CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-04-2009, 09:37 AM   #51
Melissa Urban

Profile:
Re: No Grains/No Sugars Support Group!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Mathwig View Post
What I am trying to change about myself right now is thinking, "I am never going to have ice cream again because it throws off my nutrition." Feelings of deprivation get high when I do this.
I agree, Amber. If I think in absolutes, or too long-term, it gets overwhelming (and I'd be more likely to throw in the towel right then and there).

There's a difference between "I would like to eat some ice cream" and "I'm bored and craving something so I guess I'll eat some ice cream". And you know the difference... so the key is finding something to get you past those "I'm bored/I'm tired/I'm upset..." moments. Here is a trick I use pretty often - I tell myself, "I just won't have any today, but I can have some tomorrow". Thinking that I only have to hang tough for one day makes it easier to put it off, and chances are by tomorrow, I won't feel the need to give in to the craving any more.

I do this with lots of things - like days when I feel like getting lazy with my workout. I tell myself, "I'll hit it 100% hard today, but tomorrow I can throw in an easy day." And then I go all out, and feel better for it, and the next day I'm right back on track.

Keep up the good work, everyone.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:17 AM   #52
Bob Guere

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Gayton View Post
I drink a couple times a week, but generally set a limit at 2 beers or glasses of wine. Anything beyond that and I get a diminishing return on investment. I used to drink more often but a couple rounds of "Murph" w/ a hangover will learn you pretty quick!

In the past I've tried to go to extremes w/ this 30 day challenge. I make grand statements

"No coffee"
"No dairy"
"No beer"

It just become too much. Coffee is a simple pleasure I'm not ready to give up. Dairy has never bothered me and it's a relatively cheap source of fuel (especially when you are following a mostly paleo diet). And frankly, a Friday night wouldn't be quite the same w/o a ice cold beer.

I figure I'll start w/ the sugar and grains, then re-evaluate.
Well, at day #3, I can tell you we probably will put beer back in, but only on the weekend, and only a couple at a time. (that doesn't mean one in each hand)

I didn't give up coffee or dairy. I'm cutting back my dairy, really only getting cottage cheese and some cream in the coffee. Hardly ever drink milk anymore unless it's in a shake, and we haven't been having many of those lately either.

Sad news to report this morning though: I ran out of eggs, and it's breakfast time.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:55 PM   #53
Stavros Kalogirou

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Mathwig View Post
So here it is – the No Sugar/No Grains 2009 support group! Unless someone can come up with a catchier thread name…….introduce yourself, the extent to what you take your diet, the problems you face. Check in often to offer up or ask for support and ideas.
Hey everyone, I am not a fan of New Years Resolutions, but what the heck let's roll!

My plan to do 30 days of No Grains/No Alcohol. Just typing this pretty much sucks, and it's not the grains I'm already missing. I've continued to make some solid gains and PR's, but am looking to move forward in my nutrition. Anyways, thanks for putting this challenge together and looking forward to where it takes us. BTW, if anyone is in the East SF Bay (Walnut Creek to be exact), come by and visit at Diablo Crossfit. I'm a trainer there and we just opened a new box, it's pretty much amazing.

Last edited by Stavros Kalogirou : 01-04-2009 at 02:08 PM.
Old 01-04-2009, 03:01 PM   #54
Amber Mathwig

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa Byers View Post
I agree, Amber. If I think in absolutes, or too long-term, it gets overwhelming (and I'd be more likely to throw in the towel right then and there).

There's a difference between "I would like to eat some ice cream" and "I'm bored and craving something so I guess I'll eat some ice cream". And you know the difference... so the key is finding something to get you past those "I'm bored/I'm tired/I'm upset..." moments. Here is a trick I use pretty often - I tell myself, "I just won't have any today, but I can have some tomorrow". Thinking that I only have to hang tough for one day makes it easier to put it off, and chances are by tomorrow, I won't feel the need to give in to the craving any more.

I do this with lots of things - like days when I feel like getting lazy with my workout. I tell myself, "I'll hit it 100% hard today, but tomorrow I can throw in an easy day." And then I go all out, and feel better for it, and the next day I'm right back on track.

Keep up the good work, everyone.
Thanks, Melissa....someone understands.

