CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 06-30-2014, 03:48 AM   #1
Miah Medeiros

Profile:
Red face Lower Back Pain

I've had some ongoing issues with my lower back on and off for a while now. This weekend I was in a competition with a 5:00 running clock of max rep deadlifts at 135# (with a partner). While I was doing this I could feel my back start to tighten and my right leg going numb. Now I'm in a whole lot of pain, and stretching and rolling out doesn't seem to be helping.

The pain is in my lower back on the right side/ butt cheek, as well as all down my leg. Sitting, standing, bending over hurts. Yesterday while I help my leg out straight I could see vibrations in my skin along my right quad. Not sure if this is something the Chiropractor can fix, or if I just need to keep working out the knot with a lacrosse ball.

Any help would do. Thank you
Old 06-30-2014, 04:02 AM   #2
Zach Long

Profile:
Re: Lower Back Pain

a knot does not refer pain/numbness down the leg. using the lacross ball won't fix anything

go get help from a professional
Old 06-30-2014, 09:10 AM   #3
Matt A. Windsor

Profile:

^ What he said. I'm no doctor but I did have the exact same symptoms; and suffice to say it required professional medical intervention.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:55 PM   #4
Glenn Pasewicz

Profile:

I'm neither a doctor, nor a chiropractor, nor a physical therapist, nor a nurse, nor an exercise physiologist, nor a trainer, nor anything else that requires certification in an area of healthcare and/or exercise,

but that sure sounds like your sciatic nerve is trying to tell you something, and the sciatic nerve won't quiet down until you give it what it wants.

How many reps did you get?
Old 06-30-2014, 08:54 PM   #5
Chris Jones

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Pasewicz View Post
that sure sounds like your sciatic nerve is trying to tell you something, and the sciatic nerve won't quiet down until you give it what it wants.
I was thinking this same thing, better head to see someone who knows what theyre doing.

Also, the back tightening up during heavy deadlifts isnt uncommon. But in most cases it doesnt cause discomfort the next day, and definitely not the pain that youre describing.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:09 PM   #6
Terry Gibbs

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Jones View Post
I was thinking this same thing, better head to see someone who knows what theyre doing.

Also, the back tightening up during heavy deadlifts isnt uncommon. But in most cases it doesnt cause discomfort the next day, and definitely not the pain that youre describing.
used to have it really bad, answer was stretching the glutes, used a crossed legs standing stretch, I saw some pro golfer use one day, worked, never had a problem since

when it last hit (35 years ago) I was doing lots of deads, pain was that bad I could only step a few inches forward at a time, thought I would have to be carried, had tears in eyes,

so stretch
Old 07-02-2014, 10:02 AM   #7
Ari Sherwood

Profile:

Generally, radiculopathy (pain down the leg) points to a herniated disc. With time, most resolve on their own, but you may want to get it checked out with a doc to be sure.
Old 07-03-2014, 07:03 PM   #8
Rob Poling Jr

Profile:

I'm not a doctor but if your pain is traveling down your leg it seems to be a disc pressing on the nerve which affects the sciatic nerve running the length of your leg. Everyone has some degree of herniation with discs but never bothers them.

If the pain is at the point where you really can't function I would definitely see your doctor about having tests done. I went through it three times before having surgery. It started out as a small herniation where PT helped but it developed into a large herniation that was beyond shots and PT. See a professional and work on strengthening your core.
Old 07-05-2014, 03:04 PM   #9
Glenn Plomchok

Profile:

What Ari (and others have said).

Mulched my L4/5 disc 11 months ago. Numb, pain, could not walk, muscles flickering due to major nerve impingement. Get it checked out asap. Get an MRI so you know what is going on.
Old 07-06-2014, 07:43 PM   #10
Miah Medeiros

Profile:

Thank you all for your comments and feedback. I did end up seeing a chiropractor and took a week off from training. Still a little tight but the pain seems to be gone for now. Thanks again for looking out!