CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 08-31-2006, 11:29 PM   #1
Chip Moore

Profile:
Good morning.

Not sure if I'm posting this in the right place or not, but I'm wondering what the difference is between a Crossfit Certification Seminar and a Crossfit Training Seminar. Obviously, one has a cert with it, but I'm wondering about number of class hours, what you learn, etc.

I'm trying to convince my PD to send me to a seminar and obviously the cheaper "Training Class" is an easier sell to the administration, but I'm wondering what I'll be missing out on with the certification class.

Anyone who has been to one or the other, any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Chip Moore
UMass PD (Amherst, MA)
Old 08-31-2006, 11:42 PM   #2
Carrie Klumpar

Profile:
CrossFit Certification Seminars

Two days and limited to about 30 participants, CrossFit Certification Seminars present the practical and theoretical foundations of fitness and proper movement. CrossFit is most succinctly defined as a program that incorporates a wide variety of functional movements performed at (relatively) high intensity. The main purpose of the seminar is to establish and teach CrossFit principles and standards of mechanics, range of motion, attention to detail, virtuosity, and intensity. Achieving these standards—and the ability to coach them—is a lifelong pursuit. A Level I certified trainer should understand these standards. A Level II certified trainer should be able to apply these standards to others in real terms. A Level III certified trainer should be able to help others apply the standards.

CrossFit Training Seminars

Each CrossFit Training Seminar is two-day summit bring together two to three dozen exceptional coaches from a wide range of specializations, who will be ready to provide coaching, demonstrate and critique movements and techniques, answer questions, and run workouts in their respective disciplines. This is an opportunity to get your questions answered by the experts, watch them train others, get new ideas, and generally hang out with the best CrossFit has to offer. You create your own curriculum by spending as much time as you like with each presenter.
Old 09-01-2006, 04:29 AM   #3
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Thanks for the new FAQ entry, Carrie. :wink:
Old 09-02-2006, 06:36 AM   #4
James R. Climer

Profile:
Carrie,

Are you familiar with the term, 'punctilious'?

-meticulous: marked by precise accordance with details; "meticulous research"; "punctilious in his attention to rules of etiquette"
wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

-strictly attentive to minute details of form in action or conduct; precise; scrupulous.
users.wpi.edu/~kgagne/vocab/vocab13.html

Excellent definition, I thought I knew what the differnce between the seminar and cert. was, now I can actually feel the difference.
Old 09-02-2006, 08:01 AM   #5

Profile:

freakin editors...
Old 09-02-2006, 09:56 PM   #6
Carrie Klumpar

Profile:
It looks like I'm not so meticulous after all. I thought I had posted the following message last night, but apparently I didn't follow through on the final step.

The descriptions are TonyB's. I just lifted the paragraphs directly and pasted them here.

Good idea, Lynne, about adding it to the FAQ.