CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-19-2011, 01:20 PM   #11
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:
Re: Help leaning out

sounds like the quality of your diet is good and your workouts are solid. it should be as simple as cutting out some of the fat. try decreasing the fat by 25%. if that doesn't work, decrease by another 25%... not that 25% is a magic number, just an example, but you get the point. you may also try adding in 2 or 3 days a week of a longer, steady duration aerobic workout (cardio), like jogging or walking. perhaps add in before or after some of the shorter WOD and replace one of the sled days with the a fast walk wearing a heavy pack or weight vest.

also, be patient. despite the promises on TV of "getting ripped in 30 days", the reality for most is slow steady progress. if you are 200 and 15% (ironically the same as me), then you have 30lbs of fat. if you keep the same 170lbs lean mass, in order to get to 10% you would need to weigh 188, so that is 12lbs of pure fat loss. that could take anywhere from 6 to 12 weeks, or more! so shoot for 3 months and try for a pound a week. that will seem like slow progress, but if you start dropping 10 pounds in a week you can be sure it's not fat.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:32 AM   #12
Corey Wright

Profile:
Re: Help leaning out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew N. Casey View Post
sounds like the quality of your diet is good and your workouts are solid. it should be as simple as cutting out some of the fat. try decreasing the fat by 25%. if that doesn't work, decrease by another 25%... not that 25% is a magic number, just an example, but you get the point. you may also try adding in 2 or 3 days a week of a longer, steady duration aerobic workout (cardio), like jogging or walking. perhaps add in before or after some of the shorter WOD and replace one of the sled days with the a fast walk wearing a heavy pack or weight vest.

also, be patient. despite the promises on TV of "getting ripped in 30 days", the reality for most is slow steady progress. if you are 200 and 15% (ironically the same as me), then you have 30lbs of fat. if you keep the same 170lbs lean mass, in order to get to 10% you would need to weigh 188, so that is 12lbs of pure fat loss. that could take anywhere from 6 to 12 weeks, or more! so shoot for 3 months and try for a pound a week. that will seem like slow progress, but if you start dropping 10 pounds in a week you can be sure it's not fat.
Thanks Andrew, I will try cutting fat. I had cut carbs in the past and that did not do so well when I went really low.