CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 10-29-2008, 08:14 AM   #1
John Kuhlman

Profile:
Attention C2 market value gurus

I've been watching the local Craig's List for the past couple of months to see what I can snag a C2 for. Unfortunately, we don't see many come through here (1 in that time) and the person is asking $800 for a D/PM3. For a few bucks more, I can get a brand new one...including shipping.

I've seen a wide range of prices, and price recommendations, on this board. Some say don't pick up a used one for more than 1/2 it's purchase price, others have said a D/PM3 would be a fair buy at $750.

Given that scenario, what's the consensus on this: Buy a supposedly "used a few times" D/PM3 for $750 or spend a few more beans to get one brand new out of the box?
Old 10-29-2008, 08:43 AM   #2
Christopher Clements

Profile:
Re: Attention C2 market value gurus

No way I would spend $750 for a used model D. Like you said for just a little more you can get one delivered to your door from Rogue Fitness. To me, a fair price for a used D would be between $500-$600. Maybe a little more if it is like new. I've seen one D on CL where the seller was asking $275...that didn't last long. By the time I inquired it had sold. The deals are out there, just be patient and check CL frequently. It also helps to set up RSS feeds, this makes searching for the deals much more efficient.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:14 AM   #3
Derek Franks

Profile:

I think $750 is fair if it really has only been used a few times. At $650-700 it becomes a good deal from my perspective if it's in good condition.

I look at it this way: the standard price is now $900 plus shipping ($50?) for a Model D/PM3. A 20% savings for a lightly used rower seems reasonable to me.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:45 AM   #4
Christopher Clements

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Franks View Post
I think $750 is fair if it really has only been used a few times. At $650-700 it becomes a good deal from my perspective if it's in good condition.

I look at it this way: the standard price is now $900 plus shipping ($50?) for a Model D/PM3. A 20% savings for a lightly used rower seems reasonable to me.
Unless something has changed in the last month or so you can get one for less than that shipped from Rogue.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:18 PM   #5
Derek Franks

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Clements View Post
Unless something has changed in the last month or so you can get one for less than that shipped from Rogue.
I know... you have to call for pricing. I suspect they're about $50 cheaper than direct from Concept 2. That's a guesstimate on my part though. Concept 2's pricing went up a recently and I have to imagine that it hit Rogue, G2, etc as well.
Old 10-29-2008, 05:25 PM   #6
Robert Peck Fletcher

Profile:

I purchased a new D from C2 in April. The price I paid was worth it. A used rower all depends on the condition it is in. If it is a D in really good shape I would buy it for 750.00 if I did not already have one. I have bought and then sold numerous model B and C's in the last 6 months. It all depends on the condition. The concept 2 is beyond tough. I just bought a 15 year old model C a few days ago. It has really been used and the chain was rusty. Guess what? It rowed like a champ. I am in the process of cleaning it up. Next, I plan on replacing the crucial moving parts. Once I have rebuilt the rower with parts purchased from C2, it will almost be brand new. The bottom line for me is that if you can write the check for a new D, then do it. It comes with a 2 year warranty. If not, buy a used one. If any part does break, you will be able to repair it for very little money. Buying a C2 is money well spent. Just compare price vs. condition. Check out the forums on the C2 website. Good Luck!
Old 10-30-2008, 06:26 AM   #7
Randy Tarasevich

Profile:

I made up my mind that I was not paying more than 50% of retail value. With that said, I think $750 for a model D is an absolute rip-off. For less than $100 more ($840) you can walk with a brand new one from either Rogue fitness or C2 directly. I paid $400 for a like-new model C and I thought that was oo much. Be a tough negotiator. I know it's hard, but be patient. It took me 7 months to find one at the price I wanted.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:13 AM   #8
Matt DeMinico

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Tarasevich View Post
I made up my mind that I was not paying more than 50% of retail value. With that said, I think $750 for a model D is an absolute rip-off. For less than $100 more ($840) you can walk with a brand new one from either Rogue fitness or C2 directly. I paid $400 for a like-new model C and I thought that was oo much. Be a tough negotiator. I know it's hard, but be patient. It took me 7 months to find one at the price I wanted.
I'm with you on that. There's a model D for sale here on Craigslist (actually in Windsor) for like $700, and it's been there for a long time because nobody's going to pay that much when they can buy a brand new one shipped for just a little more.

The way I look at it, if I wanted to buy a specific model (I don't, I just want to buy a C2 that works and has at least a Performance Monitor (read: not a Model A), I'd pay the following prices used:

Model E - $600
Model D - $500
Model C - $350 tops
Model B - $200 tops

That being said, I'm not buying any Model D's because people want more than I want to spend on a rower right now.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:02 AM   #9
Lee Austin

Profile:

You guys really should go check the condition before you write off a used rower. A lot of people buy rowers, use them twice, and then don't get around to selling them for a year or two. My rowing club gets offers to buy almost mint condition ergs all the time.
Old 10-30-2008, 05:29 PM   #10
Justin Rovtar

Profile:

I recently purchased a "New/Used" D PM3 here in Los Angeles for $750. It did not have a scratch on it and the Odometer had "0" meters rowed on it.

Saved me $200 more or less and it was brand new.