CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 07-20-2010, 07:34 AM   #1
Daniel Tyminski

Profile:
Picking up clients

So Ive had my box for about 7 months now and I only have about 25 members. I have a nice location and Ive done a lot of advertising. Do you guys know of any tips and advice you can give me to boost my clientele? Thank you!
Old 07-20-2010, 07:46 AM   #2
Justin Keane

Profile:
Re: Picking up clients

Daniel,
I'd try simply asking for referrals. Your existing clients are going to be your best marketing tool--ask them, point blank, to tell their friends about their training and bring them in for your intro sessions.

And make it worth their while--half a month off for referring a new member, etc. Word of mouth really is the best advertising there is IMHO.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:58 AM   #3
Daniel Tyminski

Profile:

Thats funny...only 3 of my members have taken advantage of that. I offer a whole month free and for some reason it just doesnt seem to work. I will keep insisting about it. Thank you though!
Old 07-20-2010, 12:31 PM   #4
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Definitely referrals from existing members.

My affiliate doesn't advertise. They don't even have business cards, haha. Our On Ramp classes fill up months in advance. The times and dates just went out for the September class last night, and people were already bringing in deposits today.

Make sure your website is well done and updated and that it comes up in search engines when someone searches for CrossFit in your area.
Old 07-21-2010, 12:01 AM   #5
Mark Wood

Profile:

I have very very few clients and I just cant seem to get any more.

I'm doing a session along a common exercise path this saturday morning… shall see how that goes
Old 07-21-2010, 07:09 AM   #6
Matt Lindsey

Profile:

Take a class on a "field trip" wod to a local park when it is busy and do a boot camp style workout that will expose on lookers to what you are doing and this might get you some extra attention and have newbies come up to you and ask some questions. It will also be nice for your clients to get out of the box for the day and have a change of scenery.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:28 AM   #7
Alexander Martin

Profile:

Here is some great advice I got from another CF owner locally:

"This question is very hard and the main reason is because a lot of people want it to be easy. Somehow, even experienced CrossFitters think they can put a website link up, start a webpage and a Facebook fan page, and its easy street from there. That’s like thinking you can just show up at the gym and not even do the WOD and get the benefits.

As you know, this is far from the truth. It’s actually comical to me to watch the early CrossFit gyms now going on about their “business” acumen and selling “How To” tactics when a lot more than likely were the first gym in the area and fell haphazardly into success. Don’t get me wrong they would have needed to be excellent to retain their clients, and smart enough to adapt and learn how to run a business, but I can tell you they never had to compete against 4 other affiliates and hundreds of “certified” CrossFit trainers selling CrossFit on every corner and soon to be in every Globogym.

Anyway, enough ranting.

Here are my first few pieces of advice.
1) Walk/Jog a 5-10 mile radius of your box and introduce yourself to each and every business
a. Every business is a potential client: think employee discount program, lunch/learns, etc…
b. I know one CrossFit that has a deal going with a real estate company’s members

2) Make sure every athletic store near you has your cards at the cash register
a. Think Dick’s, Sport Chalet, Nick Women, Lululemon, Champs, etc….
b. Make rounds one a week or so to restock

3) Wear your CrossFit shirt every day. Be a walking billboard.
a. No Joke

4) Map out every school / police station / fire station / military
a. Talk to every Athletic Director / Coach / Chief / Captain
b. Offer free seminars / lunch learns
c. Offer free months for new recruits / freshman / etc…
d. Make friend with these people the best you can
Meet people and let your passion and conviction for what you do shine into their lives.

If you have members, befriend them on facebook, give them shoutouts on your webpage, make them stars and legends of your program.

They are your product. If they are not experiencing gains and transformation you are dead in the water.

That’s a start anyway. You have to be vigorous and uncompromising in your preaching and spreading the light about CrossFit. There really is no other way.

Buying internet space, fancy fliers, great stickers and tshirts. That crap doesn’t work. Passion and a connection and deep love for human beings creates success. "

This has helped us a bit in generating new business.
Old 07-28-2010, 04:27 AM   #8
Florian Haseloff

Profile:

Good advice Alex, will do a few of these strategies myself in the near future.

So far what worked best for me is to make it about your clients not your business. Primary target is to treat your clients better than yourself.
This is what most people experience: With excellent coaching you wont need any advertising. Become the one who changed their lives forever and they will scream it to the world!
Old 07-31-2010, 01:02 PM   #9
Skip Chase

Profile:

You may consider hiring a successful affiliate owner as a consultant, to come into your box for up to a week and analyze your business.

When I read these posts my thoughts are, "Something is wrong." Quality of training; poor communication skills; attitude within the business; lack of cleanliness, etc.

If everything is 'good', current members SHOULD be bringing in friends, relatives and co-workers without a 'bribe' or gift. We've never offered anything for referrals and maintain steady growth.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:34 AM   #10
Jesse Gray

Profile:

1) Don't be afraid to ask your clients for referals
2) Do your Saturday WODs in a park or at your gym and have them open to anyone
3) Call local coaches and get them into your box for a free trial, often if you get the coach he will want the whole team to get into it.
4) Get the contact info of every person who walks into your box. this can be done via a waiver they have to sign. Once you have that info use it! Far too many Cf gyms do a poor job of following up leads.
5) Be passionate about it! When you live, breathe and love CF, people will notice and want to check it out. Always be nice, positive and have business cards on you.