CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 05-10-2007, 02:36 PM   #1
Colm O'Reilly

Profile:
Hey All,

I was doing the WOD today which called for Power Cleans and I've been trying to use the hook grip.

Thing is, I feel like the bar's going to slip out between my thumb and fingers. I have stubby enough fingers so when I wrap around a bar only my finger tips are making contact with my thumb.

Should I keep at it? Is there any part of the technique I'm missing that you can direct me towards?

Thanks in advance,
Colm
-Loving Olympic Lifts
Old 05-11-2007, 06:46 AM   #2
Roark Marsh

Profile:
I'm still pretty lazy about using a real hook grip, but the description of it in Rippetoe's Starting Strength made me realize what was really going on.

The idea is really to only use your arms to transfer momentum/force to the bar. To do this you need to stop gripping the bar as much, to loosen up your forearms for example. The hook grip provides a "hook" for the bar to rest in, and just like racking a bar on hooks, that's the only part applying force to the bar.

I have short fingers, and really stubby thumbs, but I think the key is to pretty much mangle your thumb with this grip. That's why you see taped thumbs.

Very much not expert in this, but I'm sure someone else will chime in and help out.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:58 AM   #3
Elliot Royce

Profile:
Hum, that's a tough one. I think if you keep at it for a week or two, you won't feel strange. Just to confirm: the thumb is bent under the first or first and second fingers and then the fingers close over it. Otherwise it feels just like a regular grip and I've forgotten that I even use it, except on snatches when it does rub my thumb a bit (so tape it).
Old 05-14-2007, 11:18 PM   #4
Adam Stanecki

Profile:
The hook grip should make the bar feel more secure. It's uncomfortable at first but you'll get used to it quickly.