CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 01-05-2010, 10:36 PM   #1
Kevin Burns

Profile:
Pinched Nerve

So I have what seems to be a pinched nerve (somewhere). I have a bit of numbness of the thumb and 1/2 of my index finger. Anyone have suggestions besides a chiropractor on dealing with a pinched nerve.

I've read that its either in the neck or a pec minor muscle inflammation is causing it.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:42 PM   #2
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: Pinched Nerve

Assuming you have a desk job, check and make sure everything's ergonomically correct. I intermittently have something similar that seems to be related to posture at the computer. My doctor -- after ruling out a structural problem -- also gave me a set of neck spasm exercises that seems to help. You could probably find them with a search.

Katherine
Old 01-06-2010, 02:09 AM   #3
Brian Strump

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Burns View Post
So I have what seems to be a pinched nerve (somewhere). I have a bit of numbness of the thumb and 1/2 of my index finger. Anyone have suggestions besides a chiropractor on dealing with a pinched nerve.

I've read that its either in the neck or a pec minor muscle inflammation is causing it.
Curious why rule out the chiropractor? Bad experience? Don't "believe" in them?
There are several causes to the symptoms you are experiencing. And more information would be helpful. When did it start? How? Is it constant numbness? Any associated neck, upper back pain? Diabetic? Muscle weakness(biceps, triceps, forearms, hand)?

You also need to rule out irritation of the nerves as it passes through your elbow, and wrist. Could be disc herniation too.

I would strongly suggest taking a few days of rest and getting to the bottom of your problem.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:07 AM   #4
Kevin Burns

Profile:

Oh I am not ruling out any professional help. Going to the chiro today actually. Just looking for any extra experience people might have on this.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:39 AM   #5
Michael V. Erickson

Profile:

Kevin,
A little over twenty years ago I had complete paralysis of my thumb and index finger and a great deal of pain in my right arm up to my armpit. Initial diagnosis (Kaiser) was carpal tunnel. Treatment (large doses of Motrin if I remember correctly) had no effect. After a few months I went to a physical therapist out of desperation. She actually manipulated my hand and arm will asking me to resist against different pressure. She referred to her books and diagnosed a nerve entrapment of the interosseous (sp) of the median nerve. She wrote it down, I took this to the Kaiser Ortho doc. They scheduled a "nerve release of the interosseous branch of the median nerve". After the nerve segment grew back (over a year) I regained the use of my thumb and index finger. Been okay every since. Haven't gone back to Kaiser's. I didn't get a real physical examination until I went to the PT (who I knew) on my own.

Not saying this is what you have but just relating my experience. If the doc is not doing a real physical exam to find out what works and what doesn't they're just guessing and just lucky if they get it right.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:01 PM   #6
Steven Low

Profile:

1. Get everything massaged from your neck down to your wrist. 2-3x a day, 3-4x a week (friends or significant others will work I guess... focus on anything that's tight or tender).
2. Fix your posture.
3. Do nerve glides wfs
http://www.handhealthresources.com/S.../Exercises.htm

This will clear up most simple issues. If it does not improve or gets worse within a week see a doc.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:38 AM   #7
Kevin Burns

Profile:

So I figured out and solved the problem.

It was a tight pec minor muscle. Apparently a tight pec minor can pull the shoulders forward and pinch a nerve. Had 2 massages and 3-4 active release sessions and its gone !
Old 02-02-2010, 07:34 PM   #8
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Burns View Post
So I figured out and solved the problem.

It was a tight pec minor muscle. Apparently a tight pec minor can pull the shoulders forward and pinch a nerve. Had 2 massages and 3-4 active release sessions and its gone !
Yep.. good stuff.