CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 12-02-2008, 03:16 PM   #1
Travis Ramme

Profile:
Belly Fat

This post is more for my wife, though she isn't aware I'm making it.

Let me preface by saying that my wife is very fit and very slim. She's currently 5'5" and ~110. She works out 5 times a week, a mix between cardio and strength, and is in great shape. I think she has a perfect, healthy body.

That said, she is absolutely mortified due to a bit of belly fat she has. It is literally the only place on her where she has any "extra." And when I say "extra," mind you, that's her opinion.

As I said, I think she's fine. I can see what she's griping about (she has a SMALL little pooch), but don't agree it's a problem. Regardless, I would love to be able to help her by telling her what to do to make it go away.

She eats "healthy," in that she doesn't eat a lot of fats, watches her caloric intake, etc. She doesn't eat an excessive amount of carbs, but she does eat a fair amount; mainly things like English muffins, bread with sandwiches, etc. Other than that, she primarily eats fruits, veggies, etc.

Is there some other direction I should be pushing her? It's just this (in her words) "stubborn belly fat" that won't go away; as I said, she doesn't have an ounce of fat anywhere else on her.

Thanks in advance,

Travis
Old 12-02-2008, 03:44 PM   #2
Daniel Olmstead

Profile:
Re: Belly Fat

Umbilical fat is often a sign of adrenal fatigue (ie, too much cortisol). She may need to sleep more and work to alleviate stress and overtraining. 5 times a week is a lot.

Fish oil wouldn't hurt, either, if she's not already taking it.
Old 12-02-2008, 03:45 PM   #3
Travis Ramme

Profile:
Belly Fat

Hi all,

I posted this thread in the nutrition forum, but seeing as this board gets a little more traffic, I figured I'd try here too.

This post is more for my wife, though she isn't aware I'm making it.

Let me preface by saying that my wife is very fit and very slim. She's currently 5'5" and ~110. She works out 5 times a week, a mix between cardio and strength, and is in great shape. I think she has a perfect, healthy body.

That said, she is absolutely mortified due to a bit of belly fat she has. It is literally the only place on her where she has any "extra." And when I say "extra," mind you, that's her opinion.

As I said, I think she's fine. I can see what she's griping about (she has a SMALL little pooch), but don't agree it's a problem. Regardless, I would love to be able to help her by telling her what to do to make it go away.

She eats "healthy," in that she doesn't eat a lot of fats, watches her caloric intake, etc. She doesn't eat an excessive amount of carbs, but she does eat a fair amount; mainly things like English muffins, bread with sandwiches, etc. Other than that, she primarily eats fruits, veggies, etc.

Is there some other direction I should be pushing her? It's just this (in her words) "stubborn belly fat" that won't go away; as I said, she doesn't have an ounce of fat anywhere else on her. Do you all believe this is diet related or related to her fitness/workout style?

Thanks in advance,

Travis
Old 12-02-2008, 04:00 PM   #4
Melissa Urban

Profile:

Duplicate post by the OP. Responding in "Nutrition".
Old 12-02-2008, 04:01 PM   #5
Melissa Urban

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Ramme View Post

Is there some other direction I should be pushing her? It's just this (in her words) "stubborn belly fat" that won't go away; as I said, she doesn't have an ounce of fat anywhere else on her. Do you all believe this is diet related or related to her fitness/workout style?
Fat loss is, for most, 90% about diet. The diet you describe isn't what is generally considered "good" around here, from a generally accepted Zone or Paleo perspective. Eating little fat and "a fair amount" of processed grains such as English muffins and bread aren't doing her any favors.

She can tighten up her diet in a giant way by eliminating all grains, processed foods and sugars and eating more good fat, protein and vegetables, and she'll probably be able to drop her BF%. There's a ton of good info in the Nutrition forum, and under the "Start Here" section of the Main Page. She's the one who will have to decide if the religious attention to "clean" eating is worth it.

I will say, however, that no matter how much I may gripe about my body or perceived areas of "fat", I'd be irrationally p***ed at my husband if he then gave me unsolicited advice as to what to do about it. Are you sure she's not just looking for a little reassurance? Just a thought.

Melissa
Old 12-02-2008, 04:04 PM   #6
Zach S

Profile:

She could try a ketogenic diet, they seem to work very well in getting those stubborn last few lbs of fat off.
Old 12-02-2008, 04:07 PM   #7
Frank E Morel

Profile:

25? or 55? need an age here.

could be just hormonal.
Old 12-02-2008, 04:08 PM   #8
Frank E Morel

Profile:

simple avenue to look at..

what age is she??
25 vs 55?
could be hormonal.
Old 12-02-2008, 04:10 PM   #9
Travis Ramme

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa Byers View Post
I will say, however, that no matter how much I may gripe about my body or perceived areas of "fat", I'd be irrationally p***ed at my husband if he then gave me unsolicited advice as to what to do about it. Are you sure she's not just looking for a little reassurance? Just a thought.

Melissa
Melissa,

Thanks for the response; I have told her I figured it was diet, though I am, admittidly, not an expert on the subject.

And yes, I'm quite, quite sure she's not looking for reassurance. I give her (honest) reassurance any time she asks, because I really do feel she looks great. She isn't down about it or anything, she just sees it as a problem area and is earnestly interested in how to fix it. Being fit has always been easy for her, so the fact that she can't make it go away bugs her.

As such, when she asks me if I know what could help, I want to be able to answer. She knows full well how I feel and acknowledges that others might not see it the same way she does. Believe me when I say it's not unsolicited advice and I'm not offending her.

Thanks for the heads up, though
Old 12-02-2008, 04:12 PM   #10
Travis Ramme

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank E Morel View Post
simple avenue to look at..

what age is she??
25 vs 55?
could be hormonal.

Hi Frank,