CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 09-30-2014, 08:02 AM   #11
Glenn Pasewicz

Profile:
Re: The L4/L5 bulging disc club

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Drohan View Post
Mentally, I'm fine with not ever deadlifting/squatting super-heavy (for me) again.
Personally, the ability to get out of bed in the morning ranks higher than pounds of deadlift.
Old 10-01-2014, 06:20 AM   #12
Glenn Plomchok

Profile:

Glenn above makes a great point. Feeling good every day is the key.

Also, on heavy lifts I would say "never say never" but be happy moving moderate loads efficiently and being "strong enough" without going over the top.

During the Open, I deadlifted 225 in that wod (all singles) and then walked away from it. Did not push. I avoided deadlifts in training until about 2-3 months ago. They came back very quick...kinda crazy but I am back at my old max of 400 with no issues. Working up into the 300's the bar moved so easily we slowly kept going. My Front squat and OHS are better than before. Back squat a little less but I don't ever test it to failure.

Anyway, hope it goes well and stay in touch.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:11 AM   #13
John Drohan

Profile:

After almost 6 weeks of not feeling good every day, I have no choice but to agree.

My shot is scheduled for next Tuesday, doc thought I was a prime candidate for relief (what else is he going to say?). Just looking forward to a simple air squat at the moment.

After I can get back into some lifting, the focus on form will be paramount.
Old 10-01-2014, 04:39 PM   #14
Alden Hingle

Profile:

John - If the injection does not work, you may have another option. Based on the way my disks bulge, my back doc (who specializes in minimally invasive surgery) also described an outpatient surgery he called "roto-rooter" where he trims a little bone on the vertebra to give the nerve more room. He also told me the technical name but I don't remember it.
Old 10-02-2014, 06:14 AM   #15
Glenn Pasewicz

Profile:

Quote:
After almost 6 weeks of not feeling good every day, I have no choice but to agree.
6 weeks? That's nuthin'.

Took me about a year to go to 0 pain on a 0 -10 scale.

Something like 90+ % of disc problems heal themselves with time.
Old 10-02-2014, 06:23 AM   #16
John Drohan

Profile:

What's funny is that my pain is really focused on my left hamstring, from top to bottom along what I imagine is my sciatic nerve. My lower back isn't bad at all. I'm pretty sure the nerve that's impacted by the bulge is also stretched and my hamstring is tightened in order to protect it. At least that's what I've read about these things.

In the morning when I get out of my car at the parking lot at work, I hobble like an old man as my tight hamstring spasms and shrieks at me. After about 20 minutes of walking, it's loose and I don't have any pain. Luckily I've been able to modify my desk at work to a standing desk.

But man, the constant standing is tough. I can sit for a few minutes, but I dread getting up again as the pain upon standing will jab down my leg from the gluteus to my knee via the hamstring.

I continue to stretch every day and modify WOD's to something I can actually do. I've been inventing my own and it's a challenge. But completing just something gives me the mental strength to suffer through another day of this.

Interestingly enough, the anesthesiologist told me that the body will treat a disc bulge as a foreign object and effectively dissolve it over time. He said it will shrivel like a grape to a raisin and eventually be absorbed. I thought discs actually moved back into place, but that's not what happens. Interesting. The process can take months, so hopefully by January 1st you'll see me post about doing a front squat or thruster with an empty barbell.
Old 10-03-2014, 11:07 AM   #17
Glenn Pasewicz

Profile:

Quote:
What's funny is that my pain is really focused on my left hamstring, from top to bottom along what I imagine is my sciatic nerve. My lower back isn't bad at all.

In the morning when I get out of my car at the parking lot at work, I hobble like an old man as my tight hamstring spasms and shrieks at me. After about 20 minutes of walking, it's loose and I don't have any pain.
Yep, that's it in a nutshell.
Old 10-09-2014, 07:18 PM   #18
Rob Poling Jr

Profile:

I've never heard of a disc dissolving itself. If it's a small herniation PT will go along way to move it back in as long as you keep up with exercises to keep your core strong. When it gets to a medium herniation a shot or series of shots can be done but is really not correcting the issue. When it becomes a large herniation surgery is needed. That usually is 6 weeks rest for a non active person, took me about 6 + months to get back to feeling close to normal. Always do your exercises in proper form because once you have a back injury you will be more susceptible to it happening again.
Old 02-05-2015, 06:42 AM   #19
John Drohan

Profile:
Re: The L5/S1 bulging disc club

Thought I'd give an update on this....

Had discectomy/laminectomy surgery on January 8th, and I'm now exactly 4 weeks post.

Before surgery, my rate of improvement could not really be measured as it was either so small or even zero. Impact to my life both physically and mentally was wearing me down and after four months, I'd had enough.

I was fortunate enough to get the best surgeon in my area. I was released from the hospital the next day and took a week and a half of from work. During that time, I did only moderate walking and spent much of the time resting/recuperating.

The two-week follow up appointment went well, the surgeon said I could do some light exercising, but still couldn't lift anything. He said I needed at least a month for the exposed disc to scar over.

I bought an airdyne and have been riding, doing strict pullups, pushups and air squats. My mobility post-surgery is miles above what it was pre and my pain down the sciatic nerve is probably 90+% gone and gets better each day.

I can sit down and stand up without the lighting striking down the nerve and have to say that I'm currently very pleased with how things are going. I will be erring on the safe side and continue to do only body weight exercises for the next month or so. Before I pick any weight/barbell up, I'll call my surgeon and get his recommendations.

Anyway, just wanted to let those in similar situations know that while scary, surgery was the best option for me.

My 2015 goals:

Complete Murph on Memorial Day
Be able to clean and jerk 135 by December
And of course, stay injury free.

JD