CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 04-27-2015, 05:09 PM   #1
Michael Golden

Profile:
Rogue Fat/Skinny Bar versus Single 1.25" Bar

Ordering either an S-2 or Monster Lite SML-2 and debating between the Rogue Fat/Skinny versus Single 1.25" bar. After talking to Rogue, if you're not a taller athlete who would pretty much be limited to the skinny - the deciding factor is whether you want to work on grip strength by having the fat bar option, or having the ability to do bar muscle-ups with the single bar option. What do you guys think? What's the better capability to have?
Old 04-27-2015, 06:02 PM   #2
Marshall Flagg

Profile:
Re: Rogue Fat/Skinny Bar versus Single 1.25" Bar

I got the single skinny on my S2. Lots of other ways to work grip. If I were not impatient when I ordered, I would have gotten the raw (speal) bar instead of the regular finish.
Old 04-27-2015, 06:37 PM   #3
Clint Harris

Profile:

Skinny bar + Fat Gripz
Old 04-27-2015, 06:57 PM   #4
Michael Golden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Flagg View Post
I got the single skinny on my S2. Lots of other ways to work grip. If I were not impatient when I ordered, I would have gotten the raw (speal) bar instead of the regular finish.
Thanks. I didn't even see that option. Do you have to call to order?

I'm also going to sneak a bumper plate question in. I was initially going to go w/ the Rogue HGs, but I heard they're loud. I'll be working out in the garage in my duplex, so with the shared wall I want to be as courteous as possible. That would naturally lead to the Hi-Temps, however Again Faster has their own version called the Crumb Rubber plate which is a lot more affordable. Think these would be as quiet as the Hi-Temps?
Old 04-27-2015, 08:44 PM   #5
Marshall Flagg

Profile:

I just emailed me about the raw bar. Re: bumper plates...a lot depends on what you will be dropping them on. I used HGs for a long time they are loud and pretty dead blow. The heavier plates anyway.

I work out in my garage. I live on almost two acres, my neighbors know when I am lifting even with my new Eleiko Sport Training plates that are soft.
Old 04-28-2015, 08:20 AM   #6
Drew Cloutier

Profile:

Michael the other important question is how much are you lifting?

If I remember correctly you can only fit about 4 plates of HI-temps but I think no clips, whereas you can fit 405 with clips easily, ive loaded up 475 with HG/Pendlays, MORE if you get the 55s (which you cannot get in Hitemps)

also Hi-Temps BOUNCE like a MOFO, whereas HGs don't bounce much.
Old 04-28-2015, 08:20 PM   #7
Michael Golden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Cloutier View Post
Michael the other important question is how much are you lifting?

If I remember correctly you can only fit about 4 plates of HI-temps but I think no clips, whereas you can fit 405 with clips easily, ive loaded up 475 with HG/Pendlays, MORE if you get the 55s (which you cannot get in Hitemps)

also Hi-Temps BOUNCE like a MOFO, whereas HGs don't bounce much.
My main concern with the bumpers is sound, my bodyweight fluctuates between 118-125 lbs. If I'm ever in a situation where I need to fit more than even 300, let alone 405 I'd consider that a great problem to have haha. With that said, if the sound difference is minimal between say a Hi-Temp and a HG/Echo it might be smarter to go the HG route for price and to avoid bouncing a barbell into the wall. For hi-rep WODs I usually work with 95 or 135 depending on the lift and amount of reps.
Old 04-29-2015, 04:27 AM   #8
Drew Cloutier

Profile:

You mention the echos/HG...which makes me bring up something I haven't seen answered...WHAT is the difference between HG and Echo bumpers?

If you aren't worried about weight...then ya go by bounce preference, i've used Comp plates, Pendlay Econ V2, and Rogue Hi-temps...can honestly say hi-temps are my least favourite...on the other hand if you plan on ever using them outside...hi-temps is the way to go!
Old 04-29-2015, 06:52 PM   #9
Michael Golden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Cloutier View Post
You mention the echos/HG...which makes me bring up something I haven't seen answered...WHAT is the difference between HG and Echo bumpers?

If you aren't worried about weight...then ya go by bounce preference, i've used Comp plates, Pendlay Econ V2, and Rogue Hi-temps...can honestly say hi-temps are my least favourite...on the other hand if you plan on ever using them outside...hi-temps is the way to go!
I couldn't tell you any major differences between the HG and Echos; dimensions are slightly different, Echos are slightly less expensive, and they have color options for the 25 + plates. They're both imported. I think Hi-temps are going to be the win here, if I get any complaints I can always workout in my driveway when I plan on dropping the bar.