CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 10-21-2010, 12:10 PM   #1
Jason Sutfin

Profile:
Need help with a CrossFit style 5K

I'm "running" in a 5k fundraising event next month and want to do it CrossFit style.

Here's what I'm thinking: We have a 10 member team and carry with us all the equipment we need. We may end up with more or less than 10 members and will adjust the distance and number of pit stops accordingly.

With 10 members, we'd stop every 500m and do an exercise...25 box jumps, 15 push press, 15 thrusters, 10 burpees, 25 air squats, 10 power cleans, 15 kb swings, etc. Each team member would do a different exercise each time we stop. For example I may do 25 box jumps during the first pit stop, then do 15 push presses at the second pit stop, then 15 thrusters on the third, etc. Each pit stop, every exercise is being done, but by different members of the team.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Ideas/quantities for the exercises? Keep in mind we need to be able to carry the equipment with us.
Old 10-21-2010, 12:15 PM   #2
Todd Crawford

Profile:
Re: Need help with a CrossFit style 5K

I would cut out the box jumps or anything that required equipment. There are plenty of body weight stuff out there, no reason you should have to carry equipment.
Old 10-21-2010, 01:39 PM   #3
Mark Martinez

Profile:

Body exercises should work. Every mile do 1000 reps total for whole group of one exercise.

.5 miles: push-ups
1.5 miles: unanchored straight-leg sit-ups (hands must touch toes)
2.5 miles: burpees
Run to finish

or

try

last-person up for first half-mile (Indian run)
lunge next half mile with last person sprinting to front
last-man up for next half-mile
burpee broad-jump next half-mile with last person sprinting to front
regular last-man up for last half-mile
Old 10-21-2010, 02:51 PM   #4
J. Thomas Boss

Profile:

Since a 5K run pops up pretty often as a main site WOD, isn't it already a "CrossFit style 5K"? I kind of think that the "last runner up" idea is pretty good, since you'll be moving through the three energy pathways throughout the run.
Old 10-21-2010, 03:04 PM   #5
Jason Wallis

Profile:

Check out www.crossfit-springfield.com. They're putting on a "5k gone bad" in November with the same format you are talking about. I'll be there!
Old 10-22-2010, 05:35 AM   #6
Charles Applin

Profile:

Hmm, seems interesting. Some members of the team should carry (or share) about 20 to 35 pounds each. Definitely requires coordination and teamwork to get it all down.

Let's say the equipment carried is: 45# bar x2, #25 weight x2, 1pood KB, 20" Plyo Box, Jump Rope. So that's 95# cleans, 45# thrusters, KB swings, Box Jump, Double Unders from just that. Add on body weight exercises if need be.

Members can use other items like bags and straps to help transport these, however the weight must not be supported by the ground (ie no sleds or wheelbarrows). Sharing the load is fine though

With two or three judges to run with each team, should be fairly easy to keep standards within reason. One change I'd recommend given the nature of this event (almost simulating a heavy weaponry squad), don't require each member do all ten exercises. So long as all exercises has been performed at each of the 10 stations, the nature of the event would demand that athletes switch off.

Another change I recommend: Let there be only 5 exercises. This gives tactical options on who carries the equipment for 500 meters and who does the routines. It also makes it easier to judge the event with less judges.