CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 03-22-2010, 10:46 AM   #1
Mark Sun

Profile:
Website Help! Newbie Affiliate Here

Hey CrossFit Family!

My affiliation was recently accepted. I have been building my gym the last month. Everything is so close to being finished, but the website. I have no knowledge about websites, website design, etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Some general questions:

Do most affiliates create their own websites or hire designers?
How much should an affiliate spend on their website initially and annually?
What is the most important things to have on the website that has worked for you?

Basically any info regarding websites

Thanks!
Old 03-22-2010, 03:46 PM   #2
Matthew Wade

Profile:
Re: Website Help! Newbie Affiliate Here

Mark,
Congratulations on the Affiliate. We just received word that we are now an active affiliate ourselves.
For our website I used Squarespace. I have no experience with any other sites but can say I am very pleased with Squarespace. It was easy to learn and has everything we need right now. They host the site on their own server and it runs us $14 a month for the package we have. You can see our site here (WFS) www.silverstatecrossfit.com
As far as other advice I will have to get back to you. We are starting small and have a small group of people we have been training for the past year that will be starting in our new box with us. We are super excited...

Good luck
Matt Wade
Silver State CrossFit
Old 03-22-2010, 05:47 PM   #3
Leonid Soubbotine

Profile:

Squarespace is phenomenal. Numerous affiliates use it & it's probably the simplest way to run a website out there due to their software (you don't need to install it).

Love it!
Old 03-23-2010, 05:28 AM   #4
Sam Ser

Profile:

a lot of affiliates use free blogs to get started. later, some add on for-pay extras, some pay for totally revamped sites and some decide to stick with their free platforms for a long time.

the benefit of the free blog is, well, that it's free. also, you get to experiment with different ideas and looks and tools without it costing you anything.

the caveat is that you'll spend a lot of hours tinkering.

in any case, at the top of the "running a crossfit facility" subsection of the forum there are, i think, three stickied threads on using various blogging platforms. also, if you search, you will find several threads about comparisons between these platforms and others. they have information about what people like and dislike about their platforms, as well as tips for how to get the most out of them. there's a lot of really good information in there.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:16 AM   #5
Mark Sun

Profile:

Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm going to start researching both now.

Congrats and Good Luck Matthew!
Old 03-25-2010, 11:37 AM   #6
Jason Jameson

Profile:

For those looking for phenomenal web and graphic design work with exceptional service, I highly encourage you to check out Jason Greenwoods work at http://www.forgingelitewebsites.com/ (wfs).

For those who like to tinker, have no fear, you can still enjoy hours and hours of tinkering and customizing long after you are set up, if you choose!

Last edited by Jason Jameson : 03-25-2010 at 11:40 AM.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:46 AM   #7
Michael Haning

Profile:

You can hire freelance designers on elance.com for about $300 for a really nice custom site.

However, I agree with everyone else, squarespace is awesome. I use it for another one of my businesses and I've been real pleased with it.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:11 AM   #8
Mark Sun

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Jameson View Post
For those looking for phenomenal web and graphic design work with exceptional service, I highly encourage you to check out Jason Greenwoods work at http://www.forgingelitewebsites.com/ (wfs).

For those who like to tinker, have no fear, you can still enjoy hours and hours of tinkering and customizing long after you are set up, if you choose!
I just emailed them to get a quote and some help.

Wordpress and Squarespace is still so complicating to me. I know now that I have zero website skills.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:49 AM   #9
Chris Stroud

Profile:

I recommend wordpress. I was very new to website design about 1 years ago and since then I built the following sites.

www.chrisstroud.net
www.oneworldbootcamp.com
www.oneworldbootcamp.com/blog
*all wfs

The reason I prefer wordpress is because it has an enormous online community that can help. Pretty much every question I needed answered came from forums and tutorials. You can start out with a basic one and once you have the extra cash hire someone and for under 500 you can get a very professional site.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:16 AM   #10
Kris Murphy

Profile:

Wordpress is very easy to use. I recommend at least learning how to do the back office stuff so you're not stuck relying on someone else to do your daily blog updates.

Chris, the bootcamp site looks great! BTW, you have "Guidelines" misspelled on the front page.