CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 06-26-2003, 11:16 AM   #1
Jeff

Profile:  
Hi everyone,

I am a recent convert to Crossfit and love it! I feel healthier, the program holds my interest mentally, and I have happily let my gym membership lapse. :rofl:

I'm trying to figure out a low-cost way to facilitate pull-ups. I live in a small apartment in Los Angeles with no garage and no yard, and I would prefer not to damage a doorframe by screwing in brackets to hold a bar.

I welcome any suggestions. I came across a product called "Door Gym." Does anyone have experience with it?

Thanks for your input.

Jeff
Old 06-26-2003, 12:58 PM   #2
Patrick Johnston

Profile:
I have it. It is a great product in my opinion.
Old 06-27-2003, 12:15 AM   #3
Jeff

Profile:  
Thanks Patrick, I think that's the plan. I wanted to hear someone with first-hand knowledge of the product. I appreciate it.

Jeff
Old 06-27-2003, 03:16 AM   #4
Matt Cullen

Profile:

Hi, Quick one. Can you do dips on this door gym?

Thank Matt Cullen
Old 06-27-2003, 12:54 PM   #5
Jeff

Profile:  
Hi Matt,

No, it can't be used for dips. It's strictly for pull-ups. If you do a search on Yahoo for Door Gym you can see a picture and read a description.

Jeff
Old 07-08-2003, 03:00 AM   #6
Gunther Riedel

Profile:  
I have the same problem as Jeff but to order in the States seems to be ridiculous on the shipping costs. Does someone know a place in Europe to order from or a place who do not ask ridiculous shipment costs. (one company I found on the net even asked $115.-- for shipment for a $29.-- bar).
Old 07-08-2003, 02:58 PM   #7
Tyler Hass

Profile:
Gunther,
I'm not sure if this would work in your situation, but I sell gymnastics rings. You can do pullups and dips on them. However you need a beam to hang them over. Another option is to put them through I-bolts, which you can put in your ceiling. As a last option, you can take them to the park and put them up over a swing set.
They weigh just under four pounds and so far, the shipping costs have been around $25 US dollars to Europe via Air Mail (7-10 days) or $12 via surface (4-6 weeks).
I think rings are much better for pull-ups and unbelievable for dips. If you can find a place to mount them, they will probably be a lot cheaper than a chin/dip stand and much more versatile. You can find out more at my web site: www.ringtraining.com.
I don't know of anyone in Europe selling chin-up bars, but $115 dollars is outrageous. Sounds like a scam to me.

Tyler
Old 08-02-2003, 05:25 PM   #8
The New Fred

Profile:  
Jeff,

Did you get the Door Gym? Do you like it?

Fred
Old 08-03-2003, 10:35 AM   #9
Coach

Profile:

We've substantial experience with the Door Gym and like it. But, if we were looking for a new rig I'd go with the Ultimate Chinning Bar - they also have a diping set up.

http://www.easychin.com/
http://www.easydip.com/

I like that these products are welded and not bolted together (this may not me desireable for travel) and are powder coated rather than painted.

Old 08-07-2003, 01:44 PM   #10
David Heyer

Profile:
Wallmart sells a pull-up/dip bar called the "Power tower" for $68.00. It doesn't require a doormount and you may be able to use rings on it.

Dave