It is almost time for my day to end, and I have had a significant amount less of sugars/grains today than in the last month. 2 dove chocolates, an Odwalla bar and the teeniest piece of cheesecake that I split with co-worker. I ate the Odwalla bar because I was so excited to see them at the coffee shop, I bought several, but then remembered that I actually prefer the nut based bars to the regular oats based bars...so I gave most of them to my co-worker. Ate a lot of nuts today to keep from going on a candy hunt. Passed up the reeses pb cups while in line at the exchange. Of course it helped that Sunday is ribs day and the ribs are awesome! No room for chocolate when tasty meat is available.

p.s. Said co-worker is sometimes called "walking, talking Oxygen magazine" and she's awesome for it, but now I have to bring her over to the "yellow-side" of egg eating....as she was shocked to see me eating the yolks today!
Old 01-04-2009, 03:15 PM   #55
Jennifer Woods

Profile:

Quote:
I literally had to sit on my hands at one point today just to stay out of the kitchen. Not because I was hungry, just bored.
I did do a lot of cooking today to prep for the week. I am sticking to my guns on this one. No cheating.
Thanks for all the great advice and support Melissa!!
Old 01-04-2009, 03:17 PM   #56
Shawn Hansen

Profile:
Thumbs up Re: No Grains/No Sugars Support Group!!

Aloha

Great thread! Seems a lot of people are trying to get back on track after the holidays.

I just finished writing up a contract for my workout partner and I. Its simply something to hold us accountable to each other. Very simple contract stating that for a period of 4 weeks we will eat Paleo foods only. It includes general guidelines so he will know what to eat, ive already read the book myself. I also just got The Paleo Diet for Athletes for christmas so im gonna start reading that soon too.

Here's to looking and feeling good for 2009......
Old 01-04-2009, 03:53 PM   #57
John Penner

Profile:

Shawn, can you copy me on those guidlines?

sounds good everyone, 0 sugar yesterday & today so far.
0 sugar
0 grains

thats my current goal. 0 sugar. The grains will be very minimal, Only with family dinners. (maybe 2-3 week otherwise 0 grain dinners)

0 grains while alone or making my own meals.

snacking on nuts & raw peanut butter today, but counting blocks so I dont put down 40-50 blocks of fat. I think I will go about 1-1/2x fat blocks daily.
I'm dialing in what I think will work for long term. 0 sugar, min. grains & stop eating kids snacks, & keep an eye on fat.

maybe taking it all on at once is too much???? but I do know that when you quit ALL sugar, grains & artificial sweeteners the cravings will go away much faster. but this month will be 0 sugar.(notice how I keep typing that LOL)

0 sugar

I will ramble on more later & try to gather & organize my thoughts. But for now 0 sugar, min. grains, 0 junk
Old 01-04-2009, 04:26 PM   #58
Lindy Hruska

Profile:

Quote:

There's a difference between "I would like to eat some ice cream" and "I'm bored and craving something so I guess I'll eat some ice cream". And you know the difference...
Melissa, it is SOOO true!! Mine fell under the I WOULD LIKE TO EAT category today. It's day 4, and I've been doing really well...until this afternoon. Graeter's peanut butter chocolate chunk ice cream and I have a little love affair, and I just couldn't quit him cold turkey. I'm confessing to stay honest on the board, but I really don't regret it. I've also had cream in my coffee. Other than that, staying pretty true to paleo. This is going to be a challenging transition for me, but anything in life worth having takes a little sacrifice, right?

keep up the good work, everyone!
Old 01-04-2009, 07:44 PM   #59
Samantha Aurelio

Profile:

This has been an off weekend I must say. Tonight my trainer, my friend and myself went out to eat got some fried fish and nachos. Then I came home and had some dark chocolate with almond butter on it. All I can say... is I'm starting Paleo/Zone again tomorrow. It's the only time I ever feel like I'm doing something right with my diet....

NO GRAINS/NO SUGAR! GO!
Old 01-04-2009, 09:20 PM   #60
Alix Clark

Profile:

Great thread Amber. Yep, am back into no grains and cutting way back on the sugar (i have a tsp in my peppermint tea). No absolutes for me though. If I'm invited to a friends house for dinner and they've cooked pasta, I'll eat it - but don't need to take seconds or have the bread. What I eat is my business, not their problem. Here's to a healthy 2009!