CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 07-29-2008, 12:27 AM   #1
John Maloney

Profile:
Gaping hole

It's puzzling to me how my run times have not significantly improved in the last year (I've been CF'ing almost 2 years). Last year I ran the (APFT) 2 mile in 18:13. Yesterday I ran a 17:34. I really expected better (mid-16, nothing miraculous). Wind was blowing pretty hard & I had to get up at 3:30am to do it, so it could've been an "off" day, but my last (3) 5k times are all b/w 28:15 & 29:00. Really slow by any standard. Of course, this is a "sample-of-one" (statistically meaningless) but I'm thinking that the idea of improving aerobic capacity (running) through anaerobic training to be overstated. On a positive note, I nearly maxed the pushups (98 pts) & situps (94 pts).

FTR, my improvements in the named workouts have been steady and impressive since I started, going from really overweight, zero stamina, and 'could not complete any mainpage workout' to getting some fairly respectable times recently: 3:40 Grace, 5:35 Fran, 405 DL.

I'd LOVE to be able to run a 6 min mile or a 5k in the low 20's, but I think I'm just going to have to suck it up & do something I really dislike in order to get there - run more. LOL.

Just when I was starting to feel like I was getting really fit, I realize I've still got this gaping hole in my game. Anyone else experience this?
Old 07-29-2008, 06:57 AM   #2
Jennie Yundt

Profile:
Re: Gaping hole

Hi John....

Yes, running is my "crossfit Kryptonite" too. I know that I'm improving, just not as much as I'd like. I worked out with one of my classes last night, and they all smoked me on the runs. I can crank out situps and hip extensions like they're NOTHING, but each and every 800 meter run set me further back from the group.

I'm planning to attend the CF running and endurance certification in September. Hopefully that will help both my coaching, and my own performance. Have you considered dropping into that cert?
Old 07-29-2008, 07:19 AM   #3
Brett Dartt

Profile:

i hate running...
maybe when im back down to 180 it will be easy again
Old 07-29-2008, 11:53 AM   #4
Tristan Warneke

Profile:

John-

Running can have all sorts of complications that lead to slow times. I would guess, given your times with other short to medium metcons that it isn't your conditioning I'd want to look at, instead it would be your form. Running, like any other exercise, can be done in ways that make it harder.

How fast can your run 100 meters? 400? 800?

The reason I ask is that in my experience, if someone can run those distances decently fast but can't sustain speed for 2 miles or 5k, then they need to work on their conditioning. If they can't run the shorter distance at respectable times, then they need to work on running technique.

Just my 2 cents.

-TripMN
Old 07-29-2008, 12:30 PM   #5
Scott Borre

Profile:

Try to run a mile as fast as you can. Even if you can't make it. Just set a hard pace and keep it up. I think you'll find that you are capable of running harder than you think. But technique is important too. A lot of people (including myself often enough) waste a lot of energy when running that could have been put to use going faster. For example, leg strength wise I get just about as tired of doing short slow running as I do when opening up my stride and going faster. Its harder on the oxygen but can be maintained despite uncomfortability... at least for a while.

Anyhow. I'm loving CrossFitEndurance so far, and if you want to improve your running I think you should start incorporating it.
Old 07-29-2008, 12:58 PM   #6
Polo Lopez

Profile:

John-
Even though you may not have had a massive improvement in your run times, you did have improvement. If you're doing the daily WOD and not some additional running, it seems that the WOD is working as it should. You scored high on the rest of your test. As you stated, you started CrossFit overweight but now you gaining "True Fitness."
I agree with everyone about CrossFit endurance and the working on technique. The POSE has helped me enjoy running again. I don't do any additional running and follow the WOD as Rx'd, and scaled at times. My times are dropping to what they were like when I was in my 20's. Brain Mackenzie has a great program and is an awesome coach. I highly recommend following his coaching along with CrossFit.
Good luck
Old 07-30-2008, 07:13 AM   #7
Randy Kite

Profile:

John,

By all means check out POSE! I have maxed my push ups and situps for the last two years, but have failed to achieved my goal of a big fat 300 due to the run.

We now run several days a week with a focus on form. Other days over the month we work on sprint drills, LSDs, and hill runs.

All of this is worked in with either the mainpage WOD or our own WOD.

I have another APFT coming up shortly and I'm aiming for that 300.
Good times.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:03 AM   #8
John Maloney

Profile:

Thx for the replies,

I got the 20 min POSE block at a Cert last year, but would certainly like to attend another seminar after my deployment.

Here are my time trials
100m - 14 sec - 7/23/08
400m - 1:17 - 5/9/08
800m - 3:06 - 5/21/08
1 mi. - 8:04 - 8/07
2 mi - 17:34 - 7/28/08
5k - 28:15 - 5/12/08

My mile time is pretty old, but my split time on the 2miler was 8:20. I'll make sure to time trial the 1 miler by itself in the next week.

My legs were pretty dead (and still sore from Fran) going into that disappointing 2 mile run, so that is another factor to consider that may have contributed to a poor performance.

I'll look into the CFE options. Might take more time than I can dedicate if it calls for more time than I currently workout. In that case would you recommend dedicated Interval days, or just tacking on a 1 or 2 mile run after WODs?

TIA
Old 07-30-2008, 04:13 PM   #9
Scott Borre

Profile:

Well the mile was a year ago... I was going to say that with your 1/4 mile time your mile should be faster till I realized how far apart they were. My guess is that you could do a 7:45 full out mile right now. Which isn't slow. Its not competitive but it isn't slow.

Good things come to those who are patient, work hard, and work smart
Old 08-01-2008, 11:23 PM   #10
John Maloney

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Borre View Post
Well the mile was a year ago... I was going to say that with your 1/4 mile time your mile should be faster till I realized how far apart they were. My guess is that you could do a 7:45 full out mile right now. Which isn't slow. Its not competitive but it isn't slow.

Good things come to those who are patient, work hard, and work smart
1 mile: 7:37 (PR) - 8/1/08

Scott, I was guessing (hoping) 7:30. Looks like we split the difference.

Polo, the fact that you're approaching the times you used to run in your 20's is impressive. Are you in your 30's, 40's, or 50's? That'd be amazing for me. I ran a 13:05 2-mile at 21 yrs old/170 lbs. I'm 40 now w/ 30# more muscle.