CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-15-2011, 05:26 PM   #11
Matt Haxmeier

Profile:
Re: If any ladies can answer .. guys welcomed too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari Hamilton View Post
6:30 am - bowl of oatmeal w/unsweetened vanilla almond milk, 1 tbls flaxseeds, 1 tbls sliced raw almonds, cinnamon and 1/2 banana
9-9:30 am - pear
12pm - a chicken breast, with a bowl of veggie soup (used organic low sodium broth)
2-2:30 pm -a cucumber w/a little lime and a little sea salt

I try to snack on a fruit typically around 4:45 because I go to CF @5:30 and I'm hungry but can't eat too much before working out

7pm - after CF I have a Organic Hemp protein shake w/unsweetened vallina almond milk and the other half of the banana.
Where are your meals? These all look like snacks to me. I'd log your food for a week to see how many calories you're eating and in what ratios, then adjust accordingly. But to me that doesn't look like enough depending on your activity level. Almost everything on this list is less than 100 calories individually stuff like cucumber with lime and veggie soup don't really even count for anything. And a tbls of almonds is what's left in my mouth after I chew and swallow the rest, lol. And you are eating almost no fat.

A base calorie calculator puts you around 2k calories per day to maintain. I'd shoot for eating that and see what happens to your weight over the course of a week or two.

Last edited by Matt Haxmeier : 09-15-2011 at 05:33 PM.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:28 PM   #12
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
I started CF mid July going 5x a week. I have not lost any weight, well just the first couple weeks lost about 5lb and now I'm back to my original weight. I'm 5'3 133.5lb (as of today) BF 23% 31 yrs old. I notice more muscle in arms and legs (and I have gotten stronger) but nothing around my waist and this is where I need to lose the most. My clothes fit the same. My diet is pretty good. I cheat with wine a few times a week. I'm not following Paleo. Here's a sample of what I ate and will eat today.

I sleep 6-7 hours

6:30 am - bowl of oatmeal w/unsweetened vanilla almond milk, 1 tbls flaxseeds, 1 tbls sliced raw almonds, cinnamon and 1/2 banana

9-9:30 am - pear

12pm - a chicken breast, with a bowl of veggie soup (used organic low sodium broth)

2-2:30 pm -a cucumber w/a little lime and a little sea salt

I try to snack on a fruit typically around 4:45 because I go to CF @5:30 and I'm hungry but can't eat too much before working out

7pm - after CF I have a Organic Hemp protein shake w/unsweetened vallina almond milk and the other half of the banana.

Am I not eating enough or eating too much fruit???

I'm fine with not losing weight if I build more muscle but my belly is not leaning out ... any help/advice is greatly appreciated.... Oh and I'm a girl ... some boys are named Ari too. thx!
Go to Fitday.com and get a calorie count for your intake. My guess is you are under eating and have slowed your metabolism substantially. How long habe you been eating like you listed?

Like the other fellow said you probably added some muscle as well.
Old 09-16-2011, 04:59 AM   #13
Ari Hamilton

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
Go to Fitday.com and get a calorie count for your intake. My guess is you are under eating and have slowed your metabolism substantially. How long habe you been eating like you listed?

Like the other fellow said you probably added some muscle as well.
I've been eating like this for about 5 weeks. From reading a lot of info here i thought I might not eating enough food. I will eat a more protein and healthy fats and see what happens. Thanks everyone for your input.
Old 09-24-2011, 04:56 AM   #14
Whitney Boyd

Profile:

Ari~

I was having THE SAME problem too. After months I wasn't losing any!!! And then, I finally gave into my Coaches. Now I'm eating a High Fat/High Protein Diet, and I get my Carb's MAINLY from Vegetables. CUT OUT THE FRUIT.....I know it sounds crazy, and cutting out that quick, and delicious energy booster sucks However, Eating Carb's and Sugar cause belly fat, not eating fat itself.

And Banana's have the highest carb count of most fruit...not good! The only time you should be eating a banana is if you're about to run a marathon. Nooooooo mooooooore fruuuuuuuit.

If you are ABSOLUTELY dieing for energy BEFORE a workout...okay, maybe an apple. But limit yourself to only when it's pre-WOD. Then hopefully you'll burn those carb's/sugars up while WOD-ing.

Oh, and P.S. I went to the Doctor YESTERDAY....and after recording my height (5'8") and then weighing me the nurse looked baffled. She said, "Okay, just a few months ago you were 180+....and now you're 165?"

#Winning =)
Old 09-24-2011, 10:49 AM   #15
Brian Michaelson

Profile:

Maybe bump the number of met-cons a week to 3-4. 5x a week and you have only been doing it since July seems like a lot of stress on the body. I still have trouble with 5x a week and I have only been at it for almost a year and a half. Just a suggestion.
Old 09-24-2011, 12:01 PM   #16
Jared Ashley

Profile:

Quote:
I'm fine with not losing weight if I build more muscle but my belly is not leaning out ... any help/advice is greatly appreciated.... Oh and I'm a girl ... some boys are named Ari too. thx!
then don't worry about it.

You say you have visibly gained muscle, but your weight has remained the same. Since the new muscle weighs something, math dictates you lost something somewhere else... it's fat. You've lost fat. You will continue to lose fat.

Now, you might not have lost much BELLY fat, but you don't get to pick and choose where you lose it, that part is genetic. I can sympathize, as it seems 100% of my body's fat is located within 6 inches of my belly button. I'm a guy... 145 lbs and 5'7". Pretty strong and muscular... when I wear a tank top I get jokes about the "gun show" and can squat more than most guys 50 lbs heavier. Metcon is pretty good too. It sounds ridiculous, but I still have a belly, and like you I don't like that. I've been lighter... when I was 135 I had less muscle but the same belly. In fact, when I was 125 I had even less muscle but the same damn belly. And I'm working at an advantage over you because I don't have a uterus squished in there.

For people like you and I, the only way to get the flat belly that we'd like is to literally starve ourselves, and end up looking like a holocaust victim. It's not worth it. Just keep working hard and gaining muscle... I promise that if a girl has a little belly like I do but is lean and muscular everywhere else, she's VERY attractive.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:22 AM   #17
Ari Hamilton

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitney Boyd View Post
Ari~

I was having THE SAME problem too. After months I wasn't losing any!!! And then, I finally gave into my Coaches. Now I'm eating a High Fat/High Protein Diet, and I get my Carb's MAINLY from Vegetables. CUT OUT THE FRUIT.....I know it sounds crazy, and cutting out that quick, and delicious energy booster sucks However, Eating Carb's and Sugar cause belly fat, not eating fat itself.

And Banana's have the highest carb count of most fruit...not good! The only time you should be eating a banana is if you're about to run a marathon. Nooooooo mooooooore fruuuuuuuit.

If you are ABSOLUTELY dieing for energy BEFORE a workout...okay, maybe an apple. But limit yourself to only when it's pre-WOD. Then hopefully you'll burn those carb's/sugars up while WOD-ing.

Oh, and P.S. I went to the Doctor YESTERDAY....and after recording my height (5'8") and then weighing me the nurse looked baffled. She said, "Okay, just a few months ago you were 180+....and now you're 165?"

#Winning =)

To Whitney ... What does a typical day look like for you food wise? Please share ... thanks ... I love fruit and it's the easiest thing to have.
Old 09-27-2011, 03:31 PM   #18
Jamie Gowens

Profile:

Food. You need more of it.
I stay away from telling anyone to avoid fruit. Carbs are NOT the devil.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:01 PM   #19
Kevin J. Fleming

Profile:

I suggest adding a dinner after the PWO shake and an hour of sleep. Try to increase your walking--shoot for five miles per day.

I hope you are not working out five days straight.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:11 PM   #20
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
I've been eating like this for about 5 weeks. From reading a lot of info here i thought I might not eating enough food. I will eat a more protein and healthy fats and see what happens. Thanks everyone for your input.
I missed this the first time around. Unless you were pretty athletic pre-Crossfit, you are building muscle like crazy. Eat more. Probably a lot more. Especially protein and fat.

Katherine