CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 08-10-2012, 03:12 PM   #1
Jeremy S Barnett

Profile:
390 lb. Overhead Squat (5 lb. PR)

Darian Barnett
Age 18
Body weight 170

Overhead Squat 390 lbs
New 5 lb PR

Check it out W/F/S

Here's his 405 lb. attempt. W/F/S

Got it to the bottom but missed it coming up. He'll get it soon enough. It's coming!

Last edited by Jeremy S Barnett : 08-10-2012 at 03:14 PM.
Old 08-10-2012, 05:58 PM   #2
Sean Smith

Profile:
Re: 390 lb. Overhead Squat (5 lb. PR)

Very impressive. What amazed me most is how close his grip is. He must have amazing shoulder flexibility.
Old 08-11-2012, 06:22 AM   #3
Austin Benson

Profile:

I know this guy is young and he can probably lift more than I can even think about, but I just can't get into this. The fact that he starts with the bar up in he air and his close hand position, to me, doesn't really count as an OHS. It's more of a clean and jerk squat, without the clean or the jerk. I am curious to know what his snatch numbers are. Someone asked for those numbers in your previous post but i never saw them. Post some videos of his snatch and C&J. I'm sure I'll be blown away by both of those videos.
Old 08-11-2012, 06:31 AM   #4
Austin Benson

Profile:

Just watched the video again, it's still somewhat impressive. That is a lot of weight for his size. But I still need some snatch numbers to validate this lift.
Old 08-11-2012, 06:52 AM   #5
Tim Donahey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin Benson View Post
The fact that he starts with the bar up in he air and his close hand position, to me, doesn't really count as an OHS. It's more of a clean and jerk squat, without the clean or the jerk.
bar overhead + clean and jerk squat - clean and jerk = overhead squat

Yup, it really counts.

Awesome lift!
Old 08-11-2012, 10:39 AM   #6
David A Hunt

Profile:

That is absolutely incredible. I thought this was going to be like a 400 lb guy. I'm 195 with 405 back squat, but can only manage about 145 on the overhead squat. Think I need some serious coaching!
Old 08-11-2012, 12:03 PM   #7
Richard Colon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Hunt View Post
I'm 195 with 405 back squat, but can only manage about 145 on the overhead squat. Think I need some serious coaching!
You don't need serious coaching. You need mobility and a few simple cues to "punch out" or "rotate at your shoulder blades" or "turn and lock your armpits towards the way you are looking". That is all.

With an OH of 145 and a Back Squat of 405, it has nothing to do with legs, hips, etc. Use mobility WoD and search for overhead or shoulder mobility. Do that, lock your shoulders and progress as you would any other lift, just start light obviously. Whatever it took to get your Back Squat up, do the same. Maybe work until you can get solid, locked in reps at 95lbs. Then next time go 115. Then 3x5 at 135. You will progress past 145 soon. Make sure shoulders are mobile and lock them and you win. There ya go, serious coaching for free in a few sentences.
Old 08-11-2012, 01:35 PM   #8
Jeremy S Barnett

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Colon View Post
You don't need serious coaching. You need mobility and a few simple cues to "punch out" or "rotate at your shoulder blades" or "turn and lock your armpits towards the way you are looking". That is all.

With an OH of 145 and a Back Squat of 405, it has nothing to do with legs, hips, etc. Use mobility WoD and search for overhead or shoulder mobility. Do that, lock your shoulders and progress as you would any other lift, just start light obviously. Whatever it took to get your Back Squat up, do the same. Maybe work until you can get solid, locked in reps at 95lbs. Then next time go 115. Then 3x5 at 135. You will progress past 145 soon. Make sure shoulders are mobile and lock them and you win. There ya go, serious coaching for free in a few sentences.

All great points Richard. You can also click HERE W/F/S to view the last 8 weeks of Darian's training program. Maybe that can help you too.

Also here's some Youtube videos of his clean n jerk and other lifts:

305 Clean N Jerk W/F/S

240 lb. Snatch W/F/S

340 lb. Push Jerk W/F/S (Recently did 365 but did not get to video tape it)

551 lb. Deadlift when he was 16 yr. old W/F/S

Austin, Let me know if you need any more videos to impress you. He has plenty more. Go to Youtube and and type in Darian Barnett or "Big D" to see more of his videos.
Old 08-11-2012, 07:36 PM   #9
Shawn M Wilson

Profile:

Jeremy at what age did you really start hitting strength / heavy weights with him? Also if you don't mind (and remember) what kind of frequency and schedule did you do over those years?

Looking mainly for starting knowledge and having an idea of the path you took to get to this point (obviously hard work and a desire on his part). I have young boys and focus mainly on body weight stuff and form / conditioning at this stage.

Thanks

Shawn
Old 08-11-2012, 08:12 PM   #10
Austin Benson

Profile:

Quote:
Austin, Let me know if you need any more videos to impress you.
(not sure how to quote what others say)

That snatch was very impressive. He made it look really easy.