CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 11-08-2006, 05:14 PM   #1
Kelly Moore

Profile:
Some time ago I signed up for the Dec 9 Grafton Trail Run. Seven plus miles of for a non-runner, for which I most certainly qualify. Improving my mile/400 meter time is something I had been planning to do anyway; nothing like an actual event to encourage me to train something I don't enjoy. I certainly don't want to embarass myself or Crossfit by finishing dead last.

I despise long slow runs. I'm slow enough already so I see no reason to continue to train myself to run slow. I know I can slog through several hours of 10 minute miles if needed but it sure would be nice to finish a bit sooner.

I've been training the past month (maybe a little longer) four days a week after the posted WOD and/or on a rest day, whatever felt best. All sprints/runs have been on grass, dirt and rocks in my Chucks or Nike Frees.

Two days a week I've been doing 20 second all out sprints around the pond near the apartment; there is a small hill around the far end of the pond I try to power up each round. Rest time is about 2 minutes of mixed jogging/walking/hip flexor stretching until I reach my start point again. 4-8 rounds depending on how I feel and how much time I have. These are tough after the first 4 attempts; I can't always reach the same end point in 20 seconds during the later rounds. My goal is to achieve the same end point in 20 seconds all rounds. I can stay strong for four rounds now; a month ago two all-out sprints about killed me.

Twice a week I've been running the long hill by the church and trying to jog down without breaking my neck 4-8 times. I can power up a hill fairly well, but the downhills are something else. I alternately jog/run the mile to the hill as a warmup and make a point of running as hard as possible back to the apartment. My fat little legs are like rubber, I'm wheezing hard and I'm probably not going very fast but it sure feels like it. The neighbors know I'm nuts.

Today I finally found time to drive the 40 minutes to the small bluff that I hope is fairly close in steepness (uphill and down) to parts of Grafton. I remember running the trail back in 2003 when I started Crossfit and it took me 10 minutes....I had to walk about half the route and slowly jogged the rest. Man, was I out of shape!! Today's 5 laps averaged 7 minutes each despite running with caution on the leaf covered path - lots of erosion breaks and gopher/squirrel holes hiding under the debris. I'm going to do an actual trail run once a week until Grafton. My feet are plenty sore several hours later....once a week will be plenty.

I did discover I really need to wear something that wicks - my cotton t-shirt and sweats were soaked. It was 68 degrees today (very unusual for Wisconsin in November!), but if it had been the normal freezing temperature I would have been miserable. Not only do I have to learn to run, but I have to learn how to dress myself properly too.

That's about it. I'll be posting my training runs to this log until Grafton kicks my butt.
Old 11-09-2006, 05:42 PM   #2
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:
Cool, can't wait to see what you have in store.
Old 11-09-2006, 07:42 PM   #3
Kelly Moore

Profile:
4 20 second sprints at the pond....I'm feeling a little fatigued from the today's squats and yesterday's trail run. My feet are sore too. Wore Chucks today.
Old 11-10-2006, 05:08 AM   #4
John Daniel

Profile:
I guess I should start doing something other than CF to prepare! I have a huge hill by my house, I will try some repeats on it tomorrow.

I did make my most recent pair of Nike Frees the trail running version - very nice!
Old 11-10-2006, 07:59 AM   #5
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Hey Kelly,
What model of the Nike Frees did you get?
Old 11-14-2006, 09:46 AM   #6
Kelly Moore

Profile:
Lynne,

Until you asked, I didn't know there were different models of the Nike F....I have the regular street version.

6 20 second all out sprints at the muddy pond track this morning. First four felt pretty free and fast, tightened up a LOT on the last two.
Old 11-14-2006, 09:57 AM   #7
Tim Clavette

Profile:
Hey Kelly-

Have you ever tried the sledding hill over at Elver Park?
Old 11-14-2006, 10:43 AM   #8
Kelly Moore

Profile:
Hi Tim! Good to hear from you....the Elver Park sledding hill is an awesome idea. Thanks, I'll go torture myself over there tomorrow or Thursday morning before work.
Old 11-15-2006, 08:30 AM   #9
Kelly Moore

Profile:
Well, today's WOD was a 5k run. No Elver Park for me (whew!). 24:32 run on mud, slippery leaves and deeply rutted terrain. The run was easy; I was in no distress. I could have held a conversation the entire time....no doubt I would have been complaining nonstop that I couldn't see. I may need to purchase a pair of goggles to run in as my eyes were tearing constantly. It's almost impossible to see through dried white tear stains.

I need to thank Catherine Imes for lending me her "wicking" undershirt. What a difference that makes! My usual attire of a cotton t-shirt, sweatshirt and sweatpants had me soaking wet and cold in the past - this shirt kept me dry and warm and it was really nice.....OMG, I might even consider getting a pair of those ugly running tights. If anyone laughs at me I'll kick their a$$!
Old 11-15-2006, 09:18 AM   #10
Catherine Imes

Profile:
Nice Running Kelly. Glad the undershirt worked for you. Feel free to use it for the Graffton run.