CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 12-20-2007, 07:22 AM   #101
Michael Cooley

Profile:
Re: The argument over the merit of CF on bodybuilding.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Maffett View Post
Aww, but it's the debate that never grows old!
While we're on the subject, is it cheating to do power snatches and power cleans on Isabel and Grace? :stir::stir::stir:

mpc
Old 12-20-2007, 11:01 AM   #102
Roger Harrell

Profile:

Actually the child swinging is partially applicable partially not. There are two factors in "pumping" a swing. Neither of which involve kicking momentum in the direction of the swing. There is the shifting of mass off the centerline of the chain/rope and shifting mass inward and outward relative to the point of rotation (the anchor point of the swing set). Most people actually "pump" somewhat inefficiently because they don't understand the reasons what they are doing works. The typical swing pump can be modified a bit to have a much better impact.
Old 12-20-2007, 12:19 PM   #103
Andy Shirley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Cooley View Post
While we're on the subject, is it cheating to do power snatches and power cleans on Isabel and Grace? :stir::stir::stir:

mpc
No. This has been clarified many times.
Old 12-21-2007, 12:35 PM   #104
Michael Cooley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Shirley View Post
No. This has been clarified many times.
Um. Kidding. (note the multiple "stirring the pot" icons).

Note to self: No more subtle humor.

mpc
Old 12-21-2007, 12:59 PM   #105
Gant Grimes

Profile:

I thought it was pretty funny myself. And clear.
Old 12-24-2007, 08:52 PM   #106
Tim Morrison

Profile:

Don't believe this, sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Christopher Hutchins View Post
I believe you should do what individually is good for you. If you plan on getting up on stage and showing of the latest cut in your calf then bodybuilding is definitely what you need. Bodybuilding is a sport lets not forget. These guys are extremely dedicated and workout twice a day for hours. In any sport you should do sport specific training. I don't make fun of any one in the gym who's arms are constantly bent and who can bench a car. It's no different than watching someone on the basketball court hit 20 shots in a row and go through drills. You can't really look at Ronnie Coleman without some sense of awe. The CF wod's won't give BBs what they need as far as their sport. So what they do is necessary. I prefer to think of CF as a life style or philosophy. You use what works and throw out the rest. Thats what we do in real life if we want to be succesfull. Spending 6 hours a day in a gym doesn't work for ME and a lot of people. On top of that bodybuilding doesn't have real world application. At least not at a high level. Doing something is better than nothing. Sprinters, basketball players, baseball players, athletes in general don't look like body builders because BB doesn't work in the broad spectrum of life activities. You can't really compare CF to body building like you couldn't compare a boxer to a MMA. Sure the boxer would wipe the floor with the MMA'er en the ring and vice versa in the octagon or what have you. But the MMA would excell in any street fight in any location. Everyone should do what is best for them and excel at their sport. CF is not a sport. From what i have seen it is a devotion to and a pursuit of what is truly fit. Lets just end it all with a nice but true story......

There was a body builder who came in my gymnastic gym one day. Somehow an argument was started about who was stronger gymnasts or BBers. It was decided to settle it with a strength challenge no less. But it wasn't pullups or dips. It was a pushing contest. This huge BBer who was about 240 was about to go toe to toe with ..........a 60 pound little girl. They had to set themselves one foot from each other and push. The BBer was told not to go easy on the girl and to really push her. He did and she went back a little but did not fall down or lose her footing. She pushed him however and he fell right over. This happened 3 times in a row but the BBer could not knock the little girl over. She even apologized to him for being rough on him. Now whats the moral of this story kids?
Old 12-25-2007, 06:57 AM   #107
Veronica Davis

Profile:

As someone who is in both the crossfit and bodybuiling world, I think there are misconceptions on both side of the fence.

I've read some of the post regarding bb'rs spending hours in the gym and only lifting. It is important to separate the "darkside" (aka steriods) from Drug-free bb'ing. The darkside is unforetunately the mainstream and to the general public they represent all of us. However, there is a drug-free contingent that don't fit the stereotypes. We don't spend hours in the gym. There are people in the bb'ing world that do plyometrics, sprints, and other things not dubbed "traditional" bb'ing. Also, Drug-Free bodybuilders DO NOT look like Ronnie Coleman (darkside). Most drug-free bodybuilders look like regular "fit" guys in street clothes.

On the other side, I have bb'ing friends that do not understand the principles of crossfit. They think crossfit is just the metacon workouts. I try to explain crossfit includes olympic lifts and heavy weights. Contrary to what has been said, I think bb'rs can benefit from crossfit. My boyfriend and I both incorporate crossfit into our bb'ing routines.

At the end of the day I think both sides have something they can learn from the other.