CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-11-2005, 11:49 AM   #1
Jim Aldridge

Profile:
I am still trying to learn some of the new exercises that regularly show up in the WOD. Double unders still elude me as do one legged squats. My Olympic lifts need work. While I still haven't mastered the hspu, I have done what I consider pioneering work in the hsfp (hand stand face plant), which involoves losing complete control due to a lack of balance and lactic acid buildup in the deltoids, and then engaging in a rapid descent that culminates in plowing a small divot of sod out of the ground using primarily your front incisors and canine teeth. (It's a very intricate move, for those of you who wish to be coached through it further, by all means, private message me.) However, I digress...

In Pavel's GTG theory, he advocates working on no more than 2 new exercises (skills) at a time, in order to speed up the learning curve. Given the fact that I have numerous new skills to develop, does your experience bear out Pavel's advice? Would I learn them all quicker if I focused on one or two at a time, or will I learn them just as quickly if I practice all of them simultaneously?
Old 06-11-2005, 03:01 PM   #2
Peter Galloway

Profile:

I think the HSPU and 1LS are basically what you might call "strength" skills, whereas double-unders and O-lifting are more a matter of technique. Given this disparity, I think you could succesfully work them all at the same time; there wouldn't be enough "encroachment" between the various exercises to affect their development. My advice would be to work the double-unders (maybe interspersed with normal skipping) and O-lift technique with PVC pipe as part of your warm-up, and use GTG with the 1LS and HSPU.

Old 06-11-2005, 04:42 PM   #3
Troy Archie

Profile:
For things like handstands, levers, l-holds and pretty much gymnastic moves in general, I'd say that yes, working on 2 skills at a time is really the only way to go.

As for things like pull-ups, one legged squats, push-ups, dips, sit-ups... I'm finding that you can work a couple more of them at a time so long as you don't go near failure.

I've found my best improvements on the gymnastic stuff by setting aside a separate session just to work on a single skill. For the other skills, I've found my best improvements to be while working them periodically throughout the day like first thing when you get up, as a warm up, before you go to bed...but that's just me personally.