CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 08-03-2010, 04:52 AM   #1
Darla Powell

Profile:
Picking a Box

Hey guys,

Should I be looking for a box that follows the HQ WODs? Does it matter? I did start at a local box and had my first WOD (which was of their creation) but there were some scaling issues for my first WOD and was considering trying another box out since I have no frame of reference.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:09 AM   #2
Tim Barker

Profile:
Re: Picking a Box

Try out as many as you can. I've been to 3 of the ones in my city and another 3 on leave/TDY trips.

It is always a good idea to see how other folks are doing things.

Then choose the place you feel the best about.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:09 AM   #3
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

The biggest consideration should be quality of trainers and how committed and knowledgeable they are. You can always tweak programming to fit your goals once you've gotten used to the workouts, but you can't really make up for trainers who don't know what they're doing or don't care.

If your affiliate does its own programming take a look at a few weeks' worth of it and make sure it's smart and fits your goals. If they're doing three or four 30+ minute metcons per week then that shows they don't really understand programming and are just interested in making people sore so they feel like they've gotten a good workout. You can find plenty of examples of good programming (check out the websites of some of the top 10 or 20 affiliate teams from the Games) but the main stuff most of them have in common is that they'll include a few sets of a heavy lift just about every day, some skillwork, then a metcon in the 5-15 minute range. They might go over 30 minutes once every other week, but not much more frequently than that.

When you said you had some "scaling issues" what do you mean? Were the trainers unwilling to let you scale or ignorant about how a workout should be scaled? If so find another gym.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:23 AM   #4
Scott Stevens

Profile:

everything said above, and...

How does the average day of class go down at the box? Ideally IMO there would be a warmup, some skills work relative to the WOD, the WOD, then possibly a straight strength or skill type "cool down" after. All instructor led and involved.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:47 AM   #5
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Tim's right. Not important to find a box that follows the HQ WODs. It's much more important to find a box with:
  • excellent trainers, committed to Crossfit and to growing as trainers
  • programming philosophy that aligns with your goals, both short-term and long-term
  • all the space and equipment that you'll need, or (at least) a convincing commitment to buy more as time goes on
  • other clientele with similar goals
      • this one's debatable. My experience is that many clients eventually start lobbying with the trainers to set the programming toward their particular goals, which may or may not match yours. If the majority of the box's clients have similar goals, the behind-the-scenes lobbying that goes on has less of a chance of misaligning with your goals.
  • close proximity
  • (for me, at least) a sense of community and support. The folks at our box cheer, encourage, and teach one another. We get together from time to time for post-WOD meals, weekend pot-lucks, and parties of various sorts. As trivial as this may sound, the net effect is that our sense of community adds to our desire to keep coming back for the next WOD. It's also apparent to new people who walk in the door. They see that we all get along and legitimately enjoy each other's company. We're not a bunch of strangers sitting around by ourselves waiting for the workout to start and then leaving immediately when it's done. When you're new and (possibly) intimidated, there's little that's more comforting than having a community to support you.
Long-winded answer, but I hope it helps.

Cheers,

Mark
Old 08-03-2010, 07:00 AM   #6
Brian Bedell

Profile:

Agree with above, and I don't think many affiliates follow MP fyi.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:01 AM   #7
Darla Powell

Profile:

Thanks guys. The scaling issue was going from 50 pull ups to 100 jumping pull ups. For my first WOD. as far as the programming goes, I'm not really educated enough to know what I am looking at really.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:26 AM   #8
Brian Bedell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darla Powell View Post
Thanks guys. The scaling issue was going from 50 pull ups to 100 jumping pull ups. For my first WOD. as far as the programming goes, I'm not really educated enough to know what I am looking at really.
Is that 100 jumping pullups with negatives? Personally, and I'm L1 certified (for what it's worth), I don't think that is an appropriate sub.

Regarding programming, the largest distinction is that some affiliates add or have a strength focus, i.e. they will add 3x5 of BS before a wod. And others just do a 30+ min. wod.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:31 AM   #9
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Darla,

How many dead hang pull ups can you do?
Old 08-03-2010, 09:41 AM   #10
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

100 of just about anything for a new member is dumb and borderline negligent...especially jumping pullups which can easily cause rhabdo.