think that the CF population is quite large. I, for one, have not noticed the same people getting injured over and over. Each injury query seems to come from a different person. There's just a lot of people on this board.
Old 04-30-2005, 07:00 AM   #7
Lisa Sanfilippo

Profile:
From my personal experience. I believe the fitter you become the more physically active you become (beyond the physical training), the more small injuries you aquire. I am much more active in addition to exercise ie. rock/tree climbing, water sports, farm work etc. I may be way off here but many more people have back pain from sitting around too much. I'll take the small injuries from being excessively active. Ya know? In addition, as the others have posted most injuries were probably previous and this is a great/safe place to ask about them due to the knowledge here at CrossFit.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 04-30-2005, 08:43 AM   #8
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Looking thorugh the Injuries archives it looks more like newbies to CF looking for rehab information more than CF'ers melting down. Just my quick observation.
Robb
Old 04-30-2005, 09:51 AM   #9
Scott Kustes

Profile:
I've actually had fewer injuries since starting CF than prior. Other than my seriously twisted ankle a few weeks back, nothing. And obviously my landing on some guy's foot playing basketball had nothing to do with CrossFit and no amount of strength or training can prevent that from being a bad sprain. I haven't had a strained bicep or anything else from doing isolation exercises on CF (I suppose because I haven't done them in almost 2 years).

I'm gonna paraphrase Lisa here...the injuries are not coming from CF, but from the other activities that CF is allowing us to do based on our new found fitness.
Old 05-02-2005, 09:40 AM   #10
Ron Nelson

Profile:
I'm freaking old, that's why.