CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 04-25-2011, 10:18 AM   #1
Mike Woo

Profile:
New EMS member

Hello everyone!

My name is Mike, I am a Paramedic and am just switching up my workout routine to try out Crossfit because I hear it's the best workout for people in the EMS field.

A little bit about myself
I am 5'11, 185lbs, I have been weight lifting for 6 years, heaviest weight was 240lbs 2 years ago. I decided to quit the weights for a while and focus on cardio and my diet which lead me to where I am now. I love my body but I haven't been about to gain anymore strenght since my weight loss.

Old routine
I was doing a focused muscle everytime I went to the gym. It would be in this order: chest, triceps, back, biceps, shoulders, legs, I would through in a cardio/rest day here and there. I was pretty regular, at least 5 days a week I would be at the gym or active (outside running).

I would do 4 exercises per workout, 6 sets with increasing weight and decreasing reps as I went. Example:
Incline Dumbell Bench Press
45lbs - 10 reps
55lbs - 8-10 reps
65lbs - 8 reps
70lbs - 6 reps
75lbs - 6 reps
80lbs - 6 reps

My Crossfit history
I realized that on a call I am not going to be bench pressing anything or bicept curling my patients and need more work related exercises. I am planning on joining the Fire Department where I live and be a Fire Medic. So I have been looking at this site as well as Crossfit FireFighters and so far I have completed:

“Helen”
Three rounds for time: My time was 8:07
Run 400 meters
1 1/2 pood Kettlebell X 21 swings (or 55 pound dumbbell swing)
12 Pull-ups

"Danny"
Complete as many rounds in 20 minutes as you can of: My result was 4.5 rounds
24 inch Box Jump, 15 reps
115 pound Push Press, 10 reps
15 Pull-ups

I plan on doing
“Michael”
Three rounds for time of: TBA later today
Run 800 meters
50 Back Extensions
50 Sit-ups

There is a local Fire Fighter that visits my gym and he does Crossfit Football, haven't had a time to look too much into that because of my scheduale but I am open to anything and everything.

My goals with Crossfit
I want to prevent back injuries and make sure I can keep up with the demands of my job. I am a casual right now so my shifts vary. Last week I worked 6 days straight managing 2 workouts (because I wasn't on call at the station at night or wasn't busy with the girlfriend). I got 4 hours of sleep each night because most stations are 1.5 hours of highway driving away. I need something to keep my body active, maybe I could do at the station at night with minimal/no equipment, and better prepare myself for the next call.

My questions
I am confused as to what scheduale to roughly follow. I have seen some members suggest that they listen to their bodies, some say 3 on 1 rest day. What do you guys recommend?

Also some WOD are Deadlift 1-1-1-1-1-1-1 reps for example. What does that mean? 7 sets of max weight no rest?

I'm used to being at the gym for 1.5 hours at a time and this is greatly cutting down my time which is great but some of the exercises don't really get my heart going. I am afraid I am not doing enough. Am I crazy or do I need to modify it to better suit me?

Thanks so much for reading this and I look forward to contributing to this message board and learning all I can learn!
Old 04-25-2011, 01:04 PM   #2
Rebecca Roth

Profile:
Re: New EMS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Woo View Post
My questions
I am confused as to what scheduale to roughly follow. I have seen some members suggest that they listen to their bodies, some say 3 on 1 rest day. What do you guys recommend?

Also some WOD are Deadlift 1-1-1-1-1-1-1 reps for example. What does that mean? 7 sets of max weight no rest?

I'm used to being at the gym for 1.5 hours at a time and this is greatly cutting down my time which is great but some of the exercises don't really get my heart going. I am afraid I am not doing enough. Am I crazy or do I need to modify it to better suit me?

Welcome!

Schedule is highly personal, the typical recommendation is 3 on 1 off, or 5 on 2 off, for best results. However, especially when starting out you should be more flexible to take rest days whenever needed, with a minimum of 3 workouts a week - though given your times I doubt this will be too much trouble.

For a 1-1-1-1-1-1-1 etc, this is an untimed max effort strength day, you should take a minimum 2-3 minutes rest between sets and increase weight on every rep as possible (typically just starting slightly below your 1RM).

Some workouts are supposed to be more strength oriented than getting your heart going, even ones that are for time. Time spent in the gym may not be relevant to your overall GPP or general physical preparedness, if you are truly pushing yourself a 3 minute Fran is going to be a brutal workout. You should also make sure you are appropriately stretching and working on mobility 10-20 minutes before your wod. Additionally, most affiliates do some kind of supplementary strength or skill work before a wod as well, so if you were to go in to a class it is easy to fill an hour, even when the wod is only 5-12 minutes.
Old 04-25-2011, 02:52 PM   #3
Mike Woo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca Roth View Post
Welcome!

For a 1-1-1-1-1-1-1 etc, this is an untimed max effort strength day, you should take a minimum 2-3 minutes rest between sets and increase weight on every rep as possible (typically just starting slightly below your 1RM).

Some workouts are supposed to be more strength oriented than getting your heart going, even ones that are for time. Time spent in the gym may not be relevant to your overall GPP or general physical preparedness, if you are truly pushing yourself a 3 minute Fran is going to be a brutal workout. You should also make sure you are appropriately stretching and working on mobility 10-20 minutes before your wod. Additionally, most affiliates do some kind of supplementary strength or skill work before a wod as well, so if you were to go in to a class it is easy to fill an hour, even when the wod is only 5-12 minutes.
Do you have a link to how I can calculate my 1RM?

Also I have never heard of doing the WOD after my regular workout. So I could continue with my current work out regiment and then after I finish it off with Crossfit?

I thought there wasn't a Crossfit gym here in Winnipeg but Google has corrected me. I will go there and check out there facility sometime this week.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:22 PM   #4
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Woo View Post
Do you have a link to how I can calculate my 1RM?

Also I have never heard of doing the WOD after my regular workout. So I could continue with my current work out regiment and then after I finish it off with Crossfit?

I thought there wasn't a Crossfit gym here in Winnipeg but Google has corrected me. I will go there and check out there facility sometime this week.
well you can take a look at sites like Crossfit Endurance, Crossfit Football, or there is a link somewhere around here to the 70s Big Strength & Conditioning program, all of which are for more advanced crossfitters who want to do additional work on top of the wod... however most of these types of programs only include short wods, so if you are doing 20min+ or hero wods daily like some do, then no you shouldn't be combining it with other things. The wod (WORKOUT of the day) shouldn't really be done in addition to another separate workout, especially when you are starting out, but like I said there are things you can and should be doing to supplement and improve your performance on a daily basis including good stretching and mobility work (mobilitywod.com is the norm), strength training (days with very short wods), and low intensity skill work (days with longer wods).

As far as calculating a 1RM, you can't really. Your 1RM is simply the most you can pull/push/whatever in a given movement for no more than 1 rep. some people have an insane 1RM, but poor muscular endurance so their 5RM is significantly lower, others have a 1RM and 5RM that are only a few lbs apart. If its your first time finding your 1RM, start at a weight that you find challenging and keep raising it until your form degrades rather than pushing yourself to true failure - there is no need to injure yourself for a number.

Last edited by Rebecca Roth : 04-25-2011 at 03:26 PM.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:12 AM   #5
Mike Woo

Profile:

Ah ok. Thank you for the information. Yesterday I completed:

“Michael”
Three rounds for time of: My time was 19:50
Run 800 meters
50 Back Extensions
50 Sit-ups

I call the Crossfit gym in my city and have time next weekend to check it out.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:29 AM   #6
Joshua Gritton

Profile:

o.O Were you a provincial sprinter or something man? Your run times are extremely fast and I was a sprinter myself so that is kinda saying something. Good work so far though.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:11 AM   #7
Mike Woo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Gritton View Post
o.O Were you a provincial sprinter or something man? Your run times are extremely fast and I was a sprinter myself so that is kinda saying something. Good work so far though.
Nope not a track and field guy lol. Just a little bit of circuit training under my belt but nothing major.