CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 05-02-2005, 05:37 AM   #11
Donald Woodson

Profile:

Jeremy, have you considered running in high top Chuck Taylors? I had that problem a couple times when I ran in my fancy dancy New Balance or Adidas running shoes. Then someone told me about how his CT's alleviated the problem (after it healed up).
I bought a pair and haven't been back since. As a matter of fact, now I have two pair. One pair for lifting and hill running, the other for work and just kicking around in. My NB's and Adidas's just decorate my closet now.
Another thing I noticed about the CT's is the narrow heal and flat bottoms helps to keep me from rolling my ankles when running on uneven, rocky terrain. The newer style shoes all have wide bottoms and big spongy heels on them which seem to apply more side leverage to my ankles, making it a lot harder to keep from rolling them.
Now, if I could just get Converse to make me a pair out of waterproof Gortex and a lighter rubber compound. That would be the perfect running shoe IMO.
Hope ya get better soon. It's spring.
Old 05-07-2005, 07:07 PM   #12
Carl Herzog

Profile:
PF does, indeed, suck. It's probably ended more serious runners' careers than any other injury. Foam inserts don't help much- you really need a stiffer arch support. Custom inserts aren't necessarily better than off-the-shelf models such as those made by Spenco or Superfeet, though. Look for some type of stiff, molded plastic or composite construction.

In addition to the good advice already given, you might try some stretching of the calves. Many report it helps - check out the surveys at heelspurs.com, a truly useful resource for this problem